Tavan Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 757 students

Posted September 18, 2014

My oldest daughter went to Tavan from preschool through 5th grade and she absolutely loved it there. My second child is currently in 3rd grade there and wouldn't want to go anywhere else. I am hoping that Ms. Serna will be there when my other two start school. Not only do my children get the support that they need while attending the school they still receive it even after they have left. I wouldn't want my kids to go anywhere else because this is a community school and everyone's involvement help shape and support our future leaders.

Posted September 4, 2014

After learning that 5 families disenrolled from Tavan last week to go to a charter school, I feel compelled to write a review about my experience as a Tavan parent. My daughter is in the 5th grade and has been at Tavan since kindergarten. We chose Tavan not just because of their great reputation but also because of all the services they have to offer. We were willing to drive our daughter 10 miles to go to an out of district school knowing that she would be in a safe, supportive and academically challenging environment. Lily's been fortunate to have amazing teachers EACH and EVERY year, a speech pathologist that knows what she's doing and a pro-active principal that doesn't just talk the talk, she truly walks the walk. Ms. Serna has always made time to listen to our concerns and provide support, as have all of Lily's teachers. Tavan's open door policy has allowed for me to show up unannounced to observe in a classroom, help out the teachers and have lunch with my daughter. I have this one amazing child. Where she goes to school every day matters to me. As parents, we don't get do-overs. I'm proud to say that I'll never regret my decision to send my daughter to Tavan.

Posted April 18, 2014

The assistant principal has made this school crumble during the principal's absence. He has no disciplinary or leadership skills. He is a joke to the kids, teachers, and patents but those who hired him were dazzled by his doctorate. All of the best teachers are getting out of this school. I am moving my child next year. I've heard that half of the teachers are leaving next year too. Unfortunately, Tavan's best days have come and gone thanks to the heads of the district who hire incompetent administrators and promote open enrollment. All the smart kids are moving to Veritas, Hopi, Christ Lutheran, or ANLC. My son and I will do the same.

Posted November 13, 2013

Taven is jewel among schools in the area. Forgotten by those who choose the private route, or the more glitzy Hopi a few blooks away. The teachers are Phenomenal! The staff is amazing. The parents care. Even when my child was just in Pre-K, the staff took the time to know his name, his quirks, and watched out for him. I cannot express how delighted I am that this is our neighborhood school. And a school with an A+ rating at that? Thank you Tavan teachers and staff for going out of your way on a daily basis to make this place such a wonderful learning environment for my chidlren!

Posted August 22, 2013

My daughter started kindergarten a few weeks ago, and so far I am impressed by the amount of support the school seems to have for the success of the school including other parents. This is our first child going to school so I don't have any other schools to compare it to, but so far it's going great, she loves it, I love the schedule. My only concern is that the KG classes are across the street from the main school and they have to walk across the street to go to lunch, computer classes, etc. I know there are a lot of teachers on hand when they do this, but it's taking me a little longer to get used to the idea. The school is in a beautiful location and the school itself is beautiful. I can't wait for what this upcoming year brings.

Posted July 26, 2013

This is an amazing school. It is diverse in all areas from culture, academic achievements and home situations. All students are treated like they truly matter and to Ms. Serna, they do. The community this school provides is very much family focused.

Posted June 14, 2013

Tavan is an A+ school!!! Count them! How many are there in Scottsdale? How many Title I schools are A+? This group goes over the top to make sure every student has a chance to succeed. Not like other schools.

Posted December 1, 2012

This is not a good school if your child is an advanced student. Slacking gifted program and little support from teachers or administration.

Posted November 30, 2012

My son has been attending Tavan for the last 4 years. In second grade he was diagnosed with ADHD. The principal and teacher was EXTREMELY helpful with providing him with the help he needed to be successful. My son had attended the Sonoran Science Academy where the 1st grade teacher was horrible, negative and yelled at him often. We also explored St. Theresa's School, but they were unable to provide help my son needed with ADHD. I also have a son in kindergarten. He has received absolute love and kindness from his teacher. I feel she has made the class challenging for them and he is excelling as a result. He is already reading independently. I am so happy my children are at Tavan!

Posted November 29, 2012

The kindergarten program here is great, and the teachers are wonderful. But after that, I am not impressed. I have been around this school for a while now. The principal is very difficult to communicate with and is more interested in sweeping issues under the rug rather than dealing with them. She likes to lecture students, parents, and teachers, but is not willing to listen to anyone and speaks in a very disrespectful tone. A very negative environment. Many parents have been taking their children out of the school and placing them in nearby alternative schools. Also, many of the great teachers have left to teach at other schools.

Posted November 5, 2012

I have had at least one child at Tavan for the past three years. I feel they are getting an excellent education. The teachers and Mrs. Margaret Serna are devoted to early childhood education and it shows in everything they do! Mrs. Serna is always getting grants for new school equipment and programs. She loves the kids like they are her grandchildren. She is a constant fixture on campus. I literally give thanks to God we are able to have our children attend this wonderful school!

Posted May 17, 2010

The principal, Mrs. Serna, is extremely committed to helping kids succeed and the teaching staff is excellent--my children have benefitted from many outstanding people and programs offered through this school.

Posted May 17, 2010

Tavan (Ms, Serna) helped my son out in a dire need from Hopi ES, without her I don't know what I would have done! Tavan is a great ES and meets every need that our son needs to get the education he needs to. The teachers are very will educated and know their job as well as what is expected of them they are firm and treat the child as if they were their own. The teachers are concerned about the children in the classrooms and it shows upon them.

Posted May 16, 2010

This is our first year at tavan, and we could not be happier with the kindergarten program, including opportunities for accelerated learning, staff involvement at all levels, and safety of the campus. We're looking forward to next year!

Posted May 15, 2010

Tavan creates a positive atmosphere. When you walk on the grounds, you feel like you are part of a family. Everyone is happy to make you feel at home-a safe place for your children to be.

Posted May 14, 2010

The great parent involvment, planning wonderful events for our Tavan families. The administration is involved in all the events. Our school Tavan is a community of families where each child is important. Our staff wants our children to excell.

Posted May 13, 2010

We have so many programs available to help, both our children at risk, as well as our gifted students to achieve their best! A great mix of families from all over the world . . . led by the BEST TEACHERS IN THE WORLD!

Posted May 13, 2010

I love Tavan because the students love to learn and they are happy to be there!!

Posted May 13, 2010

Tavan is an amazing school. The teachers and staff are highly qualified and implement interventions to help a variety of students succeed. it is a collaborative and positive community!

Posted May 13, 2010

Everyone at Tavan goes above and beyond for their students!
—Submitted by a teacher

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 64%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (480) 484-3501

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now