K-5 & Ungraded
Phoenix, AZ

Tomahawk School 5

Posted April 23, 2013
I went to tomahawk from K-2nd grade back in the 90's. My daughter is now in Kindergarten there. I am VERY pleased with the education and teaching style. It is very traditional and that seems to fit her perfectly as we have a traditional home environment as well. Many of the same people have worked here for the last 30 years and that goes to show you how much the staff cares and how well your chikdren will be taken care of. My daughter is 1/2 mexican and 1/2 white but looks white. We do not have issues due to skin color or race(as stated below in another comment). The staff is friendly, pays attention to the needs of my child and is always available to answer any questions I have. The diversity of race in this school is what makes it really special. My child has learned that skin color, religion or race are NOT what matters. I wouldn't take her out of Tomahawk unless I absolutely had to.

Tomahawk School 2

Posted December 09, 2012
Im not very happy with this school. My kids have had issues on the playground and the aids in charge of them do NOT even speak english. I have no issue with race however in a public school they should be required to speak english and not rely on other students to translate and get stories mixed up from these kids. When you take an issue to the principal it doesnt seem like its resolved. There is A LOT of bullying going on from such young kids its sad. Also its very clicky here. If your kids are whit they will be singled out simply because of their skin color. I dont like it. I raise my kids that everyone is equal but this school obviously doesnt follow that opinion. I am anxious to find a better school for my children!

Posted November 01, 2010
I went to Tomahawk from 2nd to 5th. and i have mixed feelings about. Tomahawk. I enjoyed the fact that the teachers cared and that the students did respect the students. I did witness bullying that went untreated. But i do have good memories from that school, i grew up with the same students, made made good friends. I found that comforting. But there are some student that i know can cause huge problems. Of course, i haven't been there for over four years, i'm currently in high school. I don't know how much the school has changed.

Tomahawk School 5

Posted May 28, 2010
I really like this elementary school the staff and teachers always are cooperative have the questions and answers my brother always has homework and is very motivated in going to school even if sick he wants to go he has been at Tomahawk Elementary since Kindergarden and now in 1st grade and now going to 2nd grade and the vacation is very short so it is very good so that student doesnt forget the material of the grade before I really enjoy meeting the new teachers and staff of my brother they are very nice and positive Thanks teachers and staff for a safe,well maintained school keep it up!

Tomahawk School 0

Posted April 23, 2010
I would not even rate this school. It is out of control. The kids here have the same attitude as teachers they just dont care anymore. My kids went to this school for less then a month and then I pulled them out to home school. With in that month my daughter seen a kid with a knife on campus. Went to school never brought any home work home. The teacher was playing wii with the kids in class all day. During the Galileo test my daughter scored 130 above this school. If I were a parent looking for a good school this would NOT be my choice! Too many bullies go to this school and nothing is being done about it.

Posted January 12, 2010

Tomahawk School 4

Posted September 04, 2005
My child is currently in the 1st grade and loves Tomahawk. The teachers and the administrators make each child feel valuable and that they belong. My son is on a higher reading level than the majority of his class and his teacher is very careful not to single him out. His work is more challeging then the rest of the class but the other students do not know about it. This is a very good and very safe school.

Posted August 25, 2005
I am extrememly impressed with the teachers at the school. The academic programs towards reading are wonderful. The math program needs a lot of work. The principal needs to be more involve in her school.

Posted July 21, 2005
The kindergarten program was good overall. I felt it could have been better in the areas of parent involvement and more organized classrooms.

Posted April 17, 2005
This was once an A+ school when my daughter attended. However, when I visited last year the school seems to have taken a slide. At release time it was really a wild scene. I think this reflects on the level of student respect at the school.

Tomahawk School
7820 West Turney Avenue, Phoenix, AZ  85033
Last modified Tomahawk School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Tomahawk School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top