Valley Academy - Reid Traditional Schools

Charter | PK-8 | 752 students

Valley Academy was named 2011 Arizona Charter School of the Year

Living in Phoenix

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $83,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $840.

Posted August 29, 2012

I agree with the parents that was totaly honest. The administration is very controlling and it is difficult to have any creative input as a student, teacher, or parent volunteer.

Posted August 8, 2012

I would totally disagree with the last post. I happen to know that the current administrator is very supportive of the school's creative activities on campus including the after school programs like Drama and sports. My fifth grade daughter has also shared with me that administration enjoys visiting classrooms to see all of the exciting science experiments and academic competitions that take place. The philosophy of the school drives a structured environment, not a controlling administrator. Valley Academy and its administration are well rounded.

Posted August 8, 2012

My kids have been going to Valley for close to six years. The parental involvement is phenomenal, with the Parent Organization (VAPO) creating wonderful events and activities for our kids. The curriculum is well rounded and engaging. I especially love Spalding and my son loved the science courses in the later grades that included dissecting many different creatures. The only complaint I have is the administration is very controlling and it is difficult to have any creative input as a student, teacher, or parent volunteer. I love this school, but if you have any creative inclinations, squash them, as this is a do as your told school only.

Posted June 20, 2012

I feel blessed to live in a state that offers choice schools! I send my kids to this traditional school, so they will have a better education than I had. I have had 3 children at Valley for the past 9 years and plan on being there for another 9 years with a kindergartener starting in the fall. I found that the phonics based Spalding program helped my son learn to read after being diagnosed with speech delay. He tested out of his IEP by 3rd grade thanks for great teachers who helped him along the way. I think that the high academic standards in comparison to other AZ schools make Valley stand out, but our family stayed because of the awesome extras like sports, clubs, Spanish, and computers. The teachers and administration have an open door policy and allow for lots of chances for parents to be involved. Parents and teachers work together which make Valley different from most public district schools. Parents play a role in curriculum and most "extra" activities like Turkey Trots, spirit day ice-cream, talent shows, and much more. I didn't come for the uniforms, but it proved to win me over when my children were in 7th and 8th grades. Yikes!

Posted June 19, 2012

We absolutely LOVE Valley Academy! The teachers and administration could not be more kind, compassionate and caring! I have visited many other schools in the valley over the past few years and have not seen the quality of education nor staff dedication that we find at Valley Academy. Valley is truly a shining star and I am proud to say that we are part of the Valley Academy family! Thank you to the great staff and administration for caring so deeply for our children!!!

Posted June 18, 2012

Our daughter has attended this for two years, going on three. She transferred from another school considered "excelling" and was doing wonderfully but we moved a bit further away and have friends whose kids are also at Valley Academy. Our daughter needed help with Math but her teacher did not bring it to our attention until her A went to almost an F. It happened so quickly I didn't even know it was possible. Apparently the teacher just expected her to figure it out even though she obviously needed tutoring -- something Valley does NOT offer. I was stuck scrambling trying to get help for my daughter and finally the teacher gave in and said she would tutor her a few mornings a week. It helped but we ran into the same problem the following year. We had to meet with the teacher a few extra times including the VP to get it worked out. If your child needs tutoring you have to pressure them to help you or they won't. The teacher "compassion" award is lacking at this school but maybe they need more time to fish out the cranky ones and get teacher who love what they do and the children they do it for. On the plus side, I love the fact they have a uniform code. It's simple.

Posted November 18, 2011

My son has been at Valley since 1st grade. He's in 5th grade now and thrives at this school! He gets all A s, is not afraid to speak in front of his class, does his homework well, and is learning to be responsible for his work and his actions. The teachers have been wonderful every year though some are more strict about the dress code. My daughter also went to Valley from 5th through 8th grade. She had a little trouble adjusting academically but persevered and even made honor roll after a few years. She is now in high school in an MYP program getting almost all A s! Valley Academy prepared her very well for high school! Even though we have been frustrated a time or two by administration, my son will continue with this excellent education and behavioral standards school.

Posted September 16, 2011

I am very happy with Valley so far, my boys just started this year and have adjusted really well. They are in Kindergarten and Preschool and they are doing great. This school is very much geared for academic excellence and they expect the children to pay attention and be able to adjust their behavior for the learning environment. This might sound scary to parents, but don't be scared, the kids learn quickly to pay attention and respect the teacher. I was nervous that my boys wouldn't sit still in class because they came from a daycare setting, but I was surprised by how quickly they learned the rules and what's expected of them. There is homework, even in Kindergarten, but again don't be discouraged. My son loves doing his homework and I love helping him, it's a good time to just be with him and see what he's been learning. I've heard that the homework gets more intense as the grades progress, but maybe because he's learning all of these homework skills early he'll be more prepared as the years go on. Hope this review is helpful to any parents considering this school, I'm really glad I chose this school for my two boys. :)

Posted September 15, 2011

I'm at student here at Valley. This is my first year at this school, it's very advanced and I'm disappointed about he schools musical involvement. I my advance band class the are about 15 people there. I think they should go back to beginner band Some of them. Everybody that goes to this school is very jumpy and not very mature, also I have problems with keeping myself together so when it gets very over-whelming I break down, almost everyday I've walked home crying because of all the stress and expectations. there is no room for mistakes. I don't have very much help, the teachers are very strict, and very controlling. It's a great learning environment but very difficult. I'm at a 9th grade reading level and I'm reading some of the books the 6th graders are reading and I have to have a dictionary by me to understand half the words in most of these books.I dislike this school, but if you are looking for a challenge this is a great school to go to. I am looking for a different school to go to because its very difficult for me and I was a stright A student before to this school.

Posted July 20, 2011

This was my daughter first year at Valle academy and we are really happy and impressed with all the work the teachers have done. We are excited for this coming school year.

Posted February 16, 2011

The grading practices here are scary. My son came home last night with 20 questions from a civil war test - he's in grade 2. He only got one wrong but she graded him 63%. Why? Because he wrote out the answer (a, b, c, test) instead of circling it. Give me a break! If you like that kind of perfection and constant drill type grading where there's no big picture thinking....go for this school. If not, consider otherwise. They will also take points off a math test for spelling or other non math reasons. I'll be moving my kids out of this school.

Posted December 16, 2010

The carriculam is advance and teachers are hard working , hard to find just kind of school in united states

Posted October 12, 2010

it is the best school..my son feels so much comfortable and happy there and shows eagerness to learn more..he gained so much in terms of confidence and knowledge.

Posted September 7, 2010

Amazing school; competent administrative staff; awesome teaching staff; our children's accomplishments go above and beyond our expectations.

Posted August 24, 2010

While there are some positives about Valley Academy, I was very disappointed. The leadership lacks experience, depth and professional maturity, which unfortunately leads to bad decision making and role modeling for the children. Politics within the administration at this school hinders the leadership's ability to effectively deliver focused attention on their primary goals.

Posted May 25, 2010

My child performed in the spring drama play at Valley Academy and I was very impressed with what the staff put into this production. My child's homeroom teacher also took the time to come and watch her perform. Thoughtful, dedicated and caring teachers are what make this school great!

Posted May 17, 2010

I am extremely happy with this school. My child is currently in Kindergarten and he has learned so much. I thought he might resist some of the teaching because he already knew how to write. His handwriting is so much nicer now. He can also read very well. In order for your child to do well, parent(s) have to be involved. The school also requires volunteer time which in the beginning I thought was a chore, but I grew to love it and I've met very nice staff and parents along the way. Although I am tired, I have no regrets, and my child loves the school, his teachers and his classmates. They are very big on respect. There is also a school uniform which is great for parents. Administration is always highly visible on campus which is another thing that I love.

Posted April 23, 2010

Valley Academy is an A+ all around school that goes back to the basics to teach children how to read, write, calculate math and excel. They have been rated 10 (on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest) for AIMS scores and academics. My child is getting a great education from this charter school.

Posted March 30, 2010

My child started going to this school this year and we are very pleased with their academy program. The teachers, staff and the admin staff are v friendly, welcoming and helpful. The teaching is well organized and the teachers are very be well prepared to teach the daily lesson. The diversity is in fantastic. My only gripe is it would be nice to see more options in the after school program e,g, chess, yoga, etc. If your focus is traditional education this school is it.

Posted March 27, 2010

Our children attended VA for kindergarten and 1st grade. The Administration was interested in grades and those that don't score high aren't welcome. I must agree that the new building is like a windowless prison. The majority of the teachers are talented but there are only a few that understand special needs kids. If you have a busy child, prepare to meet a great deal of resistance

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 32% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 3%N/A47%
Female 50%N/A49%
Male 50%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Charter School of the Year (2011)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab
  • Science club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• National Honor Society

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:15 p.m.
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • Mrs. Victoria Wilber
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (623) 516-2703

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • Direct instruction
  • Spalding Phonics, Saxon Math
  • Standards-based
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom