Valley Academy - Reid Traditional Schools

Charter | PK-8 | 752 students

Valley Academy was named 2011 Arizona Charter School of the Year

Living in Phoenix

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $83,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $840.

Posted January 30, 2010

We left Valley Academy and it was a hard choice. My children received a wonderful education there, but it was very intense. I was trying to find a way to balance an excellent education but still have time for family, church, and maybe fun too. I am an educator myself and fully embraced the idea of an excellent, accelarated curriculum for my children. Yet I later realized that these things come with a sacrafice. The sacrafice of family time was too great. My daughter was stressed. I would stress over the homework time. Although my kids had A's and could do the work, it was robbing us of peaceful, quiet time at home. So I searched and found a public school with a traditional education near our home. My children still get Saxon math, Spalding language and high expectations. We are happy and feel more balanced now.

Posted January 21, 2010

I have 2 children now at Valley Academy and have been personally involved there since 2005. No school is perfect, but concerning Valley's education, their desire to excel for the benefit of the students, and the parental involvement allowed there, I've seen no better. There are multiple opportunities to volunteer and make your voice heard, if you're willing to put in the time. Sitting on the sidelines and complaining is always easier, but not productive. My suggestion to parents considering Valley is to come see for themselves, and do the same at other schools. VA will speak for itself.

Posted September 21, 2009

The April writer who complained about the school grounds and computers should take a new look this year. There is a computer lab with brand new computers. The grounds have 3 well equiped play areas, basket ball courts, and lots of green grass areas. Wow! all this and excellent test scores and happy students - what more could anyone ask for?

Posted May 22, 2009

We've been very happy with VA. Our first grader learned more within the first few weeks, than he did his entire year in public school. We have loved how enthusiastic the teachers and staff are and how they've helped our child love school. We are pleased that parents can be involved in the majority of decisions such as teacher hiring, curriculum, and the school calendar. We take our child's education very seriously and are happy to be at Valley. It is, however, a fast paced learning environment with a significant amount of homework and required parent involvement, so it isn't for everyone. It seems the families who left may have been afraid of the administrative change, but we've been impressed with the amount of dedication the administration shows to their learning philosophies and how smoothly the school is run.

Posted April 14, 2009

I don t think that grass is greener on the other side, but I am realistic about Valley Academy and how it compares to other similar schools. VA is providing a good education for my child, at this moment, using a 1950 s method of education. One of you mentioned computers, I encourage you to see what kind of computers our children have and how many children per each computer. Look VA school grounds, there is nothing but dirt. Look at the new building, where are the windows? Is this a correctional institution building or a structure built for the purpose of educating our bright minds? VA is not a bad school, but its administration leaves much to be desired.

Posted April 13, 2009

Like anything else most people like to thing that the grass is greener on the other side. I just want to let you know that we are very satisfied with Valley Academy. We have been there for almost 8 years now and I have four children attending and two more in the near future. I encourage prospective families to take a tour and see for themselves what the school is about. Also, you can ask most any parent on campus their opinion and they will let you know. If you would like to change things at VA that you don't like then get involved don't just complain.

Posted April 1, 2009

My daughter is in Valley Academy from Kindergarden. Now she is in 2nd grade. We are very happy with this school. I gave credit to valley academy for having high academic standard. It will help my daughter for her future study.Very nice Principal , teachers.

Posted September 4, 2008

I have been going to Valley since 1st grade. It's an awesome school. I am in 7th grade now and my friend from a public school by my house is doing Capitization in language, while I am doing way more advanced languange. We also have classes that most schools dont have like Spanish and computers. I cant wait for the new building and its so awesome to see it happening!
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 19, 2008

This is our 5th year at Valley, with one in 2nd grade, and one in 4th grade. We love this school and the back to basics, traditional structure and education. Parents are a huge part of Valley, and I love to be so involved. Our younger child has had no problems, fits well into the structure, keeps up with the intense pace at Valley, and loves it. However, our 4th grader has never liked school, and constantly feels pushed and stressed at Valley. The requirements can be 'over the top' with homework. In 3rd grade they were doing 7th grade math! Sometimes we don't know if Valley is the place for our older child, but where to go? The options aren't good....

Posted April 29, 2008

My son will be graduating from Valley Academy next month and entering the IB program at North Canyon. I credit Valley Academy with instilling in him the high academic standards and the self-motivation required to be accepted into such a program. As were many parents, I was skeptical about the change in administration, but I don't feel it has hurt the school at all. If anything, my son has been happier than ever and is sad to be leaving VA. His only complaint has been that after 9 years of putting up with the temporary buildings, now that he is leaving they are putting up a beautiful new permanent building. Such is life.

Posted February 3, 2008

There are not hundreds of kids waiting to get in to VA. While there may be some on the wait list because of the school's past success, there are also parents withdrawing their children for a better option. It seems as though a few 'cheerlead' the school when they really don't know some of the alternatives out there that are so much better. Most of the special area classes are a joke. There are a couple of excellent teachers in the primary grades but after that, there's not much for kids to look forward to.

Posted January 22, 2008

The school is wonderful and the leadership is wonderful. Teachers are happy and everyone is working together to help the children succeed. No wonder there are hundreds of kids waiting to get in!

Posted November 30, 2007

The school is fantastic. I love my childrens teachers and the cirriculum is very challenging. I would never go to another school.

Posted October 1, 2007

I feel this school is more [concerned] about AIM scores than teaching students to develop the real skills for this fast changing world. They force parents and students to spend most of their time for the score. Their philosophy is more like running an business by producing a product of high scores. I am thinking about withdrawing my kids sometimes.

Posted September 25, 2007

Valley Academy used to be a great place. It was a place I was proud to be associated with, but the board has been taken over by members who have their own agenda - with the administration as their puppets. There all still good teachers, but will they stay? Valley hit its peak, and now it is declining. It won't be long until Valley is just another charter school with minimal standards and average students.

Posted August 20, 2007

I am so disappointed with the lack of traditional educational leadership, which drew me to Valley. The philosophy is quickly becoming that of your average neighborhood school.

Posted August 20, 2007

I am a parent that has had my child at Valley Academy for 4 years and I can honestly say that the education and atmosphere has never been better. I really don't know what these unhappy parents are talking about. Valley Academy is by far the best school around for many reasons. The fact of the matter is that Charter Schools are schools of choice. Valley is no exception.

Posted August 20, 2007

My children have been at Valley Academy for several years, since kindergarten. When Valley Academy experienced some leadership changes last year, I was disappointed and very concerned, like many other parents. However, over the last year I have found that Valley Academy has not diminished in its pursuit of academic excellence, nor lost its focus on the children as the number one priority. The curriculum is well balanced and the school continues to nurture a healthy learning and motivating environment. Many of the teachers are very talented professionals and the new leadership members are proving their abilities daily. I highly recommend this school for anyone who wishes to provide their child with a solid education base.

Posted August 19, 2007

The love for the students and what is best for them is gone, replaced by lower standards and less academic progress. If you're looking for a traditional back to basics school, with traditional values, Valley Academy may not be the school for you. A former happy parent now dismayed.

Posted August 18, 2007

Sadly, VA is becoming a shadow of its former self. With last years firing of the principal by the board and the hiring of a new principal who doesn't share the same vision, VA is steadily declining. Parents are no longer allowed a voice but the school is becoming dictated by a board inept at their job. I've had children in VA for six years, as a parent it saddens me to see a once great school becoming a shell of its former self. Academics and standards are no longer what they once were but instead being taken over by public school philosophies. Many teachers who had been with Valley for years left at the end of last year as well as many long time Valley families. We are currently looking for a new school for our children and would suggest people thinking about attending VA do the same.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 32% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 3%N/A47%
Female 50%N/A49%
Male 50%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Charter School of the Year (2011)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab
  • Science club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• National Honor Society

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:15 p.m.
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • Mrs. Victoria Wilber
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (623) 516-2703

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • Direct instruction
  • Spalding Phonics, Saxon Math
  • Standards-based
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom