School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Valley Academy is proud to be a 2014 National Blue Ribbon School! The United States Department of Education recognized Valley Academy as an Exemplary, High Performing School. What a great way to celebrate 20 years of excellence in education! We are a traditional school that focuses on providing an environment that is carefully crafted for academic success. We have received the highest possible rating from the state of Arizona every year and have been an Arizona Charter School of the Year. Our highest goal is academic excellence, particularly in the fundamental areas of reading, writing, spelling, speaking, mathematics, and science. We believe in a well-rounded education, and Art, Music, P.E., Spanish, and Computer classes enhance our advanced academic curriculum. We support our families in teaching discipline, respect, and personal responsibility. We believe in fostering genuine self-respect based upon individual achievement and appropriate competition. Our students learn citizenship through understanding our history, heritage, and government. We respect your role as a parent in guiding your child through his or her education. Parental involvement is a cornerstone of our school, which was founded by parents wanting a better education for their own children. Our parent volunteers are welcome on campus, and we are grateful that they bring their abilities and interests to enrich the school. Our students promote from 8th grade with a solid academic foundation for their future learning and have a history of success in advanced Honors, AP, and IB high school classes and beyond. I invite you to visit our website to learn more about our programs, and see how we can help your family meet your education goals.
October 14, 2014

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted May 26, 2016
I have a daughter who began attending Valley Academy in the second grade. She promoted to high school well prepared for the challenges thanks to the guidance and education she received from the teachers, staff, and Administration at Valley. My son started kindergarten and is going to begin his 8th grade year at Valley. He has grown into a well rounded, respectful and educated young man. He too has been blessed to have received the benefit of his teachers and staff on the campus. Valley's focus on academic excellence is what makes this school so successful. They also have high expectations for students when it comes to behavior standards. It is a relief knowing my children are and were in a classroom with other children that are there to learn and not be a disturbance. I am grateful to Valley Academy for the all it has been to my children.

Posted May 17, 2016
My daughter attended Pre-School at Valley and was extremely well prepared with all necessary skills to enter Kindergarten. She is about to complete her Kindergarten year as a fluent reader! She has read over 300 books this year! We are also impressed with her strong knowledge of math facts at such a young age. We could not be happier with the academic growth we have seen in our daughter this year and cannot wait to see what is to come for her in first grade! Thank you, Valley!

Posted May 12, 2016
All four of my children have attended Valley Academy for all of their elementary school years. I cannot say enough about the quality of the education they received. The behavioral and academic expectations are high, but my children left extremely well prepared for high school and beyond. I am so thankful that we were able to find this amazing school!

Valley Academy - Reid Traditional Schools 3

Posted November 26, 2015
My kid attended the first three years of his schooling here. We have some neat memories but overall was not a good fit in our case. Our son struggled to keep up and did not relate to most of the other kids. He is not one to complain, is respectful, and a very hard worker, but the amount of effort required to keep average grades was affecting him emotionally. At one point, the school recommended that he repeat a grade even though he was hanging in there and passing. I decided to sit in on some classes and found that some teachers were noticeably skilled and engaging. But was shocked that in some classes, the teacher would completely loose control of the class with kids misbehaving and literally running amok. As I got to know the parents more, I also came to a realization that for various (and mostly valid) cultural, religious, generational, or other sometimes pretentious expectations, it was difficult for our family to really feel "at home" and "belong" in that school environment. At that point, we decided to transfer him to public school. What a major relief that was for him that he could be himself and engage socially and interact fully with his peers. The teaching methods now made a lot more sense to him that those at Valley (That Phonics method is just not for everyone). And when he did struggle with certain subjects at his new school, they had him evaluated which led us to having him diagnosed with a form of rolandic epilepsy that was impacting his comprehension. Thankfully, he has outgrown the condition and is a model student at public school, but I am disappointed in Valley for not having the resources, capability, and/or desire to help and instead want to hold a student back a grade to pound more learning into them. To be fair, I thought Valley Academy was a great option for the exceptional/gifted students. But for a regular kid that needs some balance in his life, Valley Academy may not be best. Hope this helps other parents if they find themselves in a similar situation.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 26, 2015
A thank you to a teacher that in confidence helped us understand what was the best move for our child.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted November 26, 2015
Overall the teachers were effective, but some were ineffective. Many students were expected by their parents to continue instruction at home, or with tutors. I believe this glossed over the bad school teachers.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted November 26, 2015
There was too much homework without enough creativity to go along with it. Homework is fine, but not if it comes in a punishing and relentless fashion.

Posted June 15, 2015
As a former student, I loved this school. It is a bit strict, but you need that so that you can focus on learning, which is highly effective. I loved the teachers and they work together really well. I know uniforms sound boring, but the uniformity takes all the peer pressure off so you don't have to worry about what to wear. I made some good, life long friends there and I will miss seeing them every day. If you are looking for a good school, this is it.

Posted June 15, 2015
Two of my children have graduated from here and received an amazing education! The staff & teachers are so dedicated and incredible.

Posted June 12, 2015
I am a former student of Valley and I really liked how well it prepared me for high school. The teachers are really great and helpful. I went there for all K-8 years and made some good friends. It was a fun and educational experience.

1520 West Rose Garden Lane, Phoenix, AZ  85027
Last modified Valley Academy - Reid Traditional Schools is a Charter school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.