Ridgeline Academy

Charter | K-8 | 546 students

Our school is best known as a rigorous, but loving, Core Knowledge academy.

Living in Phoenix

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $220,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Posted May 22, 2013

I love the new Ridgeline Academy. This is a new small school, my kid gets enough attention from teachers. Every staff knows his name. They don't have as much homework as some highly rated schools, but kids also learned a lot, and meantime, they have so much fun. This is a good balance. The year 2012-2013 is their first year of the new school, so it takes some time for the school management team to settle down, and there are changes of teachers and even the principle, I am glad the second semester the school runs better with the new principle, teachers are cheered up, parents are more involved and helped in the class...We love the kindergarten teachers, especially Mrs. Downings. I am sure this school will get better and better next year!

Posted December 16, 2012

I have been very pleased with the experience my daughter has had at Ridgeline Academy. Her teacher provides ample one-on-one time as well as personalized lesson plans that go beyond the standard curriculum. My daughter comes home happy every single day with confidence and a strong sense of accomplishment. The principal is easy to communicate with if you make an effort to communicate with him. We will continue attending Ridgeline Academy for years.

Posted December 4, 2012

Had to pull our daughter out of 3rd grade after numerous attempts to get her teacher actually involved in her education. Tests coming back from the teacher mis-marked with the wrong answers, weeks of homework not graded until just before report cards were distributed, no follow-up from the principal on several messages regarding the teacher. This does not count the incompetence of the car line, leaving kids out in 110-degree temperatures waiting for pickup with no shade.

Posted November 20, 2012

When will Ridgeline be added to Great schools? Ventana no longer exists and the new school needs its own page.

Posted August 29, 2012

I went looking for the "Ridgeline Academy" page, but it hasn't been added to Great Schools directory yet. I have been very pleased with my 3rd grade student's experience at this new charter school. For being a brand new building and facility, it has delivered beyond my expectations. The teachers, staff and administration (including the principal) are fantastic. I'm looking forward to Open House tonight! What a fantastic new addition to our community.

Posted August 17, 2012

I also know this school as Ridgeline Academy and have to wonder about an environment where the Principal yells at the Parents of the students attending the school. I was under the impression that this was a school that was based on a philosophy of mutual respect?

Posted August 15, 2012

I know this school as ridgeline academy CFA the new location off carefree highway. I was disappointed with the principals decision in the first days of its opening to have no contingency plan for the dangerous heat index during the children's assembly before and after school .The fundamental flaw being the South West exposure of the building in the desert environment. The lack of shade or basic insight of desert architecture for the required assembly of our children in triple digit temperatures is not just an oversight but a complete disregard for the safety of children and staff. Not only was there no immediate action taken by the principal for the situation but concerned parents were given only excuses and blanket form letter responses. Nothing against the staff they were real troopers my heart goes out to them obviously they were not listened to just as we weren't .I am unwilling to continue my child's enrollment so i am unable to comment on the eventual solution or tragedy that will bring this issue to a close.

Posted June 27, 2011

My children all attend Ventana and we love it! The teachers there are the best- they are there because they love teaching and they love kids! They will bend over backward to help your children. We went to Ventana because of Core Knowledge. It is the best curriculum available, hands down. My children love learning with Core Knowledge! The school is small but we love that too because our children get more one on one with the smaller class sizes. The clubs are fun too! I understand there have been some problems in the past but the teachers that remain there now are committed to making it the best year ever. They are a team and I trust them 100%! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone! If you are looking for a "family" feel in a small charter environment, then don't pass Ventana up. The TeamCFA group is building us a new school next year and it is going to be awesome! We are so excited for this school year to begin! The PTO is the best too!

Posted November 8, 2010

I use to think Ventana was a great school but most of the former faculty that help make that warm family feel and encouraged teacher, parent and student participation have left. Parental involvement is at its lowest ever. The special education department use to be solid, but is no longer their strong point due to the fact that Ventana now lacks resources. I wouldn't advise sending a child with special needs to Ventana. On the bright side the remaining teachers there are caring and competent in their teaching.

Posted October 21, 2010

Ventana is a great school. Like all schools, Ventana has its kinks we are working through. Students and parents are realizing Ventana isn't a typical charter school, the standards and expectations of all of their teachers really reaches new heights.Ventana is a school of choice. This is school should no longer be looked at as "the easy school" or "the school with all the poorly behaved kids". Student accountabilty is a strong belief we hold at Ventana. As a teacher, I love my job. My children will definitely be going to Ventana when they become of age. Even though I travel a far distance to and from work on a daily basis, I wouldn't change schools. The staff I work with is amazing and our new principal is fabulous! If you are looking for a school with small class sizes, individual attention with teachers that care, you should consider Ventana.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 25, 2010

Ventana Academy is a K-8 charter school with a Core Knowledge Curriculum that has now joined with TeamCFA. The school has small class sizes, afterschool clubs, fosters community involvement, and teaches by utilizing a direct, hands-on and multisensory approach which is integral to students at various skill levels and differing needs. By having a Core Knowledge Curriculum it means there will be no repitions or gaps in our children's education. Each grade level will build upon the previous year. It is what the education system is meant to be and what is used to be. If you're looking for a school where you're child can receive individualized intruction with great teachers, a great curriculum, and in a great community, Ventana is the place to be.

Posted July 8, 2010

Ventana has changed my daughters academic life. After nearly a year at an over crowded middle school, we moved her to Ventana. The teachers at her previous school were great for the most part, but the school was so crowded that they only had time for crowd control. Ventana has dedicated and devoted teachers who bend over backwards for their students. The principal and staff are excellent as well, and the school has a very distinct "family" feel. You owe it to yourself to check out this school!

Posted June 27, 2010

Very disappointed with the 2 years my children spent at this school, ending in May 2010, and they will not return to Ventana. We have a couple of special needs kids, and as parents we were hooked by the Ventana sales pitch of small class sizes, personalized attention, and strong academics. There were problems the first year with a lot of turnover among the teachers, which caused problems for out kids, but we thought that situation would be fixed by the next year. Nope, same problem - teachers leaving abruptly all year long. It appears many of the teachers dont get along with the principal.No real attempt at helping special needs was provided, and there is a huge bullying problem at this school.

Posted June 25, 2010

Our son went to Ventana for two years. He did not get full support from the faculty. He was not challenged in class. He had no homework brought home, so we never really knew what he was learning or was struggling with. The only measure was grades. Lots of bullying and the teachers were not really in control of the situation. Al ot of lip service from the administration; no real results. An overall bad experience.

Posted March 11, 2010

I am currently the PTO President and want to say this has been a great year with a great community of parents and teachers! Our children experience school on a personal level that exceeds any other public school we have attended. Mrs.Molloy has given my son the confidence to excel academically. We are not the exception family but a result of the high standards and individualized attention each child receives.

Posted January 6, 2010

Ventana School offers so much more than an education. This school teaches character building in such a positive atmosphere. The teachers really know their students needs and care about their growth. The academics are taught above the average grade level and children are allowed to work at their own levels. If you want a change, this is the school for you.

Posted April 5, 2009

I LOVE teaching at Ventana! When you step foot on campus, you will get the feeling of happiness. We are a small school who offers small class sizes so we can reach all our students. The faculty is my second family. I have never felt the support as I do at Ventana.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 31, 2009

I attended Ventana for 10 years [Preschool- 8th grade. (Presently they no longer have a preschool or pre-K class)] I was promoted from the eigth grade at the top of the class. Once in high school I realized that without the help and individual attention that I recieved from Ventana I wouldn't have been able to achieve the great grades that still hold me at the top of my class.I was even accepted into the National Honors Society because of my academic achievements. Ventana offered me a chance to become a great student and I fully grasped that. The teachers were and still are amazing, the class size is small (20-22 tops), and there were a variety of extra-curricular activities to join. I give this school a 5 star rating. (Over all I'd give my elementary school a 50 star rating, but the rating bar doesn't go that high.)
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 30, 2009

I went to Ventana for 5th-8th grade. I had straight A's while I was there and loved having the personal one on one attention with teachers who really care. This school is very supportive and encourages their students to strive for the best. I am now in 10th grade and attend a college prep high school. I believe that Ventana has strongly prepared me for this school and my grades reflect that. I have now been accepted in the National Honors Society because of my academic achievement. I strongly recomend this school for all students who want to succeed!
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 28, 2009

Ventana has a perfect learning environment. They care about all of their students and try to help them become well educated, well adjusted contributors to society.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 43%N/A49%
Male 57%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Science lab

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Yoga club

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mr. Keven Barker
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (480) 488-2079

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
  • Core knowledge
  • Gifted / high performing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Audiovisual aids
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts
  • Book/reading club
  • Chess club
  • Community service
  • Cub scouts
  • Girl scouts
  • Homework help/study buddy club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Math club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

6 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
166
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year
280

33625 N. North Valley Pkwy.
Phoenix, AZ 85085