Villa Montessori - Phoenix Campus

Charter | K-8 | 485 students

Living in Phoenix

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $115,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $740.

Sweep tile

Posted August 15, 2008

I've been a great school supporter in the past and consistently given them the benefit of the doubt. Enough is enough with their continued sales pitch and lack of follow-through. The Villa mantra of we love our parents and want them involved in their classroom stops at the classroom door and the car line. My student's upper and lower elementary teachers all talked the talk but do not walk the walk. I've had a student at this school for many years. Parents are not made to fell welcome in the classroom unless you are a big money donator or have free resources they want. They consistently avoid returning phone calls or emails about important issues regarding students, problems or academics. This is common knowledge among the non-teaching staff and other parents I have spoke to about the school. Too much click -i-ness and not enough love of students.

Posted August 5, 2008

I agree with the previous posting saying the meanness and cruelty would not be tolerated at public school and also those who say the administration is difficult to deal with. Some of the teachers also model unkind behavior. We will not be returning. I recommend anyone considering the school really listen to their gut and observe whether the children look happy. I also recommend that if you do choose this school you 'drop in' to visit your child in class, PE and at recess. Don't just listen to the teachers and pep talks, listen with your own ears to what is going on at Villa.

Posted July 1, 2008

The previous reviewer referenced 'over the top fundraising'. That is nonsense. Of course there are fundraisers (the main one being the auction)--such is the reality of trying to run a charter school with poor funding from the state--but there are no 'high pressure' calls to your home asking for money or anything like that. On the other topic, I'd like the Head of School to be a bit more visible around campus, but she is certianly a million times more capable than leaders that you will find at a typical district school...

Posted June 27, 2008

Our experience matches those who previously expressed disappointment with the Head of the School (inattentive and unprofessional), unmet academic expectations, and over the top fundraising. Certainly there are problems at any school...some schools self evaluate and correct them, it's called accountability.

Posted April 10, 2008

Villa is only great if your child does not have special needs. I have fought with them for so long to provide the proper education for him. Unfortunately their only solution was for him to be taken to a different school.

Posted March 20, 2008

I was fortunate to find Villa Montessori 13 years ago when I was looking for childcare for my then infant son. In our time at Villa, my son has become a self assured young man ready to take on the challenges of high school next year. I believe he has received a superb education from the well trained teachers he has had. He has also learned about a multitude of topics that he might not have learned until high school had he attended any other school. I count myself lucky that Villa has been there to educate my son and I would highly recommend it to any parent seeking a high quality school that has a great family like atmosphere.

Posted February 12, 2008

Villa Montessori has been the best experience for 2 of my children. Both my children excelled and thrived afer changing from other schools. For a child, the environment and influence at Villa elementary and middle schools provide a strong foundation for compassionate leaders and lifelong learners.

Posted February 6, 2008

Villa was great in the younger grades but my kids lost ground after 3rd grade. When they hated school, I knew it was time to look elsewhere. Their classes were wildly out of control in terms of discipline and order. My eldest child just reminded me that for his entire 6th grade he 'got away with doing nothing.' We have found a school that is far more organized and challenging and my kids finally love school and learning.

Posted January 22, 2008

I have put trust in the teachers and administrators at Villa Montessori for 10 years and found that they are helpful and honest. It is this honesty along with knowledge about the Montessori philosophy that makes the administration effective and good for the community. I know that Montessori isn't the perfect place for all children with it's need for self-direction, but it has been great for both of my children.

Posted January 17, 2008

I think this is a wonderful school and have been nothing but happy. My child has attended for many years and he is excelling in all areas, but more importantly, he loves school. The teachers are wonderful, caring, supportive and well trained. The parent community is like a family and full of support. Bravo Villa Montessori!

Posted January 11, 2008

The common line at Villa is trust us. Okay, I will trust you when you respond to parents concerns begin providing consistent education and provide a classroom of learning that stimulates my child. I say this to perspective parents. Margo (principle/owner) has a long history of being inattentive to parents concerns and is unable to offer or provide any substance beyond philosophical Montessori practices. Her conflict resolution skills are horrendous and she would rather you leave the school then question how she runs the school. Our problem is that we have expectations that a school has experienced consistent teaching practices, administrators that are responsive and a curriculum that can be taught consistently.

Posted October 15, 2007

Villa has been and continues to be a second home for my 3 girls. My oldest daughter attended Villa from the age of 2 thru the 8th grade. She nows attends a public high school and has thrived in all Advanced placement classes. She was extremely well prepared for the jump to 'public' school and cherishes her years at Villa. My two youngest daughters are currently enrolled in Villa's Toddler and Elementary programs. They are also thriving and I am confident that they are having their individual academic and emotional needs met. The teachers are outstanding and go the extra mile for the children. My experience with the administration has been nothing but positive, they are always looking at ways to have the school be the best there is and what is right for all children is at the top of the list. Schedule a tour, it's the best there is.

Posted September 25, 2007

I had researched many schools before choosing Villa Montessori for my children. I couldn't be happier with my decision. My children are challenged daily while receiving nuturing support from their teachers and peers. The classrooms are clean, organized, peaceful and stimulating. As far as extra-cirricular activities, all charte schools struggle with this due to finances and space availability. With this in mind, my second grader has managed to be involved in Karate, Boy Scouts, Running Club and soccer. All on campus! I am exhausted, but he is having a blast! I absolutely love this school, this faculty and staff, and my fellow parents who all work tirelessly to keep improvements happening! I highly recommend that you schedule a tour of this school and learn what we are all about!

Posted September 25, 2007

I have two children here at Villa in the toddler and preprimary program. I feel that my children are getting the best care possible. The teachers are fantastic and really make each child feel special. I feel blessed to be a part of such a great community.

Posted September 25, 2007

We've had two children at Villa for five years. We researched every Montessori School in the Phoenix area before moving to Phoenix. We were amazed at the extracurricular activities offered! We have had experience with the Pre-Primary, Elem.I, Elem.II and Middle School levels. Our children have different needs and challenges. We have been very happy at every level. Each stage has been appropriate for its Montessori and developmental level. Our children have been treated with respect to their individual needs and personalities. Their teachers have been wonderful, kind and have prepared them for the next step. We also experienced Special Education. They helped walk us through the process and provided the support that our child needed to achieve personal best. The Middle School experience has been amazing! Watching our anxious child blossom and excel academically and socially has been a joy! Villa has been worth the daily 90 minute drive!

Posted September 24, 2007

I now have two children at this school... soon to be three, as we are on the waiting list. We are so impressed with the supportive administration, compassionate and knowledgeable teachers, and respectful students at this school. We wonder what took us so long to find this gem! The teachers and staff have an impeccable way with supporting each child s needs and developing the whole child . Extra curricular activities are age appropriate for each grade level, with a wide variety of options. Volunteering opportunities are endless and enjoyable. We love getting the chance to participate in our children s education. We feel we are getting a private education for free. We have found the Villa Montessori community to be one of the most supportive and positive influences in our family s lives. I feel I can t do this school justice in just a few words.

Posted September 24, 2007

My experience with Villa gets better and better each year. My children love school! Focus is placed on the whole child and both my son and daughter are excelling both academically and socially. This last year, with the new discipline policy many positive changes occured. The administration really stepped up and got involved in a consistent plan and behavior in classrooms and on the playground is better. They really took a stance against bullying. I see the teachers as organized, committed, and helpful. They have a genuine love for the students. I love the community at Villa Montessori and I plan to keep my children there through middle school.

Posted September 24, 2007

I think Villa Montessori is a wonderful school. I recently moved my son from a 'gifted' school to Villa to join my daughter in Elementary II. My daughter is happy and thriving and I couldn't be happier with her teacher. My son, now in another Elementary II class, is also feeling challenged and loving school. His brightness and talents are better met with the Montessori philosophy and I feel the level of commitment from the teachers is much higher. Management and discipline are handled better, too. I love the level at which I can be involved and the unique experiences both children get to have. I appreciate everyone at Villa Montessori and the personalized attention our family has received.

Posted September 18, 2007

Villa is decent in preprimary but not in later grades. Teaching quality is inconsistent. You never know what your child is learning, if anything. Most teachers are too busy to listen to parents. There are some really good teachers, however, many are defensive, disorganized and can't seem to manage the students. The principal is never around. She didn't return phone calls for weeks. Once she did, we were met with denials, excuses, promises but no results. Nothing is perfect but there are better schools around. Our new school has weekly progress reports, great extracurriculars, a brilliant principal, a PTA, fewer demands on parents and happy families who stay! I waited some time to write this in case I changed my mind, but I can now say without regret that our decision to leave Villa was a wise one for our family.

Posted June 12, 2007

We've been very disappointed in Villa after only a couple years. Our local public school was better organized, equipped and managed. The school is demanding of parents' time & money, but parents are turned down when they want improved discipline or better communication. A few teachers seem to be pretty good, but others can't manage the kids or they're gone all the time. Many of the kids are wildly out of control and no one seems to notice. Our kids' AIMS scores actually declined in the years we were there. We've hired tutors for the summer and we're playing catchup for the new

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian 3% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 15%N/A46%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab
  • Outdoor learning lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Visual arts

• Kitchen
  • Swimming pool

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Gifted specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)

Media arts
  • None

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize cultural events
  • Present special topics during curricular units

Apply now