Villa Montessori - Phoenix Campus

Charter | K-8 | 485 students

Living in Phoenix

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $115,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $740.

Posted October 15, 2007

Villa has been and continues to be a second home for my 3 girls. My oldest daughter attended Villa from the age of 2 thru the 8th grade. She nows attends a public high school and has thrived in all Advanced placement classes. She was extremely well prepared for the jump to 'public' school and cherishes her years at Villa. My two youngest daughters are currently enrolled in Villa's Toddler and Elementary programs. They are also thriving and I am confident that they are having their individual academic and emotional needs met. The teachers are outstanding and go the extra mile for the children. My experience with the administration has been nothing but positive, they are always looking at ways to have the school be the best there is and what is right for all children is at the top of the list. Schedule a tour, it's the best there is.

Posted September 25, 2007

I had researched many schools before choosing Villa Montessori for my children. I couldn't be happier with my decision. My children are challenged daily while receiving nuturing support from their teachers and peers. The classrooms are clean, organized, peaceful and stimulating. As far as extra-cirricular activities, all charte schools struggle with this due to finances and space availability. With this in mind, my second grader has managed to be involved in Karate, Boy Scouts, Running Club and soccer. All on campus! I am exhausted, but he is having a blast! I absolutely love this school, this faculty and staff, and my fellow parents who all work tirelessly to keep improvements happening! I highly recommend that you schedule a tour of this school and learn what we are all about!

Posted September 25, 2007

I have two children here at Villa in the toddler and preprimary program. I feel that my children are getting the best care possible. The teachers are fantastic and really make each child feel special. I feel blessed to be a part of such a great community.

Posted September 25, 2007

We've had two children at Villa for five years. We researched every Montessori School in the Phoenix area before moving to Phoenix. We were amazed at the extracurricular activities offered! We have had experience with the Pre-Primary, Elem.I, Elem.II and Middle School levels. Our children have different needs and challenges. We have been very happy at every level. Each stage has been appropriate for its Montessori and developmental level. Our children have been treated with respect to their individual needs and personalities. Their teachers have been wonderful, kind and have prepared them for the next step. We also experienced Special Education. They helped walk us through the process and provided the support that our child needed to achieve personal best. The Middle School experience has been amazing! Watching our anxious child blossom and excel academically and socially has been a joy! Villa has been worth the daily 90 minute drive!

Posted September 24, 2007

I now have two children at this school... soon to be three, as we are on the waiting list. We are so impressed with the supportive administration, compassionate and knowledgeable teachers, and respectful students at this school. We wonder what took us so long to find this gem! The teachers and staff have an impeccable way with supporting each child s needs and developing the whole child . Extra curricular activities are age appropriate for each grade level, with a wide variety of options. Volunteering opportunities are endless and enjoyable. We love getting the chance to participate in our children s education. We feel we are getting a private education for free. We have found the Villa Montessori community to be one of the most supportive and positive influences in our family s lives. I feel I can t do this school justice in just a few words.

Posted September 24, 2007

My experience with Villa gets better and better each year. My children love school! Focus is placed on the whole child and both my son and daughter are excelling both academically and socially. This last year, with the new discipline policy many positive changes occured. The administration really stepped up and got involved in a consistent plan and behavior in classrooms and on the playground is better. They really took a stance against bullying. I see the teachers as organized, committed, and helpful. They have a genuine love for the students. I love the community at Villa Montessori and I plan to keep my children there through middle school.

Posted September 24, 2007

I think Villa Montessori is a wonderful school. I recently moved my son from a 'gifted' school to Villa to join my daughter in Elementary II. My daughter is happy and thriving and I couldn't be happier with her teacher. My son, now in another Elementary II class, is also feeling challenged and loving school. His brightness and talents are better met with the Montessori philosophy and I feel the level of commitment from the teachers is much higher. Management and discipline are handled better, too. I love the level at which I can be involved and the unique experiences both children get to have. I appreciate everyone at Villa Montessori and the personalized attention our family has received.

Posted September 18, 2007

Villa is decent in preprimary but not in later grades. Teaching quality is inconsistent. You never know what your child is learning, if anything. Most teachers are too busy to listen to parents. There are some really good teachers, however, many are defensive, disorganized and can't seem to manage the students. The principal is never around. She didn't return phone calls for weeks. Once she did, we were met with denials, excuses, promises but no results. Nothing is perfect but there are better schools around. Our new school has weekly progress reports, great extracurriculars, a brilliant principal, a PTA, fewer demands on parents and happy families who stay! I waited some time to write this in case I changed my mind, but I can now say without regret that our decision to leave Villa was a wise one for our family.

Posted June 12, 2007

We've been very disappointed in Villa after only a couple years. Our local public school was better organized, equipped and managed. The school is demanding of parents' time & money, but parents are turned down when they want improved discipline or better communication. A few teachers seem to be pretty good, but others can't manage the kids or they're gone all the time. Many of the kids are wildly out of control and no one seems to notice. Our kids' AIMS scores actually declined in the years we were there. We've hired tutors for the summer and we're playing catchup for the new

Posted June 4, 2007

chaos in classrooms, poor communication at administrative levels, discipline problems and underachievement of kids. My kids are at a new school and their scores have soared along with motivation and self-confidence. Villa was great in the younger grades, but once most kids get beyond grade 3, they lose ground. We miss the great families and some of the talented teachers, but we've never been happier since the move. Villa was once the finest in the Valley. They need to catch up to neighboring public schools with basics such as a developed music program, computer lab, library, lunch program, weekly progress reports emailed to parents, discipline policy they stand behind, etc. If they listened to parents, they may be able to turn it around!

Posted May 24, 2007

Our children have enjoyed their preprimary and elementary years at Villa. Teachers have been kind, compassionate and thoughtful in their teaching methods and interaction with children and parents. Extracuriculars are available and quite varied. Our kids are growing academically (above grade level) and personally. It is a community in which they feel safe and we feel comfortable.

Posted May 8, 2007

My experience was nightmarish as I watched my child go from a motivated to non-motivated learner in Elem I. Villa's assessments validated a downhill trend; I was treated dismissively by teacher and admin. as I sought solutions to the problem; 'let's wait and see' was a put off because there is not enough admin. to address parent concerns, or supervise teachers/classrooms. An independent reading comprehension eval revealed 'holes in learning.' My advice to parents: use open enrollment and find a good school quickly if you see problems. The new school contacted me the first week to address deficits. This child now reads voraciously and made the Principal's list. Some Villa parents fear public schools; when I read the new school Code of Conduct, I knew there were peer behaviors (harassment, meanness) tolerated at Villa that would NEVER be tolerated in the new setting. My child is now more secure and flourishing.

Posted April 25, 2007

We're pulling our kids out of Villa. The classrooms are disorganized, the teachers don't have a good handle on classroom management. The administration lacks leadership. They won't return phone calls and evade parent concerns. Compared to other schools, Villa is weak in music, art, extracurriculars. I am worried that my children have fallen behind.

Posted February 6, 2007

Villa Montessori has been a great choice for our three children since preschool. The best asset that Villa has, are the teachers. The teachers provide very individualized attention with academics and with each child personally. Our experience has been exceptional and it has impacted the independence and self confidence of our children, each in their own way. The staff is approachable, willing and caring.

Posted February 1, 2007

It became another job for my husband and me. Poor quality teaching. Too many kids in ea. class. Kids are out of control. Parents always fundraising. They nickle and dime you to death. Lots of nice parents and some good teachers, but too inconsistent for us.

Posted November 12, 2006

Villa has been home to my family since 1994. My son attended school here at Villa, from the time he was 4 years old. He is now a Junior at Brophy. He was well prepared for his classes in high school, and has had the confidence to tackle all of the new challenges that come his way, both academically and socially. I always felt welcome by the teachers to discuss issues that related to my son, academically and personally and found them a great resource, as a parent. I volunteered often and made many close friends over the years doing so. We have another child at Villa, now in kindergarten, and I see him thriving, as well, and as before, the teachers and assistants have been there at each step to give 100% and more for his individual needs as well as mine.

Posted August 15, 2006

Love the idea of villa, but gave up on unmet promises. Great parents. Teachers are hit or miss. Some are excellent. One of my kids lost 2years in an out-of-control room. Assistants and subs belittled the kids, creating a culture of 'bad kids.' The promise of one teacher for 3 years was a mirage. Coordination between campuses is frustrating. The bus - sometimes the only option - is costly and unreliable. Despite numerous attempts by parents to creat one, there is no organized parent organization. Infighting and competition among grades 4-6 teachers made fundraising difficult for costly overnight field trips. Parents have no voice with administration. The middle school, which is what drew us to villa in the first place, went downhill. My kids begged to switch schools. Villa gave them a great beginning, and I hope the school can recapture the founding strengths that contribute to its great reputation.

Posted August 3, 2006

I have been going to Villa since third grade, and i have loved every minute of it. I went to a traditional school before this, and it struggled to keep nme interested. At villa, however, I am kept very busy=).Another thing I feel I must add is that I have clinical anxiety, and while I have faced many challenges life has thrown at me, my teachers and peers have been by my side. The middle school is amazing...I advise you to look into it. I am now about to enter eigth grade (my last year at villa), and I can honestly say that I would not be the person I am today without this school. I have done more in my thirteen years of living than many people do in their entire lives because of this school. I really will miss this school...because of them, I know I can succeed in life.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 5, 2006

Villa is wonderful for the preprimary education, but after that, it's hit or miss depending on the teacher you get. Some are incredibly qualified and exceptional, some are, shall I say, Not! When my children moved on to other programs because we were not satisfied with Villa, we found they were unacceptably behind (i.e. not reading after the third grade) although we had been led to believe otherwise by their teachers. It is a great community, but unfortunately, that isn't much consolation.

Posted March 29, 2006

Just an outsiders view of my initial impressions. The school definitely offers the wide range of activities that any average school would have. There was a calm atmosphere in the rooms, lots of things going on without disruption. Definitely a place for self starters, the kids were so interested in their work--very refreshing to see.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 15%N/A47%
Female 51%N/A49%
Male 49%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab
  • Outdoor learning lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Visual arts

• Kitchen
  • Swimming pool

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Gifted specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)

Media arts
  • None

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize cultural events
  • Present special topics during curricular units

Apply now