Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 19, 2015
Check out the website about the philosophy of the school. The teachers are some of the most wonderful people I have met. When you walk into the class there is order. Every child has their own space and the teachers keep the children in a calm and relaxed environment in which to learn. I am a child psychologist and my daughter love this school. I was very critical but this place truly impressed me. Go down and see for yourself.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted July 19, 2015
Grit is taught by LIFE no matter where you are. They let your child discover what they enjoy and allows them freedom and teach them to overcome new situations and activities.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted July 19, 2015
The children are all given the same space and attention and taught to respect themselves and others.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted July 19, 2015
I really chose this school because of the philosophy. Go to the website and see if you agree. But more than that I have been watching the teachers and they truly do believe and use the skills in the class.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted July 19, 2015
Once again look at the website. Everything from the calm environment to the dispute resolution skills the children learn is fantastic. They are more than about studying they are working on how the child interacts socially with the world. The skills my daughter has obtained will serve her well for years to come.

Villa Montessori - Phoenix Campus 5

Posted July 19, 2015
This school is amazing! I am a child therapist and was very critical of where I would place my first child. When you walk into the school it is amazing. No chaos. Every child is organized with their own work space. They all help each other. You must visit this school to truly understand and appreciate this school. I saw the negative reviews and truly if you are considering a school NEVER go by the reviews. Go to the school and see for yourself. I love the philosophy on their website and every teacher keeps the children calm and organized. I Love it and I think you will also.

Posted January 15, 2015
Charter school of the year??!! That is a complete joke. Did you see the schools that were runners up? I don't know if that is something to brag about. Who is judging this? How much does Villa pay to be part of the Charter School Association? Has the question been asked what is Villa doing to prepare for AZMerit? How is this school going to abide by the state testing when they don't have the infrastructure to even support the test? They sure do like to take the money that the state gives them for my child being enrolled there. Are they going to opt out and have their kids be further behind? These are the questions I asked as an informed parent and was given the run around by the administration. This school is falling further behind and I can't let my child suffer because of them. She has been pulled and placed at a school that is planning for the future, not just talking about it.

Posted December 09, 2014
We had very high hopes for this school but ended up withdrawing our child after three months. Class sizes were much larger than what we were told on initial tour and the aids in the classroom had extremely limited childcare experience. We were placed in a classroom with a teacher new to the school who seemed perpetually stressed and unavailable to interact with. Resolving issues in the classroom did not appear to be the goal. Rather, they "managed" challenging kids out. Three other children left the same classroom prior to us in a very short period of time. We left a school we loved to come to Villa based on the rave reviews we heard. Be cautious of the hype.

Villa Montessori - Phoenix Campus 5

Posted November 05, 2014
I am shocked by the negative comments - both my children have excelled at Villa, and absolutely love the school. Having moved a few times when they were younger, we were able to see several schools. Villa is BY FAR the best. I can't stress enough how much they love going to school now. That alone is fantastic, but combined with their high test scores, the incredible teachers, the after school programs (especially art and science club), it all makes Villa a standout school. Easily one of the best public/charter schools in Phoenix, AND just won Arizona Charter School of the Year. Is Villa for everyone? No. The whole point of Montessori is to let students learn as much as they can, at their own pace. Learning self discipline and time management is critical. Some students might not thrive under those conditions. Others will love that they can keep moving to the next 'level' once they complete their current level work. Between my 2 kids, we've seen teachers at every level from age 3 up to 6th grade. The teachers are almost superhuman with their time & effort, the parents are very involved & supportive, and my kids LOVE going to Villa. Best. School. Ever.

Posted August 18, 2014
We have switched to Madison and are much happier. We liked the parents a lot at Villa and the atmosphere was gentle & nice, but the kids were missing out there. Didn't love the math program and the lack of foreign language was a big negative for us. Now that we moved, we have a great math program, awesome Spanish classes, PE 2 x a week, and even a real art teacher (not just ceramics all the time). Think I'd give more stars for just the pre-school at Villa, but if I'm rating the grade school, I can't...the school just isn't competitive with other schools academically. No Spanish or Chinese and the ancient math program just puts our kids at a comparative disadvantage. Stick with Villa for preschool only.

4535 N. 28th Street, Phoenix, AZ  85016
Last modified Villa Montessori - Phoenix Campus is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Villa Montessori - Phoenix Campus Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 122 reviews. Top