Westwind Preparatory Academy

Charter | 9-12 | 225 students

Small size, athletics, excellent teachers, students getting scholarships

Posted June 7, 2014

I have been a student at this school for two years, and I will be a senior next year. I transferred to WPA from a good school. After I graduate, I plan on going to VMI or NGU. I am involved in different sports and I like that we do well in sports. I like it because the teachers pay attention to all students. They give us challenging work, but help us do well. I also like that we have students from all over the world who attend. I would recommend this school for students who want to go on to a university because it prepares you for that.

Posted September 23, 2013

This school challenges the children every day pushing them to be very successful adults . The teachers are also so willing to help the children with anything that they may be having problems with.

Posted September 23, 2013

Westwind is a wonderful school! Small class sizes, more individualized attention. My Son is attending and is in almost all Honors classes. They really challenge the kids to do their best!

Posted September 20, 2013

If I could rate this school a ZERO star I would. Our son was "recruited" to play basketball for them in a "post graduate program." It is a VERY expensive program at over 20k PER year. We relocated, spent over 3,500.00 in doing so only to have the superindentent (Debra Slagle) FIRE the coach two days after school started! The replacement was a former videographer from the NBA with NO prep school experience name Steadman. When I brought this to Mrs. Slagles attention, I was told we could withdraw and she would refund our deposit. Approximately ONE week later, we noticed the assistant Coach, named WEAVER appeared to have a "dislike" for our son saying rude, disrespectful comments to him. We again attempted to bring this to Ms. Slagels' attention. She did nothing, My son went to her office to meat with her and discuss the incident...she was TOO BUSY TO SEE HIM! We contacted the head Coach, again-NOTHING. Ultimately, our son chose to leave the program two days later. SHE WOULD NOT REFUND OUR DEPOSIT! I filed a complaint with the school board. She had EVERY reason as to why she did not OWE us a refund despite saying she would offer us a complete refund earlier!

Posted September 19, 2013

Westwind is the perfect mix of community feel and strong academics. The administration has been diligent about improving this school the entire 4 years that my daughter has attended. The teachers are attentive and helpful and do a good job controlling, guiding and supporting their classes.

Posted September 18, 2013

The school is great. It is a college prepatory school so they have high expectations. The classes are great with good teachers. They are flexible with problems they you may have.

Posted October 13, 2011

Excellent supportive learning environment. Great teachers and hard working dedicated principal. With small class size and the range of subjects to choose from e.g. forensic science. you will get value for your efforts in selecting this school.

Posted May 7, 2010

I am graduating from Westwind this month 5/10. I am extremely grateful for the office staff, counselor, principal, assistant principal and teachers. I have seen alot of changes over the 4 years that I've attended Westwind. The last 2 years have been the best due to new principal and counselor. They treat the students like family. As if we're their own children. They take the time to let us know when we're off track as well as praise us when we're doing good. If you're looking for a small school that has a family feel and you want one on one time with your teacher. This is the school for you!

Posted May 7, 2010

We at Westwind take alot of pride in our school. We believe that every student has the abilitiy to achieve the goal of graduating from high school and college. Please take the time to visit our small family community.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 6, 2010

I attended Westwind Preparatory my sophomore year. I literally begged to go to that school. My first day there i found out that they didnt have any of the accelerated classes that i wanted. The counselor chose which classes I went into and when i suggested another class she would answer with 'the teacher is a b', (she said 'b' and not the whole word). At lunch I found out that they served fast food from the McDonalds that was nearby. They gave my brother a class that he didnt need and when we went there to talk to the office about it they would send us back to class saying that they would fix it later. Finally the last time we went they seriously yelled at us telling us that it was too late to change it and that we should've came in earlier but we .....

Posted March 5, 2008

My son attends West Wind as a Junior he is involved in every sport there is. He absolutely loves this school! He attended a Public school his freshman year, and his academics were very poor. Since WestWind he has improved dramatically in his academics. Most of the teachers are most helpful and wanting to see success in their students, while others i question. My nephews have also attending this school back in 2003 and they loved it. It is small school, not over crowded with alot of students.

Posted March 5, 2008

I am a freshman at Westwind and I love it. They are pretty strict especially with like cellphones and discipline. Almost all of the teachers are amazing. The principal is not my favorite peron though. my favorite person though

Posted January 16, 2008

I would recommend this school to other parents. My daughter was at a large school but wanted to be in smaller classes. The school has grown leaps and bounds in the area of extracurricular activities. They are now a part of AIA. My daughter has participated in volleyball, basketball and cheer. She is also a part of National Honor Society. Now that the school has been around for ten years, they have established some traditions that both students and parents enjoy. We have another daughter who transferred here from a private school, and she is liking it, too.

Posted November 21, 2007

The teachers are great. but almost everyone in the office/administration is as rude as can be.

Posted October 15, 2007

We love this school. The principal and staff are awesome, and the teachers are great! Our kids like to dodge doing homework, but the online PASS system makes it so that we can check their homework & grades every day on the web. Thanks teachers for caring so much!

Posted March 12, 2007

My child has just started at Westwind but, so far I am very pleased with how that teachers seem to be working with my child on a one to one bases.

Posted April 17, 2006

We moved our son from public school because of lack of concern for individual needs and lack of discipline. Westwind solved both of these problems. He hated public school but loves Westwind.

Posted March 27, 2006

This is my daughters first year at the school and we love it! She has awesome teachers who take the time to teach! I recommend the school to alot of people!

Posted February 24, 2006

Very good teachers, but the administration is questionable -- especially the head principal.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 8, 2006

Not enough parental involvement. Very little music and art program. Teachers need more resources for their classes.
—Submitted by a former student

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Source: Arizona Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 64%N/A47%
Female 45%N/A49%
Male 55%N/A51%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Bennett Academy
Amerischools
Caurus Academy
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 30% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 60% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 2% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 3% (2013)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 5% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation ASU
NAU
Phoenix College
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Dance teacher(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Foreign languages spoken by staff

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
  • Debra Slagle
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Direct instruction
  • Dual Enrollment College Classes
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Career/college counseling
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring
  • Audiovisual aids
  • College/career center
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Dance club: hip hop

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

8 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year
225
Applications received for the 2012-2013 school year
300
Students typically come from these schools
Bennett Academy
Amerischools
Caurus Academy

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
ASU
NAU
Phoenix College
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
SAT/ACT prep classes
Summer college prep programs
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Dual enrollment university cla