No rating

Ss Simon & Jude School

Private | PK-8 | 495 students

Living in Phoenix

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $48,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $660.

Posted June 8, 2014

In a large city such as Phoenix, SSJ provides that small, hometown, close-knit environment we all want for our children. Your child will grow up with lifelong friends who share their Catholic values. It is a safe environment where your children grow feeling God s love. This school has been so much more than a school. It is a community where our children have grown securely belonging to a family that they will cherish for the rest of their lives. Educationally, this is an absolutely outstanding start to your child s academic career.

Posted June 8, 2014

SSJ has definitely been an experience that I will treasure. I went to elementary school here all the way from kindergarten through 8th grade. The skills taught here are some that have been useful throughout my entire life. Seeing as I now attend college, I can see where the strong foundation made at SSJ has helped me get to where I am now. In addition to the excelling academics and basic skills learned through my time at SSJ, the parish and community feel is one that makes SSJ even more unique. There is a sense of community instilled in this school and is what ties everyone together at this school. The fact that everyone cheers on the Irish at sports games, gives a helping hand to families in difficult times, and becomes intensely involved in school and parish functions makes SSJ a home for every student. Because of SSJ I have grown as a student, individual, and catholic and for that I am forever grateful. I love SSJ!

Posted June 7, 2014

Ss. Simon and Jude Catholic School is such an incredibly special environment. Students, teachers, staff and parents all make up one family and the school truly embraces every child and family. Sr. Raphael, the principal, is one of the kindest people I have ever met and she truly models how to walk with God and treat others with love and compassion. The teachers and staff care about the education and faith building of all the students and are advocates for the children every day. I can't begin to describe the extraordinary spirit that surrounds this school, but if you are a part of the community and your child goes here, you will feel it and know what it means to be a part of the SSJ Family. They are welcoming and accepting of all families and work hard to deliver a premier academic education to every student while also including the faith-based learning in every classroom. I would highly recommend Ss. Simon and Jude to anyone seeking a Catholic education for their child(ren). There is no place like SSJ and the high caliber of this school is due to the Loreto Sisters and the strong influence of their faith, service and love for every person they encounter.

Posted June 3, 2014

My four children attended Ss Simon & Jude School over a 14 years. I highly recommend SSJ to all! This school gave my children their strong basis to go on further to high school and college. SSJ taught them the importance of academics and hard work. The school also gave them a strong faith foundation to which enhanced their moral beliefs and personal character. SSJ highly encourages parent participation and the staff at the school is extraordinary! The back bone of the school is Sr Raphael who has been the principle for over 42 years! She has each student both past and present in her heart and wants the best for each one of them. The school recently went through renovations and has a state of the art science lab, library, gymnasium, and new junior high classrooms! All the other class areas were updated as well. If you want to get your children to get a great academic start and love school Ss Simon & Jude is the answer!

Posted May 31, 2014

My child attended SSJ on scholarship. Neither of us ever felt we were treated any differently. We were blessed and fortunate to be provided such a wonderful academic program and a community of support. The friendships we both made still exist today. And, we hold Sister Raphael and the other sisters in high regard. Sister truly amazes me with her ability to know each and everyone of the students. I attribute my child's success in high school, college and the workplace to the foundation received at SSJ. I am so grateful for child's wonderful experience and mine, now that I am in a position to give back to SSJ I do so through CTODP. Through my contributes, I hope some child or children will have the same wonderful experience that my child had at SSJ.

Posted May 30, 2014

SSJ educated my four children. All good things must come to an end, and my youngest graduated May, 2013. Even a year later, I find myself wishing SSJ had a high school campus. We are, for the most part, happy with the high school, and it offers a wonderful academic program, but it is not SSJ. While no school, and no child, is perfect, what I miss most about the SSJ experience is the strong sense of a community of faith, the close friendships of the children, the wonderful principal and pastor, and that goofy lost and found table that would always have our lost lunchboxes and jackets safely stowed there until we missed them. The academics were fine, and my youngest tested out of Spanish. All my kids began high school with Geometry. When my kids return to SSJ for a special event, they are recognized and called by name by Sister Raphael, even many years after their graduation. The great thing about this principal is that every kid loves her. She reaches all of the kids, even the ones who struggle. Seems like a tough job to me, but she obviously has a special gift for it. Still very grateful for the experience of my children.

Posted May 30, 2014

SSJ brought me so much joy in the six years I attended it. I graduated in 2013, and I know that the best aspect of SSJ is the principal, Sr. Raphael. Sr. Raphael knows each student by name and character and she has for many years. She works to promote the gifts of each individual. First and foremost, she helps to instill an unfeigned, indescribably deep love for God and the Church. Second, she prepares students academically for the high schools that each student attends. Third, she taught me how to manage my time so I can indulge in extracurricular activities now that I am in high school (sports!). I attend a public high school now, and without the religious education that I received at SSJ, I don't know what I would do! I am learning to combat the less than perfect real world with love and hope. Fr. Lankeit augmented my love for God even further throughout his time at the Cathedral. He came in on Wednesdays to teach and I LOVED IT! PHENOMENAL.The only bad part about SSJ is there were a couple of nasty teachers, but there were also EXCEPTIONAL ones like the new 8th grade english teacher. This amazing teacher gave our class classic literature and loved each student. Thanks SSJ!

Posted May 30, 2014

I am so grateful to Saints Simon and Jude for the wonderful education that my children received. Each child is different, but I was very pleased with the way each was treated. Such a wonderful Catholic community, faith-filled and nurturing through the years! I have very fond memories of those years. I had tried other elementary schools before Saints Simon and Jude, and was not happy. But this one was just right for my family. Not perfect, but close enough, and as good as I have found.

Posted May 29, 2014

I am so thankful to have found the wonderful school and community that is Ss. Simon and Jude. This school is a treasure! We moved here without any family or friends. I toured several schools but as many parents can attest, the feeling, the environment and the spirit of the school is palpable when you walk on campus. From the smiling faces of children who politely greet you as they learn social skills and confidence alongside their academic studies to the reverence of 400 students during weekly all-school mass which I like to attend and sit with my children. The principal and faculty do a wonderful job of helping our children to grow into young, discerning Catholics who will not only succeed but thrive as adults In every aspect of their lives. I am so happy to have all of my children at the school. One of the things that impressed me the most is that the principal does not mandate volunteer hours for parents like other schools do because she believes that the willingness to serve and give needs to come from the heart. We are fortunate to have an active community of parents, a school/team sports for 5th-8th grade, music/band program, iPad program, new gym and new library!

Posted May 28, 2014

Our children have attended SSJ for many years. We have wonderful experiences with the Teachers and Staff, and everybody -especially the kids- love the Principal Sister Raphael. She leads with compassion and genuinely cares about each family. The academics are certainly rigorous (as should be expected), and there is a strong emphasis on forming discerning Catholics. The library, science lab, and gymnasium are state of the art. The theatre program is fantastic, unlike anything that we've seen at a grammar school! SSJ is one the reasons that keep us from relocating.

Posted May 28, 2014

Strong Leadership is the key to this school. I have had two children graduate from SSJ and one is still there. One of my favorite things is going to church with the students and many parents attend. It shows what a great community we have. Besides teaching Catholic values, the education is stellar. I'm continually impressed with the way SSJ strives to implement technology into the classrooms. I have frequently been a volunteer in the classroom and love to see the teachers using their SmartBoards with such ease. I should say that, as with any school, there have been times where we disagreed with a teacher about one thing or another. The good news is that we have always been able to sit down and work things out, with the help of Sr. Raphael. She somehow stands by her teachers AND her parents. Finally, the teachers are top-notch. In all of our years, we have never requested one over the other because we have never had a bad experience.

Posted May 28, 2014

We have had four children at Ss. Simon and Jude Catherdral school, and two are there currently. This is one of the best decisions we have made for our family. Our kids are smart, polite go-getters who treat others with respect. We would love to take full credit for this, but we know that SSJ deserves it's share of the credit. When you are at the weekly assmbly, you can feel the positive energy. It feels like home. Students are empowered to take responsiblity for themselves as early as Kindergarten. Staff, teachers, students and parents at Ss. Simon and Jude Cathedral School value diversity, morals and high academic standards. The curriculum will prepare your children to excell in high school. I would reccomend this school to any family.

Posted August 29, 2013

I thought this school would be wonderful for my daughter, and that the staff would be kind compassionate Godly people. I found out that is not true. Scholarship students are treated like low class citizens, even in Kindergarten! I was also not allowed to participate at all in the classroom or even attend mass with my daughter, but other parents saw my daughter being bullied. They told me about it, but did nothing to help her or notify the leadership. The principal and kindergarten teacher ignored that my daughter was being bullied, and even suggested that we were lying. After the teacher called my daughter a tattle-tale, and humiliated her in front of her class more than once, I tried to get help but the principal would do nothing. So I removed my daughter from that school. I am very angry at the people involved, especially since I have been told that they are telling people that my daughter was the problem and the reason we left. But that is not true. I have never met such a horrible people disguised as Christians. Sad. I wish I had made a better choice for her first year in school! Now she is at Madison Simis and much happier without the mean teacher and students.

Posted July 11, 2011

This school had been an answer to a prayer. Sister Raphael is wonderful! My son had a LD and the teacher he had last year worked very closely with us to ensure that he was on track. My daughter's teacher was great at communication and very approachable. The only downside is that some of the older employees maybe do not understand a child with a LD. My children had attended another Catholic school before and SSJ is far superior. I feel like everyone truly cares about my kids.

Posted November 26, 2010

The lower grades were great for my daughter, however once 5th grade came around the school took a turn for the worst. My daughter was constantly being picked on for being to fat, although she was only a size six. The teachers were either very young and inexperienced or very old and very crabby. My daughter is a very smart and creative girl and the school did not allow her to explore her creative side. The amount of homework each night for 6th grade was absurd, almost 3 hours every night! My daughter would cry and stress out over every assignment for fear of humiliation in front of the class if she did poorly. Finally we just pulled her out at the semester break and sent her to Metro Arts. She is much happier there and is learning a lot and enjoying her life.

Posted September 14, 2010

must say that it was the best decesion and investment of a lifetime...my children have been students there since kindergarten...awesome...students are thought study skills and to serve others!!!! Best years: middle school!!!! When my Joy graduated from SSJ she turned out a full rounded students...please if you cannot afford the tuition ask for assistance to the Principal...all the staff is wonderfull...you'r child should become a part of our school!!!

Posted August 4, 2009

Good school as far as activities and curriculum, but I found that there were too many students in each class. My child went in the middle school grade and had a hard time integrating with students that had gone to the school since the lower grades. My child's teacher was new in the home room and she was too young and inexperienced to be teaching so many students in her class. The other teacher that did some of the alternate classes had been teaching too long. I would not recommend this school for the middles school grades.

Posted July 31, 2009

I went to this school and loved it, if you want a school with a strong catholic values, and a family feel go to SSJ. At SSJ kids come from all backgrounds, but have only one thing that really unites everyone and that is their catholic religion. Every teacher, but one I had was terrific.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 29, 2009

I just graduated SSJ this past year. I loved everything about it. I was very involved in the activities and played almost every sport. SSJ taught me to be out going and accept people for who they are. I also learned to pay better attention in class and how to take good notes and to study. Thanks to SSJ, I'm more confident about attending a public high school this semester. Sr. Raphael is a wonderful woman and she encouraged me every step of the way through the eight years I was there. SSJ ROCKS!!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 26, 2009

This school is wonderful. Absolutely amazing community to be a part of. The principal Sr. Raphael is a wonderful, caring, kind person and truly devoted to the children and the school.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 11% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Phoenix

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6351 North 27th Avenue