Sts. Simon & Jude School

Private | K-8

Living in Phoenix

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $48,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $660.

Sweep tile

Posted August 29, 2013

I thought this school would be wonderful for my daughter, and that the staff would be kind compassionate Godly people. I found out that is not true. Scholarship students are treated like low class citizens, even in Kindergarten! I was also not allowed to participate at all in the classroom or even attend mass with my daughter, but other parents saw my daughter being bullied. They told me about it, but did nothing to help her or notify the leadership. The principal and kindergarten teacher ignored that my daughter was being bullied, and even suggested that we were lying. After the teacher called my daughter a tattle-tale, and humiliated her in front of her class more than once, I tried to get help but the principal would do nothing. So I removed my daughter from that school. I am very angry at the people involved, especially since I have been told that they are telling people that my daughter was the problem and the reason we left. But that is not true. I have never met such a horrible people disguised as Christians. Sad. I wish I had made a better choice for her first year in school! Now she is at Madison Simis and much happier without the mean teacher and students.

Posted July 11, 2011

This school had been an answer to a prayer. Sister Raphael is wonderful! My son had a LD and the teacher he had last year worked very closely with us to ensure that he was on track. My daughter's teacher was great at communication and very approachable. The only downside is that some of the older employees maybe do not understand a child with a LD. My children had attended another Catholic school before and SSJ is far superior. I feel like everyone truly cares about my kids.

Posted November 26, 2010

The lower grades were great for my daughter, however once 5th grade came around the school took a turn for the worst. My daughter was constantly being picked on for being to fat, although she was only a size six. The teachers were either very young and inexperienced or very old and very crabby. My daughter is a very smart and creative girl and the school did not allow her to explore her creative side. The amount of homework each night for 6th grade was absurd, almost 3 hours every night! My daughter would cry and stress out over every assignment for fear of humiliation in front of the class if she did poorly. Finally we just pulled her out at the semester break and sent her to Metro Arts. She is much happier there and is learning a lot and enjoying her life.

Posted September 14, 2010

must say that it was the best decesion and investment of a lifetime...my children have been students there since kindergarten...awesome...students are thought study skills and to serve others!!!! Best years: middle school!!!! When my Joy graduated from SSJ she turned out a full rounded students...please if you cannot afford the tuition ask for assistance to the Principal...all the staff is wonderfull...you'r child should become a part of our school!!!

Posted August 4, 2009

Good school as far as activities and curriculum, but I found that there were too many students in each class. My child went in the middle school grade and had a hard time integrating with students that had gone to the school since the lower grades. My child's teacher was new in the home room and she was too young and inexperienced to be teaching so many students in her class. The other teacher that did some of the alternate classes had been teaching too long. I would not recommend this school for the middles school grades.

Posted July 31, 2009

I went to this school and loved it, if you want a school with a strong catholic values, and a family feel go to SSJ. At SSJ kids come from all backgrounds, but have only one thing that really unites everyone and that is their catholic religion. Every teacher, but one I had was terrific.

Posted July 29, 2009

I just graduated SSJ this past year. I loved everything about it. I was very involved in the activities and played almost every sport. SSJ taught me to be out going and accept people for who they are. I also learned to pay better attention in class and how to take good notes and to study. Thanks to SSJ, I'm more confident about attending a public high school this semester. Sr. Raphael is a wonderful woman and she encouraged me every step of the way through the eight years I was there. SSJ ROCKS!!!

Posted April 26, 2009

This school is wonderful. Absolutely amazing community to be a part of. The principal Sr. Raphael is a wonderful, caring, kind person and truly devoted to the children and the school.

Posted October 18, 2008

The best school ever! they are excellent at sports, the school is full of trophies!

Posted July 7, 2008

Great school, excellent teachers. Faith based programs, discpline with purpose. Incredible community, strong sense of accountabiliy and community service. Great academics. Sister Raphael is the pillar of this academic institution. She leads with integrity and faith.

Posted June 14, 2008

As a graduating student of this school, I have really good things to say about it. The Junior High years have prepared me in many ways to attend Xavier College Preperatory, and have improved my outlook on life. In addition, my teachers have inspired me to reach to my full potential and always go 200%. Although pitfalls lie in the music and spanish programs, the overall experience is very high. It is fantastic to have such small classes becuase you literally know everyone's life story.

Posted November 16, 2007

Fantastic school with caring, involved teachers. The prinicpal, recently named Principal of the Year by KEZ FM radio, is amazing with her lifetime dedication to the school and its families....goes well beyond academics

Posted August 10, 2007

SSJ is a great school with a history of great leadership. As a family struggling to make tuition, we still believe it is worth every penny. The teachers are great, even though some are better than others, as with any school. The high level of parent involvement is a great example to our kids of what people can accomplish when they all pitch in. Much more than just great academics.

Posted June 25, 2007

Spanish program is one to be desired. The Spanish teacher has taught my 8th grader nothing -- she after 3 years cannot put sentences together. The music department/marching band is horrible. The principal favors those who can put $$ into the school those of us have very little input. The bad teachers stay despite complaints because of the difficulty in hiring/keeping teachers in the private sector. If your child is athletic, the athletic program here at SSJ needs improvement.

Posted July 21, 2006

I went to SSJ for six years, and I didn't really enjoy it. I got a good preparatory education, that much is true, but when I began at a public school in sixth grade, I realized that as we got older, that fact didn't stay consistent. This school really focuses on teaching their younger students, but the older ones have a little too much time on their hands, and are often busy complaining about and trying to gloss over rules that they consider unfair. Discipline is not a huge matter here, regardless of the school's statements; bullying is a particularly big issue for many students, especially those who are at Saints Simon and Jude on scholarship. There aren't many extracurriculars either, and the band program is horrid. A lot of the teachers here are wonderful, but they won't get you your money's worth on thier own.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 14, 2005

High quality Catholic school, with heavy emphasis on basics and faith. Disipline is carefully monitored, but fair, and a high level of decorum is obvious in classrooms and on campus overall. Much opportunity for parental involvement. Expect moderate to homework in all grades, increasing with upper grades. Attendance at Mass is monthly or more depending on grade level. Children learn much about faith and integrating it into daily life. Overall, teachers are very supportive, and extra help is available on campus when needed. Originally founded by Irish priest and nuns, some still in active service as pastor and principal, and a rich Irish 'feel' is present in this school. Some would catagorize this school as strict in discipline, but parents wanting a school that feels, 'like school should be,' (meaning children are well behaved and attentive, and expected to respect themselves and others), would be happy here.

Posted May 2, 2005

We worked very hard to get our daughter into SSJ and have been well rewarded for our efforts. The academic programs keep children in tip top form, the social environment is kind, and spirituality is taught throughout the day. She has blossomed into a thoughtful and caring child. When you go to SSJ, you know you are in a better place. The recess play is kinder and gentler. The children are well mannered. Parental involvement is encouraged. Visit the campus at anytime and you will find parents working in the classroom, on fund raising activities, or just helping out. After 3 years at the school, I know the majority of the parents in my daughters class; which is nice because after school play dates are common. Drawback to the school: too many children, usually a class size of 30 (but there are aides and parents to help the teacher.)

Posted February 15, 2005

SSJ provides an excellent liberal arts education with an emphasis in core Christian values. The teachers are outstanding, the curriculum challenging, and the extracurricular activites are plentiful. SSJ graduates are critical thinkers who are able to successfully transition into the most competitive high schools in the area. I would strongly recommend this school. My children love it!

Posted September 21, 2004

This is a wonderful school. My children are really well taking care of in this school.

Posted October 21, 2003

The principal and staff at Ss. Simon & Jude school provide a rich, academic environment for children to excel in. Strong, Catholic values are reinforced through the Discipline with a Purpose program. Many educational opportunities are available to all students from band, Spanish, Latin, art, computers, and Irish dance to name a few. The school started in 1954 by the Loretto Sisters from Ireland. Many are still there today as the convent exists on the school grounds. The teaching staff is dedicated to the development of the whole child. Ss. Simon and Jude is rooted in basic faith filled values and strives to produce academic excellence from its students.

Asian 11% N/A
Two or more races 4% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Phoenix

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6351 N 27th Ave