No rating

Brophy College Preparatory

Private | 9-12

Living in Phoenix

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $179,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $790.

Sweep tile

Posted April 6, 2014

As a former student, I found my Brophy experience varied. The administration can be very helpful and insightful, and I really enjoyed some of my teachers over my time there. I matured, made my best friends, and was able to get a GREAT academic education. I did not really play sports on campus, but I found there was a little bit of a disparity between the mindsets of some of the students and myself, especially early on. Some of the students were a little lazy, slacked off, and focused more on partying than school, but that was their personal choice. I feel that if you want to excel as a student, Brophy offers all the resources one could ask for to create a successful student. It also gives you opportunities to go to schools like Stanford (go Cardinal!), Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc., but that is ALL contingent on the amount of work a given student is willing to put in. I felt that if someone really wanted to succeed at Brophy, they definitely could. However, some students do the work just to get by, which detracts a little bit from the opportunities available post-graduation. Overall, I would candidly recommend Brophy, especially if your son is a go-getter and desires to succeed.

Posted August 21, 2013

We researched Brophy heavily and personally know many former graduates and students. It's an excellent school but It was not a great fit for what we were seeking. We were seeking a very academic oriented school where the majority of students' ambition was to matriculate at Ivy League or top university. In our opinion, Brophy places too much emphasis upon athletics and the social element. Brophy is somewhat of a legacy school as well. Many students are children of former Brophy graduates. We didn't want our child to feel at a disadvantage because his parents didn't attend Brophy. We understand that religion is not overbearing here, but it's also not something one can dismiss either. We are not Christian, and did not want our child to feel like he couldn't fit in or that his faith was somehow inferior. Despite these challenges, I wanted to rate Brophy high. I have a very high opinion of the school. I do think that an academically inclined student can succeed here. I also think it is an excellent choice if your child wishes to play collegiate or professional sports. But for us, we desired a school whose primary focus was on academics.

Posted June 20, 2013

Prior to enrolling my son into Brophy, I was surprised by the strong negative reactions from individuals who judged the school by hearsay. However, when I spoke to several Brophy graduates and their parents from different racial backgrounds and socio-economic levels, they raved about the school, teachers and their classmates. My son was accepted to Brophy this year. I have found this school to be a very positive experience for my son, especially as a former public school teacher from AZ. Throughout the admission process, the administrators were responsive to requests and the student helpers were kind and respectful. The school has kept us informed every step of the way through emails; a welcome dinner; assigning my son an upper classman mentor to make his transition to high school easier (who he met already); a new student day where he met with counselors, department chairs and coaches. And, his Freshman year hasn't even started yet (it's mid-June as I write this). Lastly, we come from modest means and received a scholarship for my son to attend. My son has felt welcomed and not made to feel inferior. He is taking summer school and loves it!

Posted May 19, 2013

Brophy is a great school if your son is willing and able to put in the four hours of homework daily that it takes to get good grades. For the middle-class single parent who works long hours to pay the steep tuition, it can be disappointing. For the athlete, it is difficult to find the time to do all the work required. There are no do-overs like at the public high schools, you can't retake the course over the summer for a better grade and up your GPA. The rich and poor get the help needed at home or by Brophy to make it an easier journey. There is tuition aide or outside $ tutors are used. If you can't pay for a tutor or stay at home but are willing and able to get on-line daily to see what is required and then have the time to sit and make sure its done (or if you have a highly motivated 14 year old boy who will do everything themselves!), it's taxing. And you will pay lots as tuition has been rising. Brophy staff (teachers and administration) are great at knowing your son and making them accountable. My son has made great life-long friends. He has learned many lessons to become a man for others. For that I will always be grateful to Brophy.

Posted May 6, 2013

Brophy is a wonderful community....outstanding faculty, accomplished students and very involved parents. The curriculum and expectations are high. If you want an easy education at a private school, consider Scottsdale Christian Academy....they will let you come and go as you please (as long as you pay the tuition!) with a curriculum that is far from challenging.

Posted September 30, 2012

I am a former student of Brophy. I have since graduated from a top college and am now in medical school. I was in the honors program at Brophy and have since found school easy. For someone who isn t related to a student or at least know a student personally to say otherwise is completely irresponsible and not fair. Brophy has the highest rate of college-bound graduates in the state and is competitive on a national level in that regard. Study and work hard and Harvard/Princeton/Yale are not out of reach. In order to go to an Ivy League from other schools in the state, you really have to stand out. Moreover, Brophy is one of the most tight-knit communities I have ever been involved in and lets face it: when it comes to getting a job (or that internship you really want), it certainly doesn t hurt. I haven t even graduated medical school yet but I know there will be a job waiting for me after residency thanks to the Brophy community and who I now know. There is absolutely no doubt that the academics at Brophy are by far and away the best in the state and no one has higher standards. No public school comes close.

Posted September 15, 2012

Note that I am NOT a Brophy parent, but have several friends who are, of students school at what I feel is a better public school and probably generally agreed to be the best Public High School in Arizona, Desert Vista High School. We considered Brophy, but decided against it for several reasons and feels, for us, our decision for our sons was the right one. Both our sons have and are excelling at DVHS. Brophy didnt work for us 1. the Religion is overbearing 2. The Academics are inferior (in my opinion) to DVHS and 3. Our son now at UA is convinced Brophy kids are lacking. After seeing Brophy boys instate at U of A, most are lacking in college prep/social skills, perhaps it's just the ones that stayed instate are the weaker one, perhaps, but parents considering Brophy would do well to look 4 years ahead and recognize there are better public High Schools with higher standards.

Posted October 25, 2011

Brophy's the best in the state - academics, sports, spirituality, Jesuit-teaching and ideologies - Go for the best and quality education - go Brophy - it's worth it-

Posted September 8, 2011

Going to Brophy is possibly the best decision I have ever made. The academics are some of the best in the state and Brophy is always a competitive 5A school. However, these are not particularly what I felt made Brophy such an amazing place to go to high school. The brotherhood at Brophy is something that I had never experienced before and most likely will never experience again. Through all the late nights, stress and complaining I would not have it any other way.

Posted August 27, 2011

Just because Brophy says it is a special place does not mean it is! Academics are good with some great teachers and some very poor ones. I expected more from quite a few departments. As long as you play by the rules which can change you are fine . Maybe. Many new to the school struggle to find a place the first year .Principal Ryan is a good man but the Dean is not well liked in his role. We found Brophy impersonal, rigid and arrogant many times during the process. BEWARE. There are other great schools in the Valley.

Posted June 30, 2011

I don't think it gets better. No school is perfect, but I can honestly say that Brophy (in its entirely - staff, teachers, principal, president) is commited to its students.

Posted May 16, 2011

I have one son at Brophy and another one starting next year. I have truly never seen my son happier. Brophy teachers are amazing. Our family makes financial sacrafices to send our boys to Brophy but we would have it no other way. They educate and create balanced yound men that understand their talents and gifts belong to the world. I talk to everyone with a son about considering Brophy for their son. I don't want them to ever graduate. What an amazing school!!!

Posted April 28, 2011

Brophy is somewhat of an elitist school as there are plenty of rich kids that go there--but there are plenty of average kids that attend BCP as well. You do not need to be rich to attend this school. We are middle-class Americans and struggle to pay the tuition but have decided that making certain sacrafices is worth it. Public schools in Phoenix have failed our children. There is discipline, respect and accountability - something most schools could use more of. My son is a senior this year and he loves this school. The teachers are incredible and truly care about each young man that passes through there. They will prepare your son for college, something the Tempe Union High School district did not do for my oldest child. The tablet PC program is awesome. ASU's tech department has been out several times to check out the technology used at Brophy so they must be dong something right. Certainly you'll always have some kids that take advantage of Internet access but untimately they are responsible and will be held accountable. If you are of average income and want the best education possible in Phoenix, I would encourage you to check out Brophy.

Posted February 21, 2011

My son is a freshman this year at Brophy and we drive almost 40 min. each way to get to school. He absolutely loves the school and has never complained about the car time. The academics can be rigorous if that is what you are looking for- my son is taking AP/Honors classes but Brophy is much more than academics. The school truly cares about each boy and they focus their efforts in developoing men with strong character . My kids have been in public school up to this point. Unfortunately, we live in a state that is ranked 49th in the country. I look at the tuition as being the higher taxes that I would have been paying had we still lived out east only its going directly towards education. The other day I said to my son, "Sorry about that, will you forgive me?" His reponse was, "Mom, I am a Jesuit and that is what Jesuits do- yes I will forgive you." That about says it all......

Posted January 9, 2011

The tuition is steep I'll admit, but that is not a reason to dislike the school. All teachers are extremely caring and will do everything in their power to help your son be the best that he can. The Tablet PC Program is a way for students to stay organized and on top of all homework. Sending in assignments is as easy as pushing a few buttons. The only time that someone would play games is if they do not care about success. Staying on task and listening is more important than playing a silly game. I apologize for the long review, but I believe it must be said. I would not be as well rounded as a person if I attended a public school. I would give Brophy College Preparatory 6/5 stars if it was possible. Send your son here!

Posted October 9, 2010

My son got a great education and was happy to be a student there, and has happy memories of his 4 years at Brophy.

Posted October 3, 2010

Brophy is definitely an elitist school. It is pretty easy to get in if you have tons of money. I left Brophy after two years to go to public school and feel more challenged there than Brophy. If you don't happen to be one of the rich kids there, then you won't fit in that well. Truth is, all the kids think their parents will pay for all their stuff, and they can just fool around on the laptop all day. That's another thing, too, the laptop program FAILS! The students just play on them all day and many of the teachers don't punish the student for doing this, especially if the teacher likes the student.

Posted August 25, 2010

Touted as all inclusive school but is very difficult for student of average means. Many excellent teachers have been let go in last few years. Administration is tedious. Tuition is steep.

Posted March 18, 2010

I love brophy because they allow the kids to grow. they have many opportunities for kids to discover who they really are. the extracurricular activities are amazing and student involvement is huge. just check out a brophy football game and you will see why they are considered the best cheering section in the state

Posted September 2, 2009

I loved Brophy! I was in Class of 2009 The good: I got the best education you can get in this city, the school has great teachers that are reasonable, and understanding and actually become your friends. If you are struggling there are many people you can go to for help. I would HIGHLY recommend taking honors classes; the coursework is the same as the non hrns courses without being AP level and you get better teachers. The coursework was very light compared to my grade school, teachers are understanding and will work with you if you need help, they understand that you have football/robotics/job and will work with you so you can achieve a good grade. Freshmen year is made hardest for a reason, the drop rate is high to get rid of lazy misguided students, I have never seen anyone leave because of excessive course load. There's many many clubs on campus, I would recommend the robotics club for anyone's that's looking to go into engineering , I was president synr yr, we had 30 members had over 20K of sponsorship money, engineering mentors and we traveled out of state to Las Vegas for competition, no cost paid by club members. Students range from the typical rich parented white east-sider driving a new BMW bought and insured by mommy-daddy to the poorest poor smart-driven Mexican American living in the south west valley taking the bus to school! I loved the eclectic mix of people! The buildings are mostly new and extremely well designed, and the old ones are nostalgic and cool. Their rooms are up to date, technology filled and awesome! Being in an all boys school there's no drama which is really nice! You get to focus on hanging out with your friends, school and having a really good time! The all girls' school Xavier is only a block away, it's not hard to hang with girls at all! Parking for students is good, you need to carpool one other person and pay ~$25 for a permit. The atmosphere is really relaxed (chill), teachers are not strict, and some will even let you chill on their own classroom couches during class (paying attention of course). I was the last class year without the 'laptops' so I can't vouch for what it's like to have one, but every student now has a swivel touchscreen laptop which they take notes on, have textbooks on and do their homework with. You can goof around on the laptop during class or take notes; the final decision is up to you and the grade you wish to revive. The bad: The management has replaced the school run 'corral' with the horrid Michaels catering service in the 'new' great hall, which serves much, much more expensive, less tasteful and less filling meals. The cost is excessive, around 11k a yr! But there's plenty of financial aid for the family with limited income, single parents and many other reasons. If your parents can't make tuition payments, the schools has a work study program so you can work for your education, it's not that hard to do. Brophy will not turn down a determined student if their parents cannot pay for it!

Asian 8% N/A
Two or more races 7% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• JSEA
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (602) 234-1669

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Phoenix