No rating

Christ Lutheran School

Private | PK-8 | 560 students

A well rounded program to prepare our students for any high school option.

Living in Phoenix

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $189,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $680.

Posted November 6, 2014

The church and school are so united. You will see pastors and church staff joining the school staff to greet students and families each day. They have fun here, but they work hard, too. My children learned to work hard, study hard, serve others, care about their friends, and their faith was strengthened by the terrific role models--both adults and fellow students!

Posted November 6, 2014

This school prepares the students both intellectually and spiritually. All three of my children went to school at CLS and formed long term friendships, deepened their faith and excelled at academics. They were well prepared for Brophy and now as they look at colleges I know that foundation from CLS will serve them well. I can't say enough good things about CLS. It was a true blessing for our family.

Posted November 6, 2014

CLS is excellent. High academic standards and expectations for students, offers differentiation for individual learners, teachers loved and nurtured my 3 children.

Posted November 6, 2014

I have always felt that my children were cared for and taught good morals and values. The teachers are dedicated to doing their best, and providing support to their students. They are truly loved, and given attention they need with small class sizes.

Posted November 6, 2014

Administration appears to be good at organizing people to post favorable online reviews but in real life is mostly unresponsive to if not mocking/dismissive of parent concerns. Other problems include: Surprising amount of bullying by both students and teachers, considering this is a Christian school Children who worship at other churches are not eligible for NJHS membership Hours of homework each night, mostly worksheets High rate of teacher turnover and many inexperienced teachers on staff. Low rates of acceptance to private high schools. I believe that there are kind teachers here who try hard to do a good job, unfortunately they do not outweigh the disadvantages above.

Posted November 2, 2014

We have three children at Christ Lutheran and could not be happier. Each have different academic capabilities and CLS has met each of them where they are and offered extra programming to help one of our kids. The have three new classroom buildings and a deep commitment not just to academics, but in teaching kids the values they need to be great members of their community. I completely disagree with some of the negative reviews below. My experience has been the exact opposite.

Posted November 2, 2014

Christ Lutheran School as been amazing for all three of my children. The dedication of the teachers and administration is superior. One of the best decisions I have made for my family!

Posted October 29, 2014

We couldn't be happier at Christ Lutheran. I have 2 children who have graduated from there and gone onto to be successful in high school and college, while our final child is getting ready to graduate. I'm so sad to see our time there end. The teachers and staff are loving, especially in the junior high. I feel like they've prepared my kids for not only academics but for how to be loving and caring young adults. I also appreciate the church staff who are active in the classrooms as well. If I had to do it all again, I would make the same decision.

Posted October 21, 2014

Two third grade classes with 25/26 students per class, no teachers' aides & one of the teachers is relatively inexperienced w/ little or no resources to back her up. A common complaint amongst third grade parents (& parents here do talk w/ one another) is the teachers are non responsive to attempts at communication or to clarify assignments & they fail to effectively implement their child's educational plan or to coordinate the limited resources that are available. Often times the right hand knows not what the left hand is doing. And, if your child needs a little extra help, forget about it - CLS simply does not have the resources & seems to be only interested in building more buildings rather than effectively teaching or meeting their staffing & resource needs. In sum, the administration will greet you at the door with a smile on their face, but after that your child is on his or her own. Indeed, God's fallen sparrows have no place at Christ Lutheran.

Posted September 22, 2014

Christ Lutheran School is a joke. Save your money and send them to a public school. If you were looking for religion, take them to church, or find another school. The math teachers give your student a false sense of security by not teaching them the basics of math. Plan on getting a math tutor in high school if you attend CLS. Ask them how many students failed the math portion of the Brophy/Xavier entrance exam? This was after taking the expensive after school class they offered. The ones that passed took a different class outside of CLS. CLS had a record number of student applications rejected from Brophy and Xavier. So much for paying all those years for a phony private education! They also allow kids to bully and tell the victims to ignore it and advise them to "Thicken their skin." Plus, all the staff is related to each other, I've never seen anything like it! They all stand together and the students are the ones to suffer. If you have a lot of money to contribute to they school, or if you are related, you may be okay, because they play favorites that way! We pulled him out at the end of the year with no regrets after paying for years at CLS. Save your time and money, don't go!

Posted July 25, 2014

Our experience was horrible! If you start in earlier grades and grow up with the students, it's amazing! If you are a new student, it's really hard and nobody mentions that! Friends are already in clicks & it's tough to make new friends from our experience in 7-8th grade. Lots of bullying at this school!

Posted November 28, 2013

Our children have all graduated from Christ Lutheran and my husband and I look back on our decision to send them there and think it was one of the best decisions we ever made. Our children were love, supported, and educated by people who believe in the value of an excellent education, but were more importantly, positive Christian role models. As our children move into young adulthood, they cite their years at CLS as part of their strong foundation in their love of learning and their faith development.

Posted November 16, 2013

- Video language and Art teacher - Bullying - In Junior High students receive an automatic F for late assignments - High tuition, but always raising money for new buildings -As far as field trips, students ate sizzler, shared a bed with someone the didn't know in an old motel - Teachers fail to provide a real learning experience, they just hand out stacks of papers for students to complete -No gifted program No, I would not reccomend this school

Posted October 18, 2013

Our family was looking for a learning environment with strong academics and positive atmosphere for our children to learn and grow into well-balanced people. CLS has exceeded every expectation. Our children are excited and love to go to school. There is enough guidance to keep the children challenged while increasing their responsibilities as students that are age-appropriate. The parochial atmosphere has been a blessing in guiding our children through social and moral situations in a positive and hopeful way. Our children are allowed to succeed or fail and try again. The resources available allow children to face academic or physical challenges as "speed bumps" in life to be addressed and not ignored. Many social and volunteer events create an interactive and supportive community for children and parents.

Posted October 18, 2013

CLS has been an outstanding choice for our daughter. She began in the 3rd grade and is mid year in 6th grade. We moved from a beloved public school due to overcrowding and saw the difference immediately with the successful combination of an intimate classroom settings, smaller teacher student ratios but also the true value of enriched course offerings, Rosetta Stone for foreign language, various parent-student activities and a responsive, attentive staff and faculty. This last feature - responsive staff stands out now most in my mind as a key factor in any school decision. We love CLS and have referred several others to our treasured find.

Posted October 18, 2013

Christ Lutheran School is exactly where my child should be. Thanks to the teachers and staff, my child is confident in the knowledge that Jesus Christ is her savior and loves her dearly. Moreover, she knows that she is accepted unconditionally by her teachers and that they love her almost as much as her own parents love her! With that kind of security, it is easy for her to thrive in academics, relationships and other activities. Christ Lutheran School is an exemplary school and one that I will be forever grateful for because of the positive impact in my child's life.

Posted October 17, 2013

CLS is a school that combines a rigorous scholastic curriculum, wonderful mix of non-core classes, warm/caring teachers and staff, and high-class facilities and ambiance. As I walk around this campus, all I can think is, "if I were between kindergarten and 8th grade, this is the kind of school I would want to be a part of." We feel blessed to be able to send our children here.

Posted October 17, 2013

As an alumni from 2001, CLS has been a fond memory of my childhood. I formed strong friendships, benefited from the nurturturing environment, and count my former teachers as role models in my life. As I have gone on to become a teacher myself, I use my experiences as a guideline for how to care for young minds and develop the mindful leaders of our future. My greatest joy has been the opportunity to return to the school and join their elite staff as a 6th grade teacher, with my mentors serving and teaching alongside me!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 14, 2013

Although the education was pretty good, with a nice gifted program and good Christian classes, our experiences at cls were not good at all. My child was a target to bullying because they were on a scholarship at the school and not as wealthy as the other kids. The faculty took no action to this despite my many reports. It felt like even the teachers and staff were bullying her! I was once called in for something during work that my daughter was said to have done, and when I got to the office, there were four sets of parents completely uninvolved in the incident there all against me. I felt so attacked! It got so horrible that we had to change schools. We ended up switching to another school mid-year and I can say that she made so many friends and got just as good of an education that she did at cls, and for free.

Posted February 20, 2013

I'm a certified teacher, I worked in the public schools for many years. I sent my children to Christ Lutheran School. If you want to be comfortable and confident that your child is receiving the best education possible, this is may be the school for you. The administrators and teachers are dedicated and gifted. The school is blessed to be supported as a ministry of Christ Lutheran Church. Thank you Christ Lutheran School for all you have done for my family!!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff German
Hebrew
Spanish
Thai
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • National Exemplary School (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Acceleration
Clubs
  • National Honor Society

School start time
  • 8:20 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Cheryl Ehlers
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Lutheran Church (Missouri Synod)
Associations
  • NAEYC
Fax number
  • (602) 955-3191

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
  • Service learning
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Special education coordinator
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Poetry
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor