No rating

Northwest Christian School

Private | PK-12 | 1299 students

Living in Phoenix

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $81,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $800.

Posted June 18, 2013

In 2011, after exclusively homeschooling for 10 years, I put all five of my daughters at NCS. For the 2013-2014 school year I will have two juniors, one 7th grader, one 2nd grader, and one preschooler. We have experienced Mom's Day Out (birth to age 3+), elementary school, middle school and high school at Northwest Christian. What I have found is a sensitive, attentive, loving group of administrators, principals, staff and teachers and a student body that is welcoming and cares about new incoming students (you should see all of the new student activities in the summer and then there is high school camp - amazing). My five girls all have multiple good close friends and are involved in the school like crazy. The staff loves the kids and the academics are amazing. Chapel service each Wednesday is so important as their faith is fed whrough worship. Something's not right. We're having trouble contacting our servers. We're going to keep trying.

Posted March 15, 2013

My family is at NCS now, we have three high schoolers, and honestly, I cannot imagine them anywhere else! At critical ages, fifth and eighth grade, we were blessed to have found this school. From an elementary teacher helping us identify learning disabilities, to a principal referring us to a private therapist, to high school math, chemistry, english and Senior bible teachers who are instilling passions in addition to knowledge in our child are irreplaceable! Hands down, NCS doesn't compare! Are there cliques? Yes, are there teachers who don't call my child their favorite? Yes, but show me a school where you won't find these things? Is there a strong sports focus here, Yes. And there are staff members who aren't sports focused, who will sponsor a new club like photography. In reality, the staff are real people with real talent, passion, and love for kids and Christ at NCS, they're also human, they will make mistakes and sin. Nowhere else would my husband and I allow our kids to walk out their high school years, what an incredible God-send NCS has been!

Posted February 26, 2013

We came from a Catholic School, to high school at Northwest Christian. I've watched teammates run back and run with the slower runners, encouraging them across the finish line & athletes hand out notes of encouragement to teammates. One family had a party for the whole frosh class so everyone could meet each other. Another family sent invitations to the whole high school for a birthday party. The students and teachers do try hard to be good Christians. While sitting on campus on a warm day I've had the superintendent offer to get me a bottle of water - I felt like I was a guest in his home. I have always been treated warmly by all staff and students. My children knew no one when they came to NCS & now feel blessed to be there. Their PSATs were above average so I feel good about the education. There are several extraordinary teachers (a shout out to MJ, Mr. Southall and Mr. Frigaard). I would recommend NCS to anyone who wants a good solid Christian education.

Posted February 25, 2013

My kids have been at NCS for four years - they are now in PreK and 2nd grade. There are positives and negatives to any school. Don't expect to come to NCS and have your child be insulated from cliques and the normal ins-and-outs of growing up. What I see is a genuine desire for the teachers to get the kids engaged in learning and to incorporate both their academic learning with their spiritual growth. My kids are both doing well, enjoying their teachers and friends and learning how to navigate their worlds in a great environment.

Posted November 17, 2012

School has exceeded our expectations for spiritual growth, athletics, arts and academics. Best education possible in AZ for the money. Negative reviews are normally from families that weren't a good fit to begin and had academic and discipline concerns. Strong sense of community and teachers and leadership are rock solid. Very happy all around and I'm a picky former home school mom.

Posted November 17, 2012

My kids have attended NCS since 2003. I absolutely love this school for the teachers, the academics, & the spiritual guidance my kids experience. Yes, there are issues that come up that we have had to deal with, but not anything differently than I believe my kids would experience at ANY other school. The difference I believe comes from the leadership who have a heart for Christ & a heart to make a difference in children's lives when it comes to their spiritual walk. I wholly recommend NCS!

Posted August 6, 2012

Well after reading the past reviews I feel it is my responsibility to write my own. After 11 years and 3 children ranging from 3rd to 9th grades at NCS we will be leaving this year. ( I type with tears in my eyes) Our reasons for leaving are completely financial! The past 2 years have been extremely difficult and we can no longer continue. However I would like to share our experience. While this school is not perfect I would like you to show me a school that is! We have had our problems with the social ladder. Yes there are cliques and snobby kids but do you think this will not be the case in a public school? The teachers at NSC love the kids and love the lord! NCS offers good academics with a strong emphasis on Christian values. Your kids will leave this school with a great education and a strong belief in the lord, what else could you ask for? Yes, there might be bumps along the road but I am 100% confident in saying this school is the best option.any child, even the "unpopular" one would be lucky to receiver their education here. Not being able to continue at NCS is heart breaking for my family. I am so thankful for the years we had there and deeply sadden it is over!

Posted May 24, 2012

My daughter has attended Northwest Christian School for 3 years. We have been beyond blessed by the excellent teachers, the strong academics and the vision of the leadership there. We are moving to be closer to the school. We are so grateful for NCS.

Posted April 29, 2012

My child has had a lot of issues this year. The school lacks warmth and compassion. If you love gossip and cliques this is a great school for you. We will be looking else where!

Posted February 29, 2012

Ok, so we attended Freshman night last night and were blown away. We are lifers at NCS but it was our first chance to visit with high schools teachers. Wow! After a wonderful experience in elementary and middle school for my daughter, my husband and I didn't think it could get better. Well, apparently we were wrong! These teachers love Jesus and it is clear that they love their jobs, their school, and their students. I AM SO THANKFUL. The teachers imfluence in the life of my daughter has been amazing and I can't say enough. It's been challengeing to sacrrifice financially but SO WORTH IT. Also, I appreciate Micehlle Reddy on the leadership team for working with us to understand tax credits , financial aid programs, etc. She's very, very supporting and encouraging. She's helped us to understand that we can afford private, Christian education. And, there really isn't a better value for eudcation in the vally in terms of finance and opportunityies.

Posted February 22, 2012

For my family, what identified NCS as our top choice in educating our child was spiritual climate. All other factors--rigorous academics, outstanding athletics (Inness and James, what a duo!), and arts--are definitely strong but at the end of the day, it's spiritual tone set by leadership and teachers that sets this school apart. Service opportunities, discipleship, 'real' Bible classes, chapels, etc. are things that are impacting my son the most. I mean we're seeing real spiritual growth and development of compassionate character that we link back directly to the investment being made in him by our teachers. In the final anaylysis, is there anything else that really matters? Thank you, NCS!

Posted February 21, 2012

What I love best about NCS is the fact that there are so many opportunities. Whether your child loves academics, arts, or athletics, I've found all three here...with strong spiritual foundations! Two kids--one loves athletics, the other arts...and both have found a home. My husband and I are happy because of the strong academic rigor and spiritual emphasis. Plus, top notch educators who love the Lord! In short, NCS equals opportuntiy and community.

Posted September 9, 2011

Ok, I have read all these posts from the parents point of view but come on lets see some students perspectives! Im a sophomore attending NCS, and the first thing that i noticed was that everyone knew everyone. I mean you would look at a nerdy kid and think, "oh ok hes not very popular", but everyone is excepted. Now the teachers where very helpful. I admit not all teachers can be like MJ aka "Mister johnson" who is one of the most engaging teachers i have ever met in my entire school career. Also the schools Counselor Mrs.Kurns was a total DELIGHT! She helped me pick out classes, and provided me with roads that i didn't think i could take. I have been to prep schools to charter school and guess what. This school by far has been the most welcoming, and most educating school out of all them. I would recommend this from a students point of view not a parent. I don't see any parents attending school so why should they judge so harshly?

Posted September 9, 2011

The parents that are posting negative comments, just STOP! I have been sending my kids to this school since 3rd grade and they love it. My child in high school comes home telling me how he prayed before every class, and how the people actually cared. All the teachers at the school talk confidently and strongly against atheism and love to talk about Christianity. I was very amazed to see how go was so prevalent in this school. Also come on, your telling me that those reviews below are even real??

Posted April 4, 2011

I have been a parent at NCS since 2000. Changes that have been made have been questionable in the 2010/11 school year. Teacher are mostly great, but disheartened with what is going on. Christ does not seem to be first here.

Posted March 18, 2011

The school seems to have taken a turn for the worse in the past several years. My children have attened NCS since 2002. I initially was drawn to the school due to its Christian perspective on education and the idea that this perspective was reflected through the teachers and administration. However, the NCS staff as a whole lacks warmth, compassion, and other elements that should portray Christianity. A lot of gossip and cliques exist on campus. Apart from the school name, one would never associate this school with being Christian.

Posted December 20, 2010

I am very dissapointed with the middle school 6th-8th grade. Starting from the top the Superintendent, Principle, and many of the middle school faculty are not the solid foundation needed before the crucial steps before high school. You are better off home schooling or sending you children elswhere.

Posted December 14, 2010

NCS is a good school from K-5, Middle school / Jr High is very poor. They teachers at the lower grade do a great job, however, above 5th grade you see a rapid decline. The admin is rediculous in their ways and they always say they "pray about it". Yea right... This school is a joke and as many other people have said (especially the students) there are many FAKE people here with their own agendas. Go ahead and send your kids here up to 5th grade and then ship them over to Scottsdale Christian or any other school after that.

Posted November 5, 2010

The teachers, at least the one my son has doesn't seem to care very much about the students. She is too busy with other things to concentrate on teaching. My son is another number here and tuition check. We pay too much money to NCS for an average education and an apathetic teacher. We might move him to another school.

Posted April 14, 2010

My children have gone here since preschool and we LOVE IT. The teachers really care about the students and their families.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Matt Davidson
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Video / Film production

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom