Phoenix, AZ
Before care: Yes

Posted November 27, 2014
Awakening Seed fosters an awareness level in children that is rare in many other schools. The level of respect for children is unequivocally clear upon observing the school's activities. Teachers place importance on the a child's unique interests and allow each child to grow their talents.

Posted September 21, 2014
As director and co-founder of Awakening Seed, I d like to respond to the previous review. As with any organization, the Seed constantly changes as we strive to improve the quality of service to our families. Change happens organically and gradually. Rarely has it been extreme in the 38 years we ve existed. While many of our lead teachers are Arizona certified, we ve almost always had at least one who is not. One of our most talented teachers for over 25 years was not certified. Certainly credentials are important, and so are qualities that make a teacher a natural. On occasion, an individual will arrive whose natural teaching talents are exceptional. We work as a staff to help that person translate their talents into quality teaching practices. We invite feedback and dialogue with parents to ensure that each child has a successful school experience. Integrity is at the heart of our practice at Awakening Seed at all levels. We love to have visitors and I invite you to come see for yourself what a quality, child-centered program the Seed is. You will not see children in buckle chairs.

Awakening Seed School 2

Posted May 31, 2014
Awakening Seed School was one of the most amazing educational environments in Phoenix. The school has made some extreme changes over the past few years and its reputation and professionalism has taken a hit . The staffing changes (main reason for negative review) continue to cause parents to pause and keep looking for a school who's s The teachers are no longer required to have a teaching certificate and voicing your opinion/concerns about your child's education and daily treatment only brought unnecessary gossip and absolutely no support or plan of change in support of concerns. The school's mission is to respect all people from all walks of life but the people representing this mission have only shown my family extreme judgment and disrespect toward families who care about the well-being and education of their preschooler. If you want your child to sit in a buckle chair for over an hour and be taught by uneducated "teachers" this is the place for you!

Posted May 15, 2014
I am both a parent and staff member of Awakening Seed School, and could not be happier to be a part of this wonderful community. My children love being here and have grown and learned so much. The Seed provides a nurturing environment where kids feel safe and happy with an obvious love of learning. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything in the world. My kids are being given the opportunity to learn about clean eating, recycling, gardening, composting, empathy for all living things, as well as emotional, social, and academic progress and growth. We love the Seed!

Posted September 19, 2013
We chose to send our Son to the Seed because of the community values, nurturing support, and academics. We have not been disappointed. Our son has learned confidence, social skills, and we feel supported as parents. We feel our son is getting a unique experience that we, otherwise, would not be able to provide. Yes, it is expensive but the investment in my son has been worth the sacrifices we have had to make.

Posted August 11, 2013
A great nurturing community that fosters creativity and strives to develop each child to their fullest potential. They promote responsibility with compassion and don't allow junk food in lunches or snakes. They care about our kids inside and out. Yea!

Posted June 12, 2013
I was a preschool teacher at Awakening Seed for 25 years. The director, Mary Glover, promotes a sense of community among students and staff alike. This sense of community can be readily seen in each classroom. As children form bonds of friendship with each other they are also encouraged to include children who are new, or less gregarious socially, in their play. The curriculum is child-centered, and students frequently decide for themselves what their main unit of study will be. Other aspects of the curriculum (math, science, literature, writing...) are based as much as possible on the general study unit. Awakening Seed students tend to assume a sense of ownership and responsibility for their school. In many cases I have seen this sense of ownership extend into adulthood. Former students often return to the school to reconnect with their former teachers. A sentiment I have frequently heard from both former students and their parents who return for visits is that their favorite school years were those spent at Awakening Seed. A more nurturing environment would be hard to find.

Posted May 23, 2013
My three children attended Awakening Seed School from pre-school until they "aged out". The faculty and staff treated our whole family with kindness and respect. The children got a solid educational foundation from teachers who encouraged their creativity and curiousity. Every classroom has its own outdoor/garden area, and there is a big grassy yard with plenty of room for everybody to run and play. The Seed is more than a school -- it is a wonderful community

Posted May 01, 2013
Our son attended the Seed for several years when he was age one through age four. It is a magical, lovely, loving place. Mary Glover's energy, intention, and vision have created a a fabulous little laboratory for discovery and growth. My son loved it. I felt very safe there. On every level they are thorough and by the book: illness policy, check-in/out, behavioral issues that may arise with young children. They handled all of the issues with loving structure and kindness. The only reason we left is because it was truly far from our home and we were willing to drive until life got busy again, otherwise we would have stayed. The child-centered curriculum really honors the creativity and spirit of childhood. Carrie B.

Awakening Seed School 4

Posted April 30, 2013
This rating covers my family's experience with the Awakening Seed School from PreK through Kindergarten. In my experience, the Awakening Seed School successfully strives to provide a safe, loving environment for children to learn. When my child started the PreK program, he was not the only one to be educated. I was amazed that the teachers and other staff (literally everyone at the school) cared about my child and my family. The school provides Love & Logic training which positively changed my relationship with my child. I will be forever grateful to the school for educating and caring (truly caring) for my child. Because the school is small, individual attention is possible, and it IS given. I was amazed at the curriculum that my child was exposed to even in PreK.

Awakening Seed School