North Pointe Preparatory

Charter | 7-12

Posted March 17, 2012

I am a Junior going to be a Senior. I have been in this district since 6th grade. Half of these Reviews that are bad are a joke. i personally LOVE this school. They give you a great curriculum, and truelly care about your opinion. They listen to your problems and try there best to help each student with them. Your class choices are taken into consideration, and you get a personal meeting to discuss your plans. The teachers are excellent and are picked out my the amazing Mr. Gow (principal) himself. If any problems, he takes the students and parents input on that teacher as well as grades and his personally known facts on how they maintain a classroom. I would recommend anyone go here for their excellence in balance of the 4 A's (Arts, athletics, academics, and activities). Not everyone will be satisfied with this school, simply because they do push you and they also include fun. However, you can always find a good friend here, for ANYONE, and you have a good opportunity to find new ones within every activity. Please choose North Pointe:) It is absolutely fantastic!!

Posted March 8, 2012

My daughter has been attending North Pointe Prep since the 7th grade. She is currently a Sophmore and has grown exponentially over the last 4 years thanks to Mr. Gow (the Principal) and his team of talented staff and faculty. I give props to a Charter School that delivers on the same level as a private school.

Posted February 9, 2012

I personally like that this administration doesn t take bullying from anybody . My ex-wife tried to talk the principal out of suspending my son, but it didnt work and I am glad. He needed to learn a lesson (good kid did something dumb doubt it will happen again.) When the principal called me he was to the point and professional. Solid academics. No game playing or favorites. Basketball team just made the playoffs. They aren t always asking for money and dont make my son sell stuff for fundraisers. Good School.

Posted February 3, 2012

As long as you do not have an issue that needs attention from the office staff and/or principle, this is a good school. Teachers really care about getting the best out of their students and, for the most part, there is very little bullying that goes on. But do not be fooled, there is bullying that goes on from both the girls and boys. The principle rules the school as a dictator, not as an administrator; It is his way or the highway. And if you try to talk to him about an issue he will get annoyed and passive/aggressive. If you try to continue the issue he will just threaten to have you barred from school grounds and hang up. Then, when you try to go to his boss, the school superintendent, you will find out that she is just a figurehead and the principle will respond to you in his capacity as assistant superintendent and tell you to go away. The school's high grade standards are because they are very selective as to which kids get to attend. And if your child's grades starts to slip, they will attempt to make them leave. Just be aware of the principle's dictatorial tendencies and any lack of district over-site.

Posted December 27, 2011

My child has attended this school for the last two years and the teachers are great but the administration is horrible as well as the athletic coaching. They talk to the kids in a manner that is not appropriate and getting anything resolved is almost impossible. The education is good but the administration is no good.

Posted September 12, 2011

Recent reports show that NPP has a very successful advanced placement program. Students not only test well, they also do very well in the advanced placement classes. NPP is concerned with the whole student (academics, athletics and the arts). My child has been with Pointe Education since 6th grade at Canyon Pointe and is now a freshman at NPP. Many of her friends have transferred to this school and their parents are thrilled with the result. Yes- the administration can get petty, but that happens at all schools. North Pointe is the best education for my daughter, with or without tuition.

Posted August 2, 2011

I think it is important that this school has less than 1% free/reduced lunch and a population of more than 75% white students. And, few special education students. Traditional, public schools in the area have a higher number of minority students, English Language Learners, students of lower income, and a special education population. I withdrew my niece when I finally realized the lack of diversity at this school and the fact that their competition in the public schools is rated the same or one point lower. With the lack of all of the extra challenges traditional public schools face, North Pointe's rating should be much higher than its competitors. As long as people keep pulling their kids out of traditional public schools when things don't go their way, kids aren't going to learn all of their lessons in the real world. And, our neighborhood public schools (the hearts of our neighborhoods) will not get better. If you don't like something, don't run away from it. Exercise your democratic right and duty to help fix it and protect it.

Posted March 11, 2011

This is not just a good school, but a fabulous one. My daughter has attended North Point since 8th grade and is now a junior. Every second at this school has been a joy and my daughter has thrived since she got there. After so many years in the public school system where my child was bullied, where teachers lost her work and blamed her, and treated like a criminal for something as simple as forgetting a school id, going North Pointe was like being on another planet. The teachers are among the most dedicated that I have seen anywhere, the kids LOVE going to school, and the administration goes so far above and beyond to make school a fun and exciting experience. When other schools are dropping arts programs left and right North Pointe is adding more. The opportunities to excel academically are there as evidenced by over 1/2 of the entire school either on the honor roll or principals list each semester. On top of all that the kids are taught to be good human beings through community service and mentoring projects. If there is a better school out there I haven't found it. I commend the administration and the teachers for creating a great learning environment. Keep up the good work!!

Posted November 25, 2010

I am now in my fifth year as a teacher at the Prep. I can say without reservation that the school as a whole is amazing and continues to strive to excel on all fronts. I honestly wish I had gone to a school like this back in the day; my high school was good, but the focus that NP has on the EVERY student (and not just the scholar, the athlete, or the artist) is amazing. Our student population is top-notch, and there is not a single colleague I have who is anything less than wholly dedicated to providing students with the best education possible. The students are here because they want to be, and the teachers are here because we have proven to be effective and engaged. Our retention rate is very high, and the diversity of our extracurricular programs is simply unprecedented for a school of our size. No school is perfect, of course, but the staff at NP does our best to make sure that every student who comes through here gets the best education possible. I am proud to be a teacher here and look forward to an amazing future!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 6, 2010

My daughter has been attending NPP for three years now! My other children attended a high school in Deer Valley district. I wish I had found NPP for them. My daughter is able to be involved in band, sports AND student government. She maintains a high GPA and does have homework! She is excelling in math. We love what NPP, its administration and teachers!

Posted May 28, 2010

Just went to graduation and was amazed by the feeling of community and celebration of individual students. So glad we chose NPP for our kids. don't know what some of the other reviewers are talking about regarding a "no homework policy." My kids have homework! However, I appreciate that they aren't given busy work. The handbook spells out the school's philosophy and I, for one, appreciate not having to buy glue sticks and craft supplies for homework "projects." I wouldn't send my kids anywhere else.

Posted April 27, 2010

I love North pPoint, I have two kids there, both have been there since the 7th grade, one a Sophmnore and one a Junior, both are college bound and get straight A's and B's. I don't like that a college prep school does not have home work though, I have attended 6 years of college as a single mother and don't think that no homework is preparing them for college. I love the extra curricular activities, the football and band programs really rock, I love the theatre, the academia. I have heard the kids both complain about the unfairness of which some of the teachers have been treated. I love the friends that the kids hang out with, they have great values and are kids that at 16 and 17, I have never heard a complaint from another adult about either one of them. Both kids love this school.

Posted April 1, 2010

This high school has/had some of the most amazing teachers I've ever met. They genuinely care about each student and will go to great lengths to make sure they succeed. Unfortunately, this school, or more specifically the administration, has chased away most of those teachers. More keep coming, but they won't stay for long. I can't even count how many one year teachers have come through North Pointe. It takes it's toll on students, especially those who are in there later years, since they've had to change teachers to frequently. This is partly due to one of the most frustrating administrations I've ever seen in education. If they don't like it, it goes. They can fire on a whim. On day a teacher will be going about his or her business; the next day they'll be gone because they rubbed the principal the wrong way. There is simply no accountability.

Posted March 31, 2010

I can't accept that the principle has decided that the students don't need to do any homework, this is not good for the students learning wise nor is it teaching them that their not going to go through college without homework. Certainly makes it easy easy for the students so they can play on the computer when they get home though.

Posted February 10, 2010

My daughter has attended North Pointe since 8th grade and is now in 10th. It has been the best school experience of her life and she could not imagine going anywhere else. After so many years in the public school system dealing with bad teachers and and Cholla middle school that treated the kids like they were all criminals, it was great to finally find a place where the teachers care about all of the kids and give them opportunities to excel, encouragement to be their best, and have fun doing it. Their curriculum is based on AP and Honors classes which push the kids to exceed their limits but over half of the student body is either on Honor Roll or Principals List, so they must be doing something right. I highly recommend North Pointe to everyone.

Posted January 12, 2010

I am a student here at North Pointe and it is a great school but they don't really have good career driven classes like most bigger high schools do. North Pointe is a much smaller school but they try their best to try and accomadate and meet most expectations. I love it here and would reccommend this school to anybody.

Posted October 2, 2009

My boys have been going for a few years. we left one year to try another school and we were so disappointed. We came back. Mr. & Mrs. Hutson (band) are great. My oldest is a senior this year and i am confident in what he has learned and know that he will be able to go to college and succeed.

Posted September 30, 2009

This is my first year at North Pointe Prep as a 7th grader and I love it here. I'm glad I 'm going to this school, it seems way better then Cholla Middle School. This is a school I would really say any 7-12th grader should go to.

Posted April 26, 2009

I'm a student at North Pointe Prep and it is the best school i ever been to. We have loads of fun but we work hard. The sports is awesome. The High School Girls Basketball team coached by Coach H. Almost went to state. The High School Cheer Squad got 1st place in West Coast Championships. Really good staff too. I love it here. I have cousins and sisters going to attend next year.

Posted February 19, 2009

I am a Sophomore at North Pointe, and have been going there since the 7th grade. I love it and it has improved every year since I've been there. I get help when I need it, the teaches are awesome and there's not a one that really dislike. I like that we have several directors instead of one principal. They're all friendly and fun and get rid of those trouble makers! Even though I am not in jr. high anymore, it is sad to see that they're area for the website is almost never updated They want pictures too!

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

174 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

174 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 32%N/A47%
Female 52%N/A49%
Male 48%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students College counselor(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• Gym

• Sheri Kisselbach
Fax number
  • (623) 209-0021

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College preparatory
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

• College counselor(s)
  • Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Auditorium

Performing arts
  • Creative writing
  • Drama

School culture

• Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)

Apply now