North Pointe Preparatory

Charter | 7-12

Posted Friday, September 12, 2014

This school claims it is one of the most "acclaimed charter schools in the state". If this is the case, then why is teacher turnover so high? Why are basic supplies, such as textbooks and desks, in such poor shape? Why does the principal of this school also serve as the districts superintendent, making him a dictator that bullies everyone? This school makes many claims, and looks good from the outside, but those who have previously worked there will tell a much different story.

Posted Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Beware of this school and the clever front it puts up...the principal is unprofessional and verbally abusive, and nothing is done against him because he is also the assistant superintendent of the district. If you want a quality education for your children, don't send them here. If you want a professional working environment, don't teach here.

Posted Wednesday, September 10, 2014

North pointe is a bad school,looks good on web ,but the principle is not a good person,he suspends kids just for being kids,wanted to suspend my child just for playing around with another student,for a whole year,if he dosent like you he will harass your child constantly.he does not talk to parents,there's a reason for that,you have no rights or recourse when it comes to him,so please if you care about your child,do not send him or her there,look for post from past students and parents,because it can happen to you .

Posted Wednesday, September 10, 2014

I would encourage all parents and students whom have been bullied by this principal and administration to contact the AZ dept of Education, US. dept of Education. There are laws to protect students and families from Bullying.

Posted January 20, 2014

As a teacher at North Pointe Prep, I can honestly say that I look forward to going to work every day. Our students are the best: hard-working, fun-loving teenagers who love being at school. Our administration backs teachers by swiftly removing any disciplinary problems and providing us with the tools we need to do our jobs. This, in turn, lets us focus on the task at hand: inspiring our students to do great things. It is a joy to work at such a progressive educational institution.

Posted January 16, 2014

As a teacher at North Pointe I have had many positive experiences with fellow staff members, faculty, students, and administration. I am proud to call North Pointe my family. They represent what is good about education. The administration has a vision of excellence that in most schools would be unattainable, but here at The Prep, that is not the case. This vision drives our students and employees to devote themselves to the success of the school, academically, through the arts, in athletics, and the nationally acclaimed activities. The commitment required to be part of this family sets the standards above the competition. The school creates leaders and promotes personal growth in students and employees. It is a great place to call my school and when I talk about it to others I frequently refer to it being THE BEST!

Posted January 15, 2014

North Pointe Preparatory I am a teacher at North Pointe. I have taught at several public schools and wanted to quit every week because the lack of support from administration. This is not the case at North Pointe. I look forward to coming to work and working with the students at NPP. I believe everything our administrators, faculty, and staff does is for the betterment of our students and their education. I have worked at North Pointe Prep for several years. I am proud and happy to be working here. Sincerely, North Pointe Teacher

Posted September 24, 2013

I applaud the administration for sticking to the policies set for the students. I appreciate the zero tolerance enforcement. When my son started there as an incoming 7th grader, we attended an orientation. Parents and student alike were all given the same information....as he addressed the students... "there is no 'warning'... consider THIS your warning". I thought that was an awesome way to demonstrate to the students that life doesn't always give a free pass to breaking the rules. We are all given a student handbook - it's up to each student to abide by the rules and it's up to each parent to support the discipline we agreed to by enrolling our students there. If you can't appreciate what a charter school is trying to do for your student - you can elect to take them to another school. That's the beauty of Charter. Charter schools are schools of CHOICE - make the right choice for your student and you'll have a lot LESS disappointment.

Posted September 24, 2013

We are so thankful that we have choices when it comes to the education of our children. North Pointe has provided them so many opportunities especially in the Arts. When most districts are cutting these programs, NPP continues to enhance and improve them. The school is always innovative in their approach to student involvement. Students are excited to go to school here, they feel so safe, they are full of school spirit and pride, and there is a no nonsense approach to discipline. My kids attended a district middle school before coming here and were bullied because they didn't quite fit the "mold". At this school, kids are accepted for who they are and the school has a ZERO tolerance policy towards bullying and fighting. Academically, there is a wide array of options, especially for a school as small as this one. My kids are engaged in their learning and have excelled beyond their potential. Do they go overboard on school activities? YES, but not to the extreme as some have stated. The school likes to "Prep Up" events and to this mother of 5 that means Going Above and Beyond. Thanks North Pointe for not being an "in the box" type of school and for being Falcon Awesome!

Posted September 21, 2013

Reading some of these reviews, I can't help but laugh a little. I went to North Pointe & graduated from there; I couldn't have had a better HS experience anywhere else. I see a couple of parents trying to label the school as a "party" school, that is not the case. I never once went to a party while I attended there, or heard of parties going on all the time. I participated in sports & theatre. There is honestly something to for everyone! I loved how the school inspires you to get involved, even if it's not with a sport or an art, there tons of other activities. I didn't live in a good neighborhood growing up, my feeder HS was Alhambra. I did NOT want to go there. I was thankful that North Pointe did not have district boundaries & did not have tuition fees, making it possible for me to attend. When reading comments keep in mind who typically are the people to take the time to write reviews. It's usually the people who had a negative experience & wish to "scare" others away because their student was disciplined, trying to get back at the school. The parents who love the school aren't the people going online checking for reviews. They are busy checking their student's grades online.

Posted September 19, 2013

My granddaughter goes to North Pointe and I could not be more proud of the principal and teachers there. To have a principal connect with his students in this manner is outstanding. I would like everyone out there to remember " What they see is in the eye of the beholder". If they see dirt, that is what's there, but if they see humor, that is awesome!

Posted August 7, 2013

I have read many of the reviews and I have to say I am proud of those who have taken the time to be honest about the school and its issues. It is true, if you are looking for a place that prepares your students for partying- this is the place. As far as academics, the teachers are wonderful but the policies of the school make it hard for teachers to keep high expectations. I agree with other reviews, students need to know how to be organized and complete homework in multiple classes in order to be properly prepared for college. My son really wanted to stay with his friends and attend NP, but as a parent I could not allow him to make that call. I want my student to have structure, meaningful homework, a supportive/positive Principal, and those things are not available at NP. The classrooms are worn down to say the least, classes tend to be overcrowded, textbooks are in terrible shape, and the school's focus seems to be spending money everything but academics. I have heard many students complain about the teacher turnover due to being mistreated by the Principal. If you value education and hope to be involved in your child's education this is not the place for you.

Posted March 21, 2013

My children attended North Pointe & Point schools for 5+ years and I have watched what were once good schools deteriorate as the current administration took over and made "changes". Wonderful tenured teachers were let go and replaced by inexperienced, academics and actually preparing students for college are seemingly not a priority, and parental involvement or input are not welcomed whatsoever. Even when "issues" arise the staff will not go one ounce out of their way to actually help you or resolve the issue but do their best to brush you off or get you to go away. Expect at best a curt email for a reply with nothing but "their way"/ policies. One of my 2 kids moved to a public school (not for disciplinary reasons) and it has been both an academic and extracurricular improvement.

Posted March 7, 2013

As my son approaches the end of his senior year I find myself reflecting on the past and the memories he has made. We are a long time Pointe School family. He came to the Prep from one of their sister elementary schools. When we joined Pointe schools the then dean sold me on a vision of a school where students not only got a top quaility college prep education but were exposed to a large varity of experiances and give mulitipule oppertunities to excel. As I look back I have to agree that this is exactly what Pointe schools provided. My son has been accepted to every college he has applied too. Giving him his choice of educational oppertunities. He has been involved in so many afterschool activities that I could not list them all. The sheer number of activities has helped to keep him from falling into the unhealthy activities that so many teen struggle with. The prep simply keeps its students so busy having good clean fun that they don't have too look for other ways to have fun. No school is perfect and the prep has room to grow but overall the positive has far, far out weighed any negative.

Posted February 26, 2013

I am a student at NPP, and honestly the people who dislike it are the ones with the rude and disrespectful kids. If you yell at the principal, because your kid did not follow rules, than of course he's not gonna take it. That's life, and that's how it is at a job too, you don't just yell at your boss. The principal is not rude or "scary", he's just professional. All students here are treated with respect and are held high. We do not allow bullying what-so-ever, and we get very good grades. I have always struggled with courses, but ever since i came to NPP, i became an A student. Most students here have good grades also. The teachers are amazing. Staff is amazing. Who doesn't love rewards for having good grades? Activities give us school spirit and also a break from being in class...Rock Lobster is a reward for AIMS. There are a lot of people waiting to get in this school, and we have no room for uptight parents who complain about how awesome this school is.

Posted February 25, 2013

After reading reviews carefully and going to the school to have a tour with the principal, we decided to give North Point a try. It seemed good and that the administration had the kids best interest at heart. Afterall just look at the test scores. It didn't take long to realize it was all a well orchestrated ruse. I have never met a more unreachable administration that is uninterested in parental concerns. Look at the reviews on this site, administrative avoidance and lack of compassion is a large part of the complaints. The principal can ONLY be reched via email and typically responds in a highly "Reactive not Proactive" manner. They take an extreme "Our way or the Highway" approach to parental concerns. I have even witnessed the police called on an upset but rational parent by the principal who not once asked "What is wrong or how can I help". If you are looking for a school that is, Good on the surface" this is the place. The school is ran like a business and children are treated like inventory. I would liken the administrations availability and indifferent approach to education to a foreign call center. If you truly care about eduction....this isn't the place for your child.

Posted December 19, 2012

After an extensive search for a decent Junior/High School High that is not filled with drugs and gang members. I picked NPP because of the ratings it received from independant websites for the amazing AIMS test scores and for the ratings parents and students gave it. I made serveral visits to the school with my son before making the decision to enroll him. He loves NPP and is a straight A student. He achieves "excellent" on his AIMS test scores, but most importantly, he is happy going to school there. I wish there was a school like NPP when I was attending Junior/High School. I couldn't be more thrilled with the teachers and I am happy that Mr. Gow is strict. The kids don't want to visit him and that is the way it should be. Zero tolerance for bullying and for drugs!

Posted August 13, 2012

I find it absolutely ridiculous that there are people out there only focusing on one week out of the entire school year to base their opinion of NPP. My kids have been in the Pointe Schools system since elementary school and we have watched numerous people leave, only to return a few years later. There is no perfect school out there, you need to find what works for you and your family. Even though we sometimes disagree with some things, as far as we are concerned, NPP has served our children well. This is a relatively small school environment where the administration and teachers know the kids if not by name, at least by face, and that is one of our biggest reasons for putting our kids here, next to the excellent education. Of course, our kids love it for the over-the-top events that the school puts on throughout the year too. Thanks NPP for making all of us happy!

Posted July 26, 2012

I have been attending North Pointe for five years now, and so if you are a prospective student reading this review, I would take student reviews into more consideration than the parent ones. Not to say the parent reviews are not important, but many of the unfavorable parent reviews are directed towards the administration instead of the entire schooling experience. Now, our principal is, well, dictator-esque. He isn't warm, he isn't friendly, and he definitely is not personable. However, boy does he know how to run a school! My education has sky rocketed at North Pointe, and I am adequately prepared for college because of it. I have taken extremely rigorous courses and have still been able to participate in band, NHS, athletics, and activities outside of school as well. As for Rock Lobster-- yes, of course it's unprofessional! We are still kids, remember. Do I need to remind you of the partying that happens in college? This is good, clean fun, so let us have it! (Also, there is no "no homework policy" for AP courses. For other courses, the "no homework policy" means that students get a little time to finish their "homework" in class, deeming it "classwork" instead of "homework".)

Posted May 1, 2012

What's wrong with "Rock Lobster"? Yes, they have a wet t-shirt contest. Classes soak each other and then wring out the t-shirts to fill buckets of water. It's a great way to blow off the stress of the previous testing week. Rock Lobster is after AIMS and the other required testing. Yes, they wear swim suits. Guess what these kids are not extremely self conscience about their bodies. They are smart, know how to study and have fun. If you want your child/teen to act "professional" then this is not the school for you. As for the parent who thinks this is "not appropriate", it's not appropriate for YOU. The whole point of charter schools is choice! I wonder how often the professional students ditch class. My kid is there every day and getting college credit for classes.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

174 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

174 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 32%N/A47%
Female 52%N/A49%
Male 48%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students College counselor(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• Gym

• Sheri Kisselbach
Fax number
  • (623) 209-0021

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College preparatory
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

• College counselor(s)
  • Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Auditorium

Performing arts
  • Creative writing
  • Drama

School culture

• Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)

Apply now