Imagine Bell Canyon

Charter | PK-8 | 455 students

We are best known for small class sizes.

Living in Phoenix

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $81,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $800.

Posted April 1, 2014

Imagine Bell Canyon has many wonderful things to offer. First and foremost students are treated as individuals and people rather than a number. Every time I walk in the door I am greeted warmly. It makes me feel good to send my child to school knowing he is cared for as I would care for him. Secondly, their focus on character education is teaching my son about the importance of being responsible, respectful, and honest. Lastly, the school is data driven. They know my child's strengths and weaknesses and are supporting him in his academics. The APTT nights allow me to see how my child is performing compared to his peers and provides me strategies to work with him at home. I love this school and highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a rigorous academic program and a home away from home.

Posted March 31, 2014

As a working parent I looked and looked for a school that would not only fit our schedule but also my daughter's academic needs. My daughter is very smart and needs to be challenged or she gets bored and gives up. The accelerated program not only makes it challenging for the whole class but also for my daughter's individual needs. My daughter loves her teachers and we love the school schedule. I have also noticed a lot of negative comments about the administration. Yes they have had a few hiccups but have always been open and honest with parents and even if it inconveniences a few people they keep the kids safe. If you want your child going to a school like Columbine then go ahead. I prefer to be slightly inconvenienced and have my daughter safe.

Posted March 25, 2014

Like any school, it has had its good times and its rough times. That being said, I am very happy to send my child here everyday. It makes me happy to see my son come home in a good mood and wanting to tell me about his day. The office staff has never let me down and I never seem to have an issue getting in touch with the teacher. I look forward to sending my son back here next year!

Posted February 3, 2014

This is my child's fourth year at this school and we couldn't be happier with her progress. Compared to the nearest traditional school where an older sister went, this child is much farther along in all subjects. There was also a change of the teacher in this child's class midway through the year but as far as we can tell so far the change went smoothly. My child is excited to go to school everyday and is scoring high on national tests. As with any school you should visit it for yourself and then decide if it is the right school for you and your child.

Posted January 17, 2014

very bad school, not only because they switch teachers in the middle school constantly but because they don't focus on students as much as they should. If something happens Middle school is the first one to get blamed for it; and talking about middle school it's the least focused on group in the entire school...this year 3 teachers have quit in the middle school and they're all in different subjects, and they're still trying to Replace a very good teacher that left in social studies . The science teacher Is very good although, she doesn't know how to handle some of the kids attitudes she's a very good teacher, the middle school should honestly be shut down no need for it anymore, none of the kids are learning anything.. and it's not only this year, Last year also...around 6 math teachers for middle school fired and one science teacher left. This school should stay focusing on younger grades since that's what it does already...and they're not good at that either...

Posted January 13, 2014

Mock Society=Micro Society sounded like a good idea, but problems occur when mixing older kids with the younger ones. Curriculum at times is confusing. Math is not given enough attention at this school. My child attended a full year in 1st grade, 1 Semester in 2nd grade and at assessment in September, 64 Percent of the entire class scored 23 percent correct on the Addition Assessment Test. Clearly something is not working here.

Posted January 13, 2014

This school is terrible! In 5 yrs, we have had a combined total of 10 teachers quit for "personal" reasons. Out of the 10.. 4 of them were abrupt (mid day, month, year, we've experienced all). Then there has been 3 principal rotations, and a steady rotating door of friendships made and lost due to this ratio of staff turnover. The administration is even worse!!! They ignore court orders, doctors orders, state rules and regulations, and quite frankly care more about their "numbers" or quota so to speak than the children they are allegedly educating. These kids have it hard enough trying to keep up with a rigorous schedule, let alone switching teachers mid circle, changing schedules due to teacher changes, and trying to keep their grades up when nobody can really give a valid response as to what exactly they are supposed to be studying! Top that with the wonderful substitute who for nearly 2 weeks now, feels the best way to teach our kids is through crossword puzzles and word searches... All day without any actual subjects being studied. Do not send your kids here.. Period. Any parent who believes otherwise, has not been there through all of this great change like we have.

Posted January 13, 2014

Kids don't go to school to play in a make believe society they go there to learn. Parents who rave about how "cool" micro is, why don't you just stick your kid on the corner with a sign that says "hungry will work for food" because they aren't learning anything without a solid staff and administration! This school should have closed after Cynthia Juarez and her less than professional attitude, attire, and lack of leadership (principal of 11-12 school year) but no they keep it open to collect government dollars and our kids suffer. There is chaos, no leadership, a rotating door of teachers that makes a merry go round seem still, bullies, poor attitudes, and an administration that cares more about $$$ than your child's well being.

Posted December 29, 2013

3 school years ago this school had a rating of a 7.Now it has dropped to a 5. There is a lack of communication between teacher, parent and principal. This school doesn't take bullying seriously. The most important detail is that the current principal and teachers I feel are only there for a paycheck.

Posted December 2, 2013

Very Good School , We liked this school very much, Very good study program and Good attitude . Student eductiona tracking is very impressive,

Posted July 30, 2013

I have always preferred a Charter School over a regular public school; but not all are the same. I like this school because my son has attended here for going on 3 years now. I like the small class sizes. They do however have a high turnover rate of staff and that is why I gave 4 stars instead if 5. They have a really neat program called Micro society. It is the only school I know of that has this and the kids seem to really enjoy this.

Posted May 2, 2013

This school has problems. If you have a middle school student, think again before enrolling your student. Students talk during class and get up to talk to friends. They are rude to teachers. There have been 3 math teachers this year in middle school. There is no real discipline. Kids push and shove each other. Most of the teachers are new to teaching and new to this school, because the teachers from last year all left. It is hard for parents to find out how their student is doing because some teachers don't pick up papers and mark the grades on the assignments!! All you see as a parent, is the grade that was posted online. Don't bother asking the teacher about the grades because he/she doesn't want to discuss it. This is a C rate school for a reason.

Posted March 4, 2013

I love how no matter the level that my kid is at they can challange the. I have 3 that go to this school. One kid is super smart in everything and learns really quick. Bell Canyon has him always challanged, but not over welmed. My next child excels in most everything other then reading, he is pushed to keep going in all areas, and is given the extra suportt need in reading. My youngest child is a slow learner, they give extra time and effort in all areas. Not one of my kids have ever come home feeling like they didn't learn something, or that they were not good enough. In this school every one that works there beleive that every child is wonderful and treat each one with respect.

Posted September 8, 2012

For someone who reads the excellent reviews, be careful! Don't be deficient in judgement when you hear my story. My kid was a straight A student and was going onto the fifth year with the school. I supported the school in everything as I used to be a teacher myself. My child was in a preparatory class, practically learning for two grades. All of a sudden math teacher started loosing homework and the child started getting Fs. The teacher refused giving the pack again; now, this was a second pack magically disappearing. I accused both the principal and the teacher of bulling the student, but they both stood ignorant. As one might have thought, I requested a withdrawal letter while the principal and the teacher just watched me. Magically, the pack resurfaced again and the teacher said he was going to change the F and it is going to be maybe a B. Ha-ha, do you see my message. If you want to go to a marketplace, sure enough, you are at the right place. Proud always of my son, he is in a gifted class. Message from a former teacher, nobody deserves that treatment, and especially not your child! Don't you think so? What is going to be the future of this kids if we teach them wrong?!

Posted September 7, 2012

Been with this school with my daughter in Kindergarden for a few weeks now and I am completely unimpressed with they way the teachers and staff work here. They are stating that my daughter is having issues, but right in front of my daughter actually say negative things about her. This is not how we solve problems. This is not how most teachers operate. My daughter has been a good person and did excellent in preschool. Something at this school has changed and the teachers just give me the "I don't care" attitude. Look elsewhere if you want people that care

Posted May 24, 2012

This is our first year at Imagine Bell Canyon and we are very pleased with the quality of education our Kindergartener has received along with the genuine level of care shown by not only by her wonderful teacher, but by the staff as a whole.The principal greets us by name whenever we are on campus, personally met with me to listen to my concerns/suggestions and, in my opinion, has made some positive changes within the school this past year. Microsociety is such a fantastic program!! It is teaching my daughter community responsibility in a way that would be hard for me to duplicate at home. I love that she works together within a group her own age led by a student in an upper grade. They all learn a lot from each other. I highly recommend this school!

Posted May 23, 2012

This was our first year at Imagine Bell Canyon. We checked out many charter schools in our area, and are very happy with our decision. The MicroSociety program has been an amazing way to teach what life will be like when our son enters the "real world" work force. His classroom teacher has gone above and beyond in educating her students, and relating to them individually. The principal has been highly involved in all aspects of the school. I have seen her interact with parents and students on a field trip. There are many remarkably caring teachers who will be returning next year. If you're a parent who likes to be involved in your child's education, there are many opportunities for you here, along with a principal who is willing to listen to your needs and meet them to the best of her ability. I recommend this school to parents, and students of any age, K-12.

Posted May 20, 2012

This is our first year at Imagine Bell Canyon. We did a lot of research before we came to this amazing school. They offer several wonderful programs, such as, Micro Society which my son loves, free all-day kindergarten, and a school curriculum that is beyond any expectations I could have. The teachers are friendly and they care about our students. The principal is absolutely the best. She came up to me at the beginning of the year and introduced herself. She is very easy to communicate with and a wonderful problem solver. I recommend this school and their staff to all parents I meet. We are happy here and can t wait to see what next year will bring.

Posted April 10, 2012

I used to absolutely love this school, but after the administration changed yet again I will not be returning. The new principal this year is atrocious. She does not care about the kids and her only focus is on enrollment. Every conversation I have had with her shows her lack of professionalism and care. The principal should not be working in education. She would make a much better used car salesman. This is also a uniform school and most of the students are either not in their uniforms or not following dress code. That goes for some of the younger staff as well. I really had high hopes for this school, but if this is the direction the Bell Canyon is going to go, you're better off taking your kids to a district school.

Posted February 24, 2012

This is my son s third year at Imagine and I have not only seen him grow but the school has grown as well. The improvements to the parking, the murals on the walls, the gardens that they are growing, Imagine is really striving to reflect the great job they are doing inside and out. I have had a chance to talk with teachers and parents from other schools and they are amazed at the math program and a bit green with envy with Microsociety. I feel this school provides my son a well rounded education and the support he needs to excel in both life in general and in his educational environment. I would highly recommend the Imagine Schools and the only reason I haven t rated it with a five stars is because I know it has room to become even better.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 58%N/A47%
Female 49%N/A49%
Male 51%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff German
Italian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • North Central Accreditation (2009)
  • Top 10 Most Improved Schools (2010)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:00
School end time
  • 3:30
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Joshua Jordan
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Multi-aged
  • Project-based
  • Singapore Math
  • Standards-based
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor