Imagine Bell Canyon

Charter | PK-8 | 455 students

We are best known for small class sizes.

Living in Phoenix

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $81,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $800.

Posted August 31, 2010

This is the first year my children have attended Imagine Bell Canyon and my fourth grader and my kindergartner absolutely love it. My fourth grader finally is being challenged by a great teacher; Mrs. Patterson. Mrs. Zinn is a warm,friendly teacher who has really been able to get my son to enjoy learning. Let's not forget the most friendly front office staff. I have never experienced the kindness and love for the children at that school; not to mention the entire staff tries to get to know all the parents and children of the school. The Micro Society is a great experience for the children to prepare them for the "real world." I am very impressed.

Posted May 24, 2010

My Daughter is about to complete her first grade and she loves her teacher Mrs. Klein. She has grown a lot since the beginning of the year and she loves reading books and enjoys math homework. Everyday my daughter comes home excited about her school day and tries to explain to me the work she has done and the fun stuff she has learned. Mrs. Klein has done an outstanding job in making school days more enjoyable yet at the same time she made sure that the kids are learning. In my opinion, Mrs. Klein deserves kudos for her effort and job well done. Also, the new leadership team direction and vision (such as the introduction of Singapore math, micros city) has been proven to be effective and useful for all kids. I do believe the school deserves a better rating from last year.

Posted May 24, 2010

As we all know there is never such thing as A perfect school....sometimes you can send your kids to a great school, but they get a teacher that makes their experience not so good, and vice versa a not so great school with a wonderful teacher that reallyhad an impact on your childs learning experience...but no mater what the most important thing wih any school is "improvement" bell canyon has shown that they care enough to make improvements where needed..This is the 2nd year here for my children and I must say they would be upset with me if I told them they had to attend another school..The teachers this year have made the school a wonderful place for my kids. The improvements and growth of the school was simply amazing. It started a little rocky an I had concerns as any parent should, but hanging in there was worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted May 4, 2010

Excellent Teachers this year, Safety and Discipline excellent, Parent Involvement is significant, Principal is the Regional Principal for all Imagine Schools and happens to be acting as a Principal for this school directly, I am impressed about the huge change in staff this year.

Posted February 26, 2010

My daughter is in kinder this year & I love this school. Her teacher, Mrs. Merrifield is wonderful. They are learning so much & I'm very excited about this school.

Posted February 5, 2010

My daughter loves this school. She enjoys the amazing new art teacher, and loves her microsociety job. She adores her wonderful teacher too. Mrs. Ross is amazing! We cannot thank the school enough for what they have done for our child.

Posted December 7, 2009

I cannot tell you how much I LOVE this school! My son comes home excited about the things hes learned and the teachers are AMAZING. The Microsociety class alone is reason enough to put your child in this school. The day before Thanksgiving break as I waited to pick my son up from school the teachers and staff came out of the school first and lined up on either side of the sidewalk. As the kids left the school the teachers began clapping and cheering for the kids. Soon parents joined in. The kids were smiling ear to ear and my son said that it made him feel like the teachers really care about them. It was called The Tunnel of Hope. The teachers high 5 and knuckle bump the kids, pat them on the shoulder and ruffle their hair and most of all they smile AT your child. Incredible!

Posted September 22, 2009

This is our 4th year at this school; my daughter started in 2006 in Kinder. I LOVE the changes that are being implemented under the new principal! One of my favorite changes is the addition of smart boards in every classroom (3rd and up; K-2 have 'floating' board to share). The PreK curriculum is great. I can't wait until my youngest is old enough to attend! I definitely reccommend this school to anyone!

Posted September 20, 2009

I LOVE this school!!! They let my daughter start kindergarden this year even though her B-day is in Oct. My 3rd grader went from D's to A's and the work she is doing is more challenging! The whole staff cares about not just there education but them as a person. They have uniforms! No more fashion struggle it's all about the learning. They are doing new innovative activities that have the kids thinking outside the box: Singapour math, mircosocity to name a few! #1 thing is they want parent involment! This is tution free Charter school with a private prep school feeling! And it's K-8! This is the school I've been looking for and my children will reap the benifit of an amazing 21st centry education!

Posted September 18, 2009

From the 1st impression through 1st quarter progress reports, I have had nothing but postives from this school. My oldest daughter was struggling at her previous school and beginning to hate school. Right now, her reading has improved and she is an 'A' student. I believe the quality of teachers has a great deal to do with that. The Teach for America program is one thing that caught my attention, the Kids at Hope approach to learning was another, and let's not forget Micro-Society. My wife and I are convinced that the small class size is another contributing factor. The classrooms are equiped with computer interactive whiteboards which help to engage the students. Also, my 4 yr old would have had to wait to start Kindergarten anyplace else, NOT at Imagine Bell Canyon. We love this place, and want our girls to grow with it!

Posted August 5, 2009

As of last year, if there was a negative star rating I would have given that. But this year really appears to be hopful and from what I am hearing, sounds like it will be an awesome year!!!!!! I really hope that all of these new teachers bring their fresh and creative ways of thinking to the table to better our children, because as cheesy as it sounds they really are our tomorrow.

Posted June 5, 2009

I am so excited to have both my girls at Imagine Bell Canyon next year! The administration is caring, the new staff sounds both highly qualified and highly motivated and the new programs (Micro Society and the interactive smart boards) are amazing.

Posted June 5, 2009

Hooray for the change at Imagine at Bell Canyon! The new Leadership Team has gone above and beyond to move this school to the next level. The new 2009-2010 school year is going to be the best yet, with new programs in place and new staff to carry them through. It is time for change at Imagine Bell Canyon and like I heard at the last parent meeting, I believe this new Leadership team will be successful in moving the school from a good school to a GREAT school!

Posted May 28, 2009

The new approach and vision of Imagine Bell Canyon is the reason why my child will be enrolled next school year. The dedication and determination of the new administration to provide the best educational environment for each individual student is taking this school to a whole new level. Parent involvement is increasing, communication has greatly improved, and a new standard of professionalism is present. As an educator and a parent, I believe I am ensuring a successful future for my child by partnering with the new Imagine Bell Canyon staff.

Posted May 27, 2009

I am so excited to have a brand new administration team at our school. The new changes are going to make a huge difference in the lives of our children and their families. A microsociety and kids at hope program are just the begining of a great school year. Our administration wants only positive, caring, and top notch teachers and that is why many teachers were not asked back for the 2009-2010 school year. Free pizza night, bowling & laser tag are some of the wonderful ways we keep in touch with our families and our community. Bell Canyon Rocks!

Posted May 20, 2009

Kudos to the new administration for having the guts to start fresh! It's true that many teachers are being replaced. I see this as a good thing! The 4 out of 10 rating this school has is because of the staff. Time to start fresh with new ideas and new minds.

Posted May 11, 2009

Recently, 3 teachers from Bell Canyon were rehired, 3 decided to obtain a position at Adams Traditional with Mrs Malone the fromer principal at Bell Canyon, 2 decided to look elsewhere for employment and 9 teachers were let go via a mass email. As a concerned citizen and a parent, I would question the reasons behind so many changes at Bell Canyon. The current staff was turning the school around and is very dedicated. Why are they trying to fix something that isn't broken and was finally starting to work?

Posted May 7, 2009

I am thrilled at the changes that Imagine Bell Canyon is implementing the 2009/2010 school year. Bell Canyon is a great school, but now it will be excellent. The new leaders of the team are positive, caring, passionate and determined to improve what is good to make it better. Go Imagine Bell Canyon!!! I am behind you 100%.

Posted March 3, 2009

I like the small atmosphere of the classrooms, the tech classes and that they have PE. My son moved here after being in another charter school that worked for my other kids but not him. He needs more one on one attention.

Posted February 19, 2009

This school was blessed by a strong leader in the principal. She had made many wonderful changed and strides with her approach to education. After two years of positive changes (look how the reviews improved) she is leaving. She will be missed, but hopefully we can follow her inspiration.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 58%N/A47%
Female 49%N/A49%
Male 51%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff German
Italian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • North Central Accreditation (2009)
  • Top 10 Most Improved Schools (2010)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:00
School end time
  • 3:30
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Joshua Jordan
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Multi-aged
  • Project-based
  • Singapore Math
  • Standards-based
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor