Faith North

Public | PK-8 & ungraded | 299 students

Posted August 15, 2014

Both of my children have now graduated from Faith North and both are excelling at their new, traditional schools. This is such a testimony to the wonderful and valuable education they received. Faith North gifted them with a love of learning and s sincere curiosity for the world. The principal knows each child by name and does such a superb job of creating a community and a sense of inclusion. I will be forever grateful for the many years that the teachers and the staff of Faith North fostered their interests and a sense of peace in my girls.

Posted April 17, 2014

My granddaughter is learning so much at Faith North! She's in the first grade and loves school!

Posted January 17, 2014

I love this school. I have been at this school for almost 10 years. I have first hand knowledge that grace and courtesy permeate every aspect of communication at this school. I interact with parents on regular, day-to-day basis. Parents are overwhelming positive and regularly express that they feel this school is blessing in their families lives. This is their phrasing, not mine.

Posted September 25, 2013

My children have attended Faith North for 9 years. The education has always been and continues to be stellar. The blend of Montessori pedagogy with the public school curriculum has been wonderful. The ability to see my children and the other children at Faith North blossom over the years while following their natural curiosity and having their test scores reflect the educational excellence of the school has been very rewarding.

Posted September 24, 2013

I started working at Faith North in February and couldn't believe the oasis I found in the middle of downtown Phoenix. Not only is the campus beautiful and inviting, the students are just phenomenal. The children are polite, well-mannered and excel in their academics and afterschool activities. I am so grateful that this was the school I landed in.

Posted September 24, 2013

Faith North is one of the few free Montessori schools in Arizona. The staff are highly trained and qualified. The curriculum passes state standards. The children are nurtured and encouraged as they develop academically, socially and physically.

Posted September 21, 2013

Faith North is a free, public Montessori preschool - 8 school in downtown Phoenix, and the staff is awesome. It has an "A" rating by the state of Arizona. Also, it is easy to get to if you work in downtown Phoenix and want to drop off your children. It's on the light rail line. You will love this school.

Posted June 27, 2013

My daughter started this school when she was in kindergarten as she got older the teachers got better until fifth grade, the teacher she had was the worst of the worst. The school did nothing when I complained. I used to love the school but obviously, it's gone downhill

Posted May 2, 2013

I love this school! My daughter has been attending Faith North since Pre-K. She'll be advancing to 7th grade this fall and I couldn't have picked a better school for her to attend. Going through public school myself I see the differences. The community is close knit and the support is wonderful! It amazes me how it feels like a family more than school. The opportunities for outside learning is endless it seems! More than what I got at my traditional public school. As a parent, you strive to give your kids the best. I believe a better opportunity, if not the best, in education. I see that in her love of learning, everyday.

Posted August 13, 2012

We really LOVE Faith North!! From Ms. Engdall (principle) to the teachers, there is nothing more we can ask for. Our daughters have never expressed any disinterest in attending school. In fact they're disappointed during breaks (winter, spring, summer and even weekends :-D). The Faith North community is very welcoming and provides a great environment for families!! Our children have grown so much (as a whole person) since beginning at Faith North!

Posted August 12, 2012

Our Grandson is starting his second year at Faith North. So far so good, but would really like them to teach spanish from preschool all the way through 8th grade. They learn so much easier at at early age and being bilingual is so important these days. Would really like to see them incorporate this into the program. Have spoken with many other parents that feel the same way. Pls consider!!! Thanks.

Posted July 18, 2012

We love Faith North! My daugter started here in Pre-School and is about to start First Grade. I'm impressed with how much she has learned already (starting Multiplication and reading extremely well.) I especially find the small community at Faith North enduring and incredibly diverse. The teachers and principal appear to be genuinely interested in their students. We've looked at "10" school throughout Central Phoenix, and haven't found any reason to move her to another school.

Posted February 28, 2012

After reading many of these negative reviews I felt it necessary to respond. This is my daughter's second year attending and I've never seen the discrimination that is repeatedly mentioned. I've also had nothing but positive interactions with the Principal. I'm especially pleased with the social worker, who has gone above and beyond helping my daughter academically and socially. My biggest complaints are the vast amounts of homework, extensive fundraising "opportunities" and a teacher that is sometimes too busy to help in the way needed. I see these negatives as a result of the school budget cuts, not a reflection of the school itself.

Posted January 31, 2011

I am so happy my son was able to do 7th and 8th grade @ this school.The teachers he has are wonderful and understand the behavior of this age group.My son started @ faith north in the 6th grade after leaving a different montessori school in the area.The other school he went to was a horrible experience the last 2 years he went there.Thank you faith north for making him enjoy school again and making me remember why i choose montessori10 years ago.

Posted November 10, 2010

Faith North is the school of choice for my 2 older boys and my youngest will attend next year. The teachers are committed and devoted, parent community supportive of staff and students, and children kind and respectful. I have been involved with the school for the past 6 years. Needless to say, the original draw and continuing high point is the years of experience, immense patience, and grace of the principal, Mrs. Engdall. She welcomes and listens to parents, treats students with kindness and dignity, choosing not to punish but rather teach in their weaker moments. The teachers, parents, and most of all students respect and admire her for this.

Posted September 21, 2010

I can't say I wasn't warned about this principal but read thru this site and consider it carefully. My child attended this school at age 3 1/2 -4 and we were pleased but did not interact with the principal until this year. This year he got a new teacher and I started to get reports of behavior issues in class. We went in for our 1st parent teacher meeting eager to find a solution to help our child and instead of guidance we were told to never bring him back. Our child is bright, already reading and doing math but they flat out told us he wasn't their problem. This was days after his 5th birthday, a month into the school year... and they just gave up on him! We really liked his assistant teacher but she was not allowed to talk to us about what was really going on.

Posted August 9, 2010

Diversity is a HUG issue! The school was made for the neighborhood kids and the principal don't want them there. In a district in which 90% of the student population is Hispanic, this particular school has a huge Caucasian population! I think there is lack of integrity in administrators. I really like some teachers because there are good and dedicated teachers there. I will never take my kids there nor recommend this school to anyone.

Posted March 11, 2010

I love how the school feels like a big family. The teachers truly want to teach our chidren. They have out of town trips with their classmates. Its great for developing a childs independnce. I drive from Metro Phx to Downtown everyday and I wouldnt change it for anything. Faith North is a wonderful school in so many ways.

Posted March 7, 2010

Stellar school! We are so fortunate to have a public Montessori school here in downtown Phoenix. Our kids are going on 4 years at this awesome school. They are self motivated hard workers with a love of learning and exploring. Thanks Faith North!

Posted October 10, 2009

Greatest free Montessori School in Phoenix. Devoted Staff. Excellent Administration. Hugely Supportive and Caring Parents

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 45%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

910 E. Washington