Arizona Virtual Academy

Charter | K-12

Posted July 26, 2011

There are many things to like about AZVA. All the materials are free, it's very structured, and you know exactly how well your child is doing in class almost up-to-the-moment. It's a great school for a child that is highly motivated and can work well independently, or for a family that wants to home school but needs extra resources. We didn't fit into either category, so it just didn't work well. A big warning!!!! Now that my son is going back to a public high school, we found out that they don't accept the accreditation that AZVA has, even though we were told by AZVA that all credits will transfer. He has to retest on EVERY core class that he passed and score 70% or higher to receive credit for it. Otherwise he will only get credit for it as an elective.

Posted April 17, 2011

AZVA=online public charter school that a child can be enrolled in at no cost b/c, like all public schools, it is tax-payer funded. B/c it is a public charter school, it does not receive as high of a percentage of monies as public district schools.B/c AZVA is virtual rather than brick & mortar, child learns from home/road/anywhere. AZVA is NOT independent homeschooling b/c one registers/enrolls child in a public school that employs teachers, schedules/requires standardized testing(AIMS).When one independently homeschools,he does not depend on a state-funded school, a child is not assigned a state student ID, does not have to complete standardized test, doesn't comply w/ attendance hours,& the parent must sign an affadavit w/state assuring that they'll educate their child independent of state.AZVA is the ideal public school for us b/c we have already pd taxes to cover our child's education, we are sent materials/provided w/ tools needed to educate him, yet he does not have to spend his day in a brick & mortar public school w/teachers & peers we don't approve of. We are referred to as Learning Coaches but do 90% of the teaching.Excellent resources, live online classes, it's the best!

Posted February 27, 2011

I have 3 children in AZVA this is our 2nd year. We are satisfied with the school and its curriculum I am especially happy with the online Mark 12 reading program this has helped my special needs student to go from reading 25 wpm to 80 to 90 wpm, but the special needs program needs improvement you are kinda left alone to do your own thing not very supportive. The math program could use more improvements. Most teachers are helpful but not all seem to care the same about there students.

Posted December 25, 2010

If you want to homeschool and need free materials this is great way to go. As for a "school" AZVA is NOT that. The Leadership has gone down hill the last 2 years and I am glad this is my last year with them. There is NO parebnt involement in Northern AZ and the school just doesn't care. This school is backed by K12 and is more of a business than a school. Like I said in the beginning, if you want to homeschool and need materials start here!

Posted November 9, 2010

This is the fourth year my granddaughter has attended AZVA. She went to a regular school for 3rd and 4th grade. This girl is always on the principle's list and exceeds all the time with AZVA. This school has a great curriculum and I really like the education she gets here. Her only problem is there is no socialization. We live on the west side of Phoenix and there is NOTHING here for a kid to make friends. I do not count elluminate sessions as making friends. That was why she wanted to go back to a regular school, and then had to face 2 years of bullying. In the second year she asked to go back to AZVA again. This is a great school, but you just can't sit on your butt. Try helping, you might learn something.

Posted September 5, 2010

WOW I cant believe how many of you parents are lazy!! As for the "to much work for a elementary student" comment< you must have a kid as lazy as you. My daughter breezes through these assignments. Public school is A babysitter to you apparently and you blame AZVA for your short comings! I have no problem contacting the teacher and she hold several online meetings with the children. Stop being lazy and teach your child something or shut and don't complain when public school fails them too!

Posted August 25, 2010

I am the parent of the student who reviewed the school starting with "Ugh" on 1-28-2010. Let me start by saying that she was in 7th grade at the time she wrote her review. Pay attention to her writing style and grammar. It's excellent. She got that from the k12.com curriculum offered at AZVA. She also scored PERFECT on the writing and reading sections of her last AIMS test. We lived in a very isolated area of the state, where she had absolutely no social interaction with any kids her age. None at all. So her view is a little jaded on the whole social aspect of this school. If you live in any town in the state, your child will have social opportunities that my daughter did not have. She now says that the curriculum is outstanding & the school is great, since moving to an actual town.

Posted June 24, 2010

AZVA IS FOR FAMILYS THAT HAVE NO LIFE, BUT BEING ON THE COMPUTER ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND YOU STILL FALL BEHIND. I HAD A 8TH GRADER AND A 2ND GRADER. I NEVER HAD TIME TO GO SHOPPING OR CLEAN THE HOUSE.YOU DON'.T GET REPORT CARDS. YOU JUST GET A PROGRESS REPORT THAT TELLS YOU THAT YOU ARE DOING GOOD EVEN WHEN THE CLASSES TEACH YOU NOTHING. THE SPECIAL ED DEPARTMENT IS A COMPLETE JOKE!!!!. AGAIN UNLESS YOU WANT TO WASTE YOUR CHILD'S LIFE DON'T CHOOSE AZVA. JUST GOOGLE THE OWNERS OF AZVA AND SEE HOW MUCH MONEY THEY MADE LAST YEAR. I WILL PAY FOR A PRIVATE SCHOOL NEXT YEAR AND HOPE TO IMPROVE MY CHILD'S EDUCATION.

Posted May 14, 2010

Teachers are awesome! The curriculum is state of the art. There is a nice 'family' feel to this school. Everyone works together for the good of all students.

Posted April 27, 2010

Helpful and energetic teachers and administrators and excellent curriculum make this school outstanding!

Posted April 6, 2010

AZVA uses the K12 curriculum and it is the most comprehensive, thought provoking program I have come across in five years of homeschooling. AZVA, the school itself, seems to change from year toyear as they tweak this and refine that. Sometimes it annoys me. Sometimes it delights me. I associate with AZVA only for access to the K12 program. I cannot afford it privately. How good is the curriculum? My sixth grader, whom I removed from Higley Elementary after a disastrous first grade and enrolled in AZVA, re-entered public school at his own request and made the honor roll the first semester. What is even more impressive is that this child was considered extremely learing disabled when I withdrew him from Higley. AZVA has a terrible Special Ed program and he received little if any services. But the program itself is designed for multiple styles of learning.

Posted February 10, 2010

AZVA is a home school situation. I disagree with the discouraging reviews. AZVA is great. The staff is great. My son actually likes learning again after his horrible experience in the public school! He is a happy 7th grader! On the academic level he is learning SO much more without the chaotic enviroment. Yes, it does take work from the parent, that is why they call it HOME SCHOOL. As one parent put it well,' You only have one chance with your child'

Posted February 9, 2010

AZVA is a terrific school. We've tried it all, private school, home school and this has been the best experience. We have flexibility to school whenever we want. As the parent of two high school students I am even more appreciative of this school. My oldest has been able to hold down a part time job and keep up with his studies. The school work is hard and time consuming but, it should be at this point. I also have a child will health issues and this school has allowed him to keep up with his school work and not be worried about falling behind, because we can do the work when he is up to it. When the kids were in the elementary program I felt it was a little easy but they were able to work at their own pace.

Posted January 30, 2010

As many other parents and students have said, you should be prepared for a home schooling situation with AZVA. The amount of schoolwork given is way more than students can complete each day, not to mention that students aren't given much guidance from teachers. Students at AZVA won't have time for anything other than school work. Trying to get in touch with teachers or administrators isn't easy. It can be days before they answer student or parent questions. Lessons move too quickly, not allowing students to understand and absorb what they need to learn.

Posted January 28, 2010

Ugh. That is pretty much all I can say about this school. First off, you don't have a teacher. TECHNICALLY, you do, but really, your teacher is your parents. The licensed teacher calls once a month to tell your parents what they could figure out by looking at a computer screen for five minutes. Now, let me get started on the motivation. In a REAL school, you have other kids to compare yourself to. Here, you just have a list telling you what you need to do. And ever get nervous when you bring home a bad grade? Oh don't worry! Your parents grade every last assignment! That doesn't make you nervous at all. So, you just hope with all your heart that you understood what the materials said, and did all the work correctly. And if you didn't, be prepared for the big 'I am so disappointed in you' speech!

Posted January 17, 2010

I didn't like this school at all. Like the other parent said, it IS homeschooling. They provide so many assignments that there is no way little elementary school students can come close to finishing it within 4-5 hrs. It took my kids 11 hrs. a day to finish their daily assignments. The teachers will tell you to push off the work they can't complete to the next day but if you do those missed assignments show up the next day on and on until those are completed. If your child doesn't do it they end up with so much work at the end of the week that it's impossible to complete. I do not recommend anyone using this school unless you have unlimited time everyday to help your child. No life is possible with this school.

Posted January 13, 2010

It may not be 'called' homeschooling, but it is very much structured as a homeschooling ciriculum. It was not a good option for my 2 high schoolers. The teachers were difficult to reach. They each had at least 2-3 teacher changes in 1 semester. I wouldn't recommend this school for single working parents who don't have 4-8 hrs per day to dedicate to assisting your student.

Posted October 27, 2009

I have never been more disappointed with a school in my life. The teachers don't help you like they should. The teachers are suppose to keep in contact with you and check their kmail, every day of the week, answer their phones and grade papers on time. I had 6 teachers, and only one of them graded my work on time, kept in contact with me, answered her phone, and helped me when I needed it. All of my other teachers waited a week or two to call me back or kmail me back, which is not acceptable at all. I have no other choice but to go to AZVA, because I live in a bad neighborhood and I can't go to the schools there because I don't feel safe at them. I have been with this school for almost two years, and they have absolutely ruined my high school education.

Posted August 17, 2009

This was the BEST decision I could have made for my kids! I am loving having my kids at home learning and having the ability to work at their own pace. The staff is wonderful as well as the study materials that are provided...This school gives parents more say as to what their child is learning. Most importantly, I am no longer dealing with the DRAMA from fellow classmates that my kids would spend so much time and energy stressing out about. If you are considering this education option, GO FOR IT!

Posted June 24, 2009

At AZVA, I am able to do schoolwork in any order I choose. I am also allowed to start an assignment one day and finish it the next. All that bugs me is that parents may start to slack off, thinking kids won't goof off without their supervision. Think about it, a teenager is on a computer for his/her lessons, but they don't want to do them. Without the push of an 'in-person' teacher, the child is most likely to go on a game website and play. It has happened to me before. It is a good school, but remember, the teacher in the classroom makes sure the students don't goof off. With no teacher, the parent needs to make sure the student doesn't goof off.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

303 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

303 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

389 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

389 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

412 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

412 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

399 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

543 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

544 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

536 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

657 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

658 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

647 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

677 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

676 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

269 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

306 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

294 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing".
  • This school did not receive a designation in 2009-2010.
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 59%N/A47%
Female 49%N/A49%
Male 51%N/A51%

Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (520) 294-7738

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now