Public charter
Phoenix, AZ
Students enrolled: 4,802

Posted September 08, 2014
We have been with AZVA from 1st grade and now the girls are in 11th grade. I am the Learning Coach and mom and dad are both brick and mortar teachers. We chose AZVA for its rich curriculum, the online classes and ability to interact with teachers. The girls have excelled due to the excellent curriculum, the ability to adapt to each girl's needs and the support of caring teachers and administrators. We are very supportive of this school. Yes, we have had a few issues, but they have been dealt with in a positive and supportive manner. The teachers and administrators really care about each student. One of the girls, I believe, is strong in math only because of this "home school" program. She struggled with the basics and only because I could teach and reteach using different methods until she understood is she the A student she is today. She has those basics down! That would never have happened in a regular school environment. The girls have made many friends through online sessions and school activities. When given an option before 9th grade, they chose to stay at AZVA. We love AZVA and look forward to the next 2 years knowing we will be fully prepared for college!

Arizona Virtual Academy 2

Posted July 24, 2014
We had calls, in the first few weeks last year, inquiring how things were going; however, as soon as we figured out what our issues were, there was NO support. If you have a child with special needs, or a child that is working above grade level (we have both), forget it. No one was able to help us with strategies for our child with special needs, and it is a common diagnosis. They didn't seem concerned at all. He learned NOTHING in two of his subjects the entire year. We were told, prior to enrolling, our other child could work ahead so as not to get bored working two grade levels behind his ability. What they actually meant was he could skip every few lessons, but he still had to complete a certain amount of those lessons/week. He wasn't able to get to his grade-level ability the entire year because of this requirement. Now I'm attempting to speak with administration about these issues before I decide whether to enroll them this year. I just get tossed from one voicemail to another with no return calls. It has been weeks, and no one has returned one call. AZVA is convenient and free but if you have a different learner, the convenience will come at great cost to your child.

Arizona Virtual Academy 4

Posted May 29, 2014
My son attended AZVA in 4th grade. It was very intensive and alot of work, but when he went back to a brick and mortar class, he was so far ahead they had to bump him up a grade. I'm tired of his current schools attitude. The learning is a joke and they treat parents like the enemy if they hold the school accountable for anything. We are going back to AZVA next year. I'd rather worry about the curriculum being too tough than worry that he's getting a second rate education.

Posted May 07, 2014
We have had 3 children attend AZVA, and it has been a lifesaver. It lets us run our own schedule, our businesses from home and still be completely involved with what is going on with our children. We had our youngest start school with AZVA and he is now going into 3rd grade. He has a 6th grade reading level, and is doing much better than I believe he would in a regular school. We have had 2 kids graduate through AZVA and I believe that they were able to focus more and do actual school compared to their brick and mortar schools they attended before. Love AZVA, love the support, the teachers, flexibility, and we absolutely recommend this school. They supply everything, even computers. Great way to "homeschool" with the support of real people and teachers.

Posted January 26, 2014
My son was enrolled in Arizona Virtual Academy for Kindergarten. We were very displeased with our experience. The teacher was nice, but never really helped me my son when he was struggling to "catch up" as pressured by the school since he started the program a couple months into the school year. He needed the time to start at the beginning and I was under the impression that the flexibility of the school would allow him to do so. The school overall treated us like $ signs and a number in their system. They could care less about my son. The curriculum was "so-so" and I was not pleased with the overall workload they expected a 5 year old to take on. We have since enrolled in another virtual school that is absolutely amazing. The curriculum is excellent and teacher support wonderful. We are looking forward to started our third year with the school this fall.

Posted August 23, 2013
Arizona Virtual Academy is an excellent school! The curriculum is available for you to view, the planning is made so that it is super easy for the learning coach, the staff is always available to assist in anyway possible, the feedback is instant, and the teachers are high quality!

Arizona Virtual Academy 4

Posted June 24, 2013
My daughter attended AZVA from 5th-8th grade. She went back to brick and mortar for her freshman year of high school. She took all honors classes and finished the year with a 99% average. The curriculum is solid and I assumed it was my full time job to teach her and monitor her work and progress. My son's AIMS scores went up 30%tile rank points in just one year with AZVA. I have no complaints and love the time with my kids, though there are some rough days here and there, but their education is MY responsibility primarily with AZVA. We've always completed all the assigned work in 4-6 hrs. (depending on the grade level) and we've always finished the year several weeks early. Learning is hard work and it's fun!

Posted April 12, 2013
Our daughter is learning much more in Arizona Virtual Academy than in the brick and mortar charter school that she attended for kindergarten the first three months of first grade. Since she is already motivated to learn, the online program through K-12 is perfect for her and she does not have to learn at a much slower pace with less disciplined children (although normal for that age)as in the previous charter school. Her mom is the learning coach and is responsible for the majority of the learning, but they also have class connect with her teacher and other students online for an hour daily, at least three times each week. The learning and program took about six hours daily to accomplish in the first 4-6 weeks, but is now accomplished in about four hours with short breaks between classes as we (now) comprehend the program and how to navigate the web site, as well as being organized with the classes. It is great being able to go back over material and help our child understand difficult segments, which is not likely in a brick and mortar experience with another 25 children for the teacher to attend to. Additionally, we can call or email (k-mail) the teacher as needed.

Posted January 30, 2013
Ha Ha! The best they can do to rebut my review is to say "K-12 is not breaking the law" ROTFLMDAO!!!!!

Posted November 22, 2012
Thank goodness I do not have any relatives in this system. The students I have helped are stressed by the 2-3 lines used to give them information on the subject and questions. Unacceptable base for decison making. Escorted student to Phoenix English test. Teacher did not arrange in advance for the test, when she arrived at the library even contact the staff I felt whole way was unprofessional, ncluding whispering to student, kneeling beside the student (which made the student very uncomfortable) moved the student midway thru test to an ever more public and noisy area, seating the 12 year old on a chair at a table for 3-6 year old. I was so concernedat this point I insisted my husband get an adult size chair for her as i WAS afraid she would set on the small chair that would not support her weight, set upon the floor or kneel by the student again. When I questioned the whole unprofessional way the test was scheduled...I was by Ms. Sanche it was my fault, even though I had told her2 months before I could be available with the student the 5th on November. Finally, I insisted thru the students parent that I not take the child without a date and time. Mary E. Bryce

Arizona Virtual Academy
99 E. Virginia Ave., Phoenix, AZ  85004
Last modified Arizona Virtual Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Arizona Virtual Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 50 reviews. Top