No rating

Summit School of Ahwatukee

Private | PK-8 | 345 students

We are best known for advanced, hands-on curriculum.

Living in Phoenix

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $185,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,040.

Posted May 7, 2013

My children have been at Summit for a year now. We came from a highly rated public school in the valley and have really enjoyed all of the differences Summit has provided. My kids have become better problem solvers, public speakers and writers this year. There is a lot of focused learning at Summit. I help with second grade math once a week and am amazed at the different approaches the teachers have here. The children are really challenged to take a risk with their learning by answering questions and explaining their reasoning to their classmates. Morning meeting are held twice a week and provide the children opportunity to get on the stage and explain their work to their peers. The teachers here really do care about each child and are more than willing to meet at any time to discuss concerns. It's nice that the kids also have a chance to experience all of the specials that Summit offers including music, art, PE, Spanish, technology and science lab. Overall, we are very happy with our decision to send our kids to Summit.

Posted May 7, 2013

Summit School of Ahwatukee is a great school. We have 3 kids at the school, 1 in middle school and 2 in elementary. We have been a part of the Summit community and family for 2 years now. I call it a community and family because it is just that... from the students and their parents, to the teachers, to the staff. Summit really brings out the best in it's students. The challenge the kids to do their best, to be creative and to enjoy the learning experience. Our kids transferred from public schools and we have seen them grow tremendously in their academics, the attitudes towards school and in their character qualities. We would highly recommend Summit School of Ahwatukee for any family that is looking for an inspiring culture that has great teachers and a welcoming and inclusive student body. It has been the best investment that our family has and could have made for our kids and for their future success.

Posted March 19, 2013

The search for the perfect school was a difficult and arduous process. I looked at 10 different schools in the area, all of which were good but not great. Each school presented itself with its own distinguishing characteristics but fell short in providing the perfect combination of academic excellence and character building. Summit exceeds my expectations in every regard. The academics are outstanding and are presented to the kids in a way that is engaging and inspires a lifelong love of learning. The staff is excellent, from the administration, to the teachers and even the cleaning staff. The parent/family community is incredibly supportive and feels more like an extended family than people we simply know because they attend the same school as our kids. We have a child in kindergarten and preschool and are so happy we found the perfect place for them to grow, thrive, be happy and excel.

Posted December 4, 2012

Our daughter just completed her third year at Summit School of Ahwatukee, after transferring from another school. She is absolutely thriving. She is excited about telling me about her day when she jumps in the car at pick up. She blows kisses at the school when we drive by. She is deeply engaged in her homework and project assignments - many of which require her focus, creativity and humor. She has been getting straight A's along with several A+'s since she began attending Summit . As one of her teachers noted, she is one of the most driven students she has ever worked with. Our daughter is now in an environment that is able to foster her intelligence, creativity and drive. During her time at Summit our daughter has regained her confidence, her excitement toward learning, and her drive to excel. Summit has given us back our child. Mother of a middle school student, 2012

Posted September 6, 2012

This special learning community is a rare find in schools today. The supportive "family" atmosphere is wonderful for our children, and everyday they are challenged to do their very best. Small class sizes, excellent teachers, special classes, and emphasis on developing citizens of high character are just a few of the things that make this a top-notch school!

Posted April 24, 2012

As a former Kindergarten teacher and now a Full-Time faculty and Administrator in Higher Education, I was very "picky" in looking for a school to send my children to. From the moment I toured Summit School, I was impressed. The classrooms are rich with resources, the teachers are caring and committed to educating the students. Our oldest son attended preschool this year and we have been amazed by all of the wonderful things he has learned and experienced. Next year, he will be attending Kindergarten and we are so excited for his experience at Summit to continue, as well as our second son's experience at Preschool to begin. I highly recommend Summit School to anyone looking for an all around quality education plus so much more!

Posted April 23, 2012

Having worked for the last 10 years in Arizona as a teacher, I feel that I can fairly judge the merits of an educational program and I feel Summit is top notch. We have been nothing but impressed by Summit's small student-to-teacher ratio, the genuine caring and support of the teachers, and an academic program that challenges children to learn new things while still building their self-esteem. Our son has grown in leaps and bounds this year and the great program at Summit is a huge part of that growth. My wife and I genuinely believe that an investment in the education of children will pay dividends throughout their lives which is why I am pleased to give my highest possible recommendation on behalf of the school.

Posted April 21, 2012

This is my daughter s first year at Summit after moving her from an excelling public school. I chose Summit as they have a reputation for providing an outstanding education through individualized education, small class sizes, and an incredible amount of specials. What I wasn t expecting was the dedication of the teachers, families, and administration in making each child s school experience an incredible one. This involvement produces an environment that is encouraging, safe, and allows the students to be themselves and confidently meet any challenge. I am so grateful to have found Summit for what it is providing and will provide for my daughter.

Posted April 20, 2012

Field trips are one of the many many things I love about Summit . That teachers have the freedom to follow their amazing instincts and create all kinds of outings for our children is very special. I had no idea in joining the Summit community how much a part of school life field trips could be. From Pali Mountain to Starbucks, from penpal visits to Washington DC they are a wonderful way for the kids to grow and expand their in-class education and social skills.

Posted April 13, 2012

My children started in Toddler Discoveries and are now in Kindergarten and preschool, respectively. The teachers are supportive, encouraging, and challenge the children to do their best. My children have really flourished at Summit and are very happy there. The Summit community is very caring and involved with all the children's academics. It is a fantastic school.

Posted February 9, 2012

My two younger children have been at Summit for two and a half years, and I regret that my oldest child never had the opportunity. What a great school! The Elementary curriculmn provides students with a rock solid foundation in an innovative, challenging, yet, fun environment. The Middle School, then builds upon that foundation to create lifelong learners who are well prepared for High School, College and beyond. The Teachers and Administrators are exceptional! They are invested in the students and the Summit community. My children feel respected, valued and truly cared about.

Posted January 6, 2012

We joined the Summit School community in the fall of 2009, in the preschool. The school truly is more than just a school - it is a community of like minded families who believe in both the value and power of education, as well as the importance of imparting strong positive messages for children in an environment that emphasizes personal responsibility and personal best achievement. We strongly feel that the education that the children receive is exceptional and unparalleled in our community. The school has set up a system to work to individualize education, as much as possible, and provide each child with the unique teaching emphasis that the child needs. Although we feel that the environment is more important than the results, we also feel that our daughter is achieving unexpected accomplishments in all areas of her basic and creative education. We are regularly astonished at how much she already knows, analyzes, and questions, at her early age. We cannot speak highly enough of this wonderful school and community.

Posted October 26, 2011

Two of my children graduated from Summit School of Ahwatukee. What a gift it was to them. They were so prepared for high school, and are excelling in honors level courses. Beyond the academics, which are remarkable, they graduated with a strong sense of self, confidence in themselves and their abilities, and respect for themselves and others. Teachers care so much for the students and they were instrumental in my children's emotional growth and confidence. Thank you Summit.

Posted June 23, 2011

Our child just finished her 2nd year at Summit. We have been very happy with the experience. Teachers are dedicated and happy, and really care about the well-being and learing of children. The class size is small enough that each student gets individualized and tailored instruction. Our child is supported and challenged appropriately in all subject areas. We look forward to many more years at Summit.

Posted June 19, 2011

I love Summit! I have 2 children who attend the school, my oldest has been there for 9 yrs. As many other parents have attested, I feel blessed to have my children go to school there. I can't say enough good things about Summit. The strong teaching staff is a big part of Summit's succes. The small classroom size allows my children to get the attention they need and gives the teachers the opportunity to really get to know each child. The academics are strong and give a great foundation to prepare students to go to the high school of their choice. In a time when so many schools have had to cut back on the arts, PE and 2nd language, Summit continues to put a strong emphasis on these areas. My children are excited to go to school every day and love their school. The school community is close knit which makes it comfortable for my kids to socialize with their classmates. Summit truly is a great place to educate/develop your child!

Posted April 27, 2011

Our children have attended Summit School for five years. We feel very fortunate to have found such a wonderful school for our children. Our children are challenged academically and receive individualized attention. Summit has nurtured intellectual curiosity and a love of learning in them. Science education occurs in a lab beginning in kindergarten. Students receive quality music, PE, Spanish, and technology instruction, along with the core academic areas. The art education program is incredible and just won a national award. The teachers are talented and dedicated professionals. My children have made wonderful friends. Perhaps most important is that my children love going to school. They feel safe and cared for and fight me when I tell them they need to stay home sick. Summit School is a gift.

Posted November 9, 2010

This is our first year at Summit. We feel very fortunate to belong to a school where each family and faculty member is genuinely engaged in the well-being of each child. Each morning our child is eager to go school and learn. We owe that to the phenomenal attention that Summit gives to our child every day. We are grateful that our child can blossom both academically and socially in a small sized class. It truly is a "home away from home."

Posted October 21, 2010

My child attended another private school in the area for six years. I began to get concerned over the level of academic focus and looked at the local public school and Summit. After only a quarter at Summit, my child has blossomed academically. No early release,year round spanish multiple days a week, both language arts and literature and six sessions of math per week - all lend to a strong focus on education. Did I mention the excellent faculty? Choosing Summit was one of the best decisions I could have made for my childs education.

Posted August 26, 2010

Summit has been an outstanding educational experience for my children from preschool to 8th grade. The small class sizes and low student-teacher ratios allow the instructors to know your child and his or her learning style on a very personal level. The curriculum is challenging, is theme-based and focuses on the whole child. The art, music and technology programs are unmatched. There is a very strong sense of community, and Summit families are deeply committed to their children's education. The school leadership continually evaluates the effectiveness of its programs and implements improvements based on the feedback of its parents and teachers. Overall an excellent school and a nurturing environment.

Posted June 21, 2010

At Summit our two children are loved by their teachers. This has allowed them to thrive academically and socially. They have been challenged in the various curriculum areas which they have been exposed to. We have seen them bloom in many aspects. We feel that Summit is not only a school, but a community of families who all want the best for their children. You can see this in the amazing number of parents that are involved, whether in classroom volunteering, or in activities planned for students and their families. Summit is full of wonderful teachers who are talented and work hard to bring the best in all students. We are blessed to be part of such a wonderful community!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 15% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Winner of U.S.A. National School Art award by (AAO) (2011)
  • Voted a top Preschool in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 (2011)
  • Twelve 7th grade Algebra students score top 10% in Arizona (2012)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Summit top school in state for Homeward Bound Diaper Drive (2011)
  • 4 middle school teachers: Excellence in Teaching from Xavier (2011)
  • Kathy Dean, M.A.,(PE) “Fuel Up and Play 60 program”. (2011)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Technology club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Patrick O'Brien
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Associations
  • North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA CASI); National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
Fax number

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Audiovisual aids
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Performing arts
  • Creative writing
  • Poetry

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom