No rating

Summit School of Ahwatukee

Private | PK-8 | 340 students

We are best known for advanced, hands-on curriculum.

Living in Phoenix

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $185,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,040.

Posted July 18, 2014

Summit School of Ahwatukee is incredible! We wanted our son at a NAEYC accredited preschool, and on our tour learned about the amazing toddler discoveries program, which we happily joined! When enrolling in preschool there was no question it would be Summit. We adored the teacher leading his toddler class and were thrilled to know that our son would thrive with her in preschool. After falling in love with Summit s preschool we could not help but fall in love with the entire school, which continues through 8th grade. We made the decision to move our elementary age daughter to Summit & are so happy we did. The teachers & students have been warm and welcoming. Teachers are well-educated, nurturing, caring individuals. You can tell they are genuinely happy every day to be educating our children. The curriculum is fantastic and everything is so hands-on, which our children love, and they are truly thriving. The most impressive and satisfying part of having our children at Summit is that, yes, the teachers are educating their minds but that teachers also want these children to grow to be amazing and well-rounded people; from everything our family has experienced they are doing just that!

Posted June 17, 2014

The best way to describe Summit is "Country Club". You pay an annual fee (tuition) to be apart of the club. I was caught up in the hype of "excelling private school" when I enrolled my child. However, we quickly realized the bulk of our tuition was for "prettifying" classrooms and marketing. The school administration has a profound lack of leadership and integrity. Prominent parents heavily influence decision making, resulting in inequity of education, punishment distribution and over all student experience. Bullying is a major issue at Summit because of this. I agree this schools is not for gifted kids. The academics are only average despite small classes. In fact, it may be a good option for kids who are developmentally challenged, have sensory issues, learning disorders etc. because they will not be labeled by staff and class sizes are small. It is true that the school has a great art and music program also. However, you can send your child to a high performing public or charter school and supplement their education with music and art outside of school for considerably less than the tuition. Ultimately, Summit's academics and school culture were disappointing.

Posted June 4, 2014

Summit School of Ahwatukee's Academic level is excellent. We witnessed that when we had to move out of state and our kid had to apply for an admission test done by a third party. I always like the fact that the school is relatively small and there is a strong feeling of community, with the parents heavily involved on their kids education.

Posted June 1, 2014

I was so glad to get my kids out of this school. Kyrene School District puts this puny non-balanced school to shame. Kyrene has so much more to offer and so many beautiful children that are a real world mix. Many of the teachers are just puppets without the "real" experience. They have Summit experience and that doesn't fly. Summit is set up for those who have money and think they are getting their $$ worth... nope.

Posted May 9, 2014

We are so pleased that all three of our boys benefit from the high quality education that Summit offers. The academic and social growth in our sons has been astounding and there is no doubt in our minds that it is due to the amazing Summit team and the exceptional program at Summit School of Ahwatukee. As educators, my wife and I appreciate the value of an individualized, child-centered education and we are so fortunate to have found such a program at Summit School of Ahwatukee. We look forward to another great year.

Posted February 21, 2014

Great School! My kids are learning so much and come home happy every day. They have a love of learning again.

Posted January 22, 2014

This School has become very average. Not work the money. No real leadership and the curriculum is all over the place.

Posted December 30, 2013

I find this amusing a SUMMIT parent exclaiming that in the past 5 years 5 SUMMIT students have been National Merit Finalists. Really people you need to wake up and smell the roses. in The same 5 years, Desert Vista High School has produced 103 student NMF! Quite clearly DVHS has significantly higher numbers of higher performing students, to note that your school has 5, is just embarassing, it shows just how weak the student body is, really #5 vs 100+.......For a SUMMIT parent to promote this is just funny.

Posted December 9, 2013

I just wanted to share this incredible news about Summit where I am proud to say my 3 children attend. It speaks for itself! Summit School of Ahwatukee is proud to announce that four students from the class of 2010 are part of the prestigious and elite group of 2013 National Merit Semifinalists. Often high schools of 2,000 to 3,000 students have at most only a handful students earn this distinction. To have four students in a graduating class of 29 is exemplary, exclaims Head of School, Patrick O Brien. We are clearly proud of these graduates, and of the caliber of our teachers and curriculum. This is the fifth Summit graduate to earn this distinction. A 2008 Summit graduate was a National Merit Finalist.

Posted November 16, 2013

We are in our 5th year at Summit. Our eldest started in K and our younger ones spent time in preschool, too. The teachers are tremendous. They take the time to assess the individual student and really communicate with the parents to give the child the most positive and satisfying experience. The tuition is, of course, substantial, but when comparing the well-rounded educational environment, it is justifiable for us. If you're looking for small class sizes, caring and creative teachers and administrators, and involved parents, this is the place to be!

Posted October 21, 2013

Summit is a wonderful place. My children thrive in this school. They are challenged academically and are excited to attend school every day. Summit teachers care and treat each child as an individual. I love this school and would not think about leaving to attend any of the highly rated Kyrene Schools nearby. What could the school do better to really earn the 5 stars and be the top private school? Well, communication from School administration needs to improve. The Head of School needs to be sending out a weekly message to the community to show he is engaged and on top of it. The School should do a better job of keeping promises about the curriculum such as Morning Meetings. When we first toured the school all we heard about was how many opportunities the children had to be on stage during school wide morning meetings. Well this year they seem to be lacking. The Pre-school also makes many promises about their Online tool to view observations about your pre-schooler but these website is rarely updated. The school even bought IPads to make it easier to update these observations but still the website sits empty.

Posted September 26, 2013

This school has become the center of our children's lives. Our eldest began kindergarten at a highly rated public school, only to be bored and unchallenged. When we changed to Summit, he flourished. The climate is dynamic, the students aren't stuck in desks all day, they work in groups, transitioning to all kinds of special activities not offered at other schools (Spanish, art, laboratory science, technology, etc). Personal character development is stressed almost as much as academics, learning to respect others as well as yourself, and to always do your personal best. My children are thriving, and are truly happy and excited to go to school each day. I never worry for their safety or happiness when I drop them off in the mornings, and they greet me with smiles and stories about their day in the afternoons. Bottom line, I couldn't ask for a more well rounded education for my children. You truly have to see it to believe it, as the motto says. I only wish my own elementary education could have been as wonderful as theirs, and I'm grateful to be able to give this gift to my children.

Posted September 26, 2013

We are extremely impressed and overjoyed with Summit School of Ahwatukee! What our son has learned in just a short month is proof in the pudding as to how stellar their curriculum is. My son last year went to Kyrene Public School and would continually tell me how bored he was every week with school. When my son started this year at Summit School of Ahwatukee he said "Daddy, I love my new school and i'm not bored'. When you are here, you feel like this school is truly part of your family. I was also impressed with the lower number of students to teacher ratio in the classes at Summit. I also like the philosophy at Summit that there is no ceiling towards learning for each student which enables the students to achieve anything they want to which you will be hard pressed to witness at Kyrene Elementary Public School. I also enjoy seeing the respect that each student has for each other at Summit which is refreshing to see. You can physically feel the joy of students, teachers, and parents. This truly is a gift to my child and will set him up for future success.

Posted September 26, 2013

We recently moved to Arizona and had to choose a school for our children. Both of my children were very much involved in the selection process which we began online. We visited every school in Ahwatukee and the surrounding area. It was important to us that our children felt happy, secure and safe. Summit School of Ahwatukee promised everything we needed. It exceeded all of our expectations and continues to do so. Our children were immersed in a new and very different curriculum and they thrived in all subject areas and Summit School of Ahwatukee did an exceptional job in preparing for high school. This school offers a well rounded education where the academics are excellent with each class being delivered by teachers who have a passion for teaching. Their energy and enthusiasm develops a lifelong love of learning in the students. The students are encouraged each day to do their personal best. Our children have developed into confident, respectful and well rounded young adults thanks to the dedication of Summit School of Ahwatukee.

Posted September 3, 2013

The middle school teachers are an extremely impressive group of seasoned professionals. We are so grateful to have them in our son's lives. He has been at the school since preschool and is now in 8th grade. We moved to Arizona so he could go to this school. The art and design program is internationally recognized. Summit is an extremely nurturing environment that requires high level thought of the students. The school create leaders and thinkers. Many of the students are also serious athletes in various club programs.

Posted August 1, 2013

Excellent teachers, extremely small classes and wonderful campus. Thrilled with every aspect of the school!

Posted June 20, 2013

School is not a place for gifted children. does not worth the money not friendly to non white families

Posted June 16, 2013

We paid the $75 registration/waiting list fee ONLY to be never contact other than emails to contribute time or donations. I would HIGHLY question what happens to your $75 if you aren't contacted.

Posted May 7, 2013

My children have been at Summit for a year now. We came from a highly rated public school in the valley and have really enjoyed all of the differences Summit has provided. My kids have become better problem solvers, public speakers and writers this year. There is a lot of focused learning at Summit. I help with second grade math once a week and am amazed at the different approaches the teachers have here. The children are really challenged to take a risk with their learning by answering questions and explaining their reasoning to their classmates. Morning meeting are held twice a week and provide the children opportunity to get on the stage and explain their work to their peers. The teachers here really do care about each child and are more than willing to meet at any time to discuss concerns. It's nice that the kids also have a chance to experience all of the specials that Summit offers including music, art, PE, Spanish, technology and science lab. Overall, we are very happy with our decision to send our kids to Summit.

Posted May 7, 2013

Summit School of Ahwatukee is a great school. We have 3 kids at the school, 1 in middle school and 2 in elementary. We have been a part of the Summit community and family for 2 years now. I call it a community and family because it is just that... from the students and their parents, to the teachers, to the staff. Summit really brings out the best in it's students. The challenge the kids to do their best, to be creative and to enjoy the learning experience. Our kids transferred from public schools and we have seen them grow tremendously in their academics, the attitudes towards school and in their character qualities. We would highly recommend Summit School of Ahwatukee for any family that is looking for an inspiring culture that has great teachers and a welcoming and inclusive student body. It has been the best investment that our family has and could have made for our kids and for their future success.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 15% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Winner of U.S.A. National School Art award by (AAO) (2011)
  • Voted a top Preschool in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 (2011)
  • Twelve 7th grade Algebra students score top 10% in Arizona (2012)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Summit top school in state for Homeward Bound Diaper Drive (2011)
  • 4 middle school teachers: Excellence in Teaching from Xavier (2011)
  • Kathy Dean, M.A.,(PE) “Fuel Up and Play 60 program”. (2011)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Technology club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Patrick O'Brien
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Associations

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Audiovisual aids
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Performing arts
  • Creative writing
  • Poetry

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom