Public charter
Phoenix, AZ
After care: No

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

This school not only has fantastic perfroming arts but also academics. This year both the middle and high school received A grades
July 17, 2012

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted June 28, 2015
There was only one teacher that my kids had that was worthwhile. He was great...but he didn't make up for all the other deficiencies at this school.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted June 28, 2015
They use homework to compensate for the lack of teaching....my 2nd grader was inundated with homework (1-2 hours a night).

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted June 28, 2015
Students here are income for this profit-based school. Everything is rinky dink....done as cheaply as possible. They outsource the lunch to a local caterer and it's so bad my kids never wanted to eat it.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 28, 2015
My high schooler had a foreign language class. The teacher KNEW that other students would cheat off my son. It became a joke in class to the point where the teacher would make my son sit up front by him so that nobody else could see his paper. But there was never ANY punishment for the cheating students. A JOKE!

Posted June 28, 2015
I had three children in this school, and I've pulled them all out. My eldest was never academically challenged. There would be huge gaps of time when he would just be sitting idle with no work to complete, and the teachers and administration knew of it and did nothing. When he did have classes, he was always bored, with no change for anything to challenge him. My middle child struggled with the work, but was not given enough help. They offer special tutoring classes during the day and on Fridays-but no actual help is given there. They just give the child extra assignments to complete, but if the child doesn't UNDERSTAND the material, giving them extra work won't be helpful. Nobody stepped up to try to help him understand what he needed to be learning. Worst of all was the elementary. The teacher my daughter had was absolutely awful. She was very negative in every interaction my child had with her. She graded very harshly (miss one homework question and your score is 50%). She made my daughter absolutely hate school. We have left this school behind, and are not sad about it one bit. Good riddance! If you care about your child's education-look elsewhere!

Arizona Conservatory for Arts and Academics 5

Posted May 26, 2015
My daughter has attended ACAA for the past 5 years. This school has really allowed her to further her musical talents. Teachers are great and supportive! Academics are focused here, so no slacking allowed! Great school choice for anyone interested in performing arts!

Posted March 26, 2015
I have had a decent experience with ACAA until now. My youngest is now a student there and has basically been ignored and belittled by her teacher. It's obvious that this teacher has her favorite students and parents and the rest of the kids don't matter....Not only did she ignore early warning signs of a learning disability but was completely aloof and unconcerned when it came to helping the child. Time and time again my questions and concerns are not addressed by the teacher. It took the principal stepping in along with the special education department to get help. This teacher continues to be smug and rude and is blatently biased and unfair. It's sad that one teacher can make such a negative impact but I'm doing my best to make sure this horrible experience does not stay with my child. I would still recommend ACAA I would just advise parent's to not accept this kind of behavior from a teacher. And we are going to keep making sure this teacher knows she didn't break my daughter, she gave her a good example of the kind of person she doesn't want to be. the
3 people found this helpful

Posted January 26, 2015
I don't recommend this school for their academics. The elementary and middle school teachers seem to have a challenging time executing the vision of the school. Their STARS program is archaic and the teachers do not seem to have any flexibility when it comes to grading their students. Several of the teachers continually lost my daughter's completed assignments and gave her zeroes. Each time I questioned them on the assignment, they would locate it and change the grade. My daughter earned mostly A's during her time at the school (5th grade & 6th grade). Yet, however, I felt she wasn't really learning anything other than Arts, PE, and Piano. I recently withdrew her from 6th grade and she has started an online learning program through K12. She is having to catch-up on the things she didn't learn in 5th & 6th grade: Math, English, History, Writing. This school is not doing what is advertised.
3 people found this helpful

Posted January 26, 2015
I think this school - both administration and its teachers need to rethink their bullying pollicy. Both students and teachers get bullied here. Students by both other students and teachers and teachers by other teachers, parents, and administration. There is an overflow of unprofessionalism and for this reason, I have taken my daughter out of this school. She is having a much healthier time in public school.. Maybe it is time to get rid of Administration if they cannot maintain the quality of dignity toward their staff.. who should be number one.. NOT give in to parents who demand grade changes, or they threaten to take their kid out of the school.. Do you really want parents like these? Their kids are the same way?

Posted October 30, 2014
I am very disappointed in this school. When my childs teacher tells me what to feed my child then its all over I sent my child with choc chip teddy grahms which have the same nutritional value as yogurt and granola bars and she preceded to tell me because they had chocolate it was not healthy. Schools should be worried about all the children getting physical education every day. This school has no licensed medical staff and no nutritionist like public schools. This school is a dissappointment and high school consistently runs out of hot meals every day because they refuse to stagger lunches. whoever decided to put this school in the middle of a business park was not smart. this school could not even help my child struggling with his math. Very dissappointed
5 people found this helpful

2820 W. Kelton Lane, Phoenix, AZ  85053
Last modified Arizona Conservatory for Arts and Academics is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Arizona Conservatory for Arts and Academics Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 69 reviews. Top