School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

This school not only has fantastic perfroming arts but also academics. This year both the middle and high school received A grades
July 17, 2012

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (4 responses)

Amount of homework: no rating

Everyone says that there is too much. I agree that most classes have too much, but with some it's necessary, like math. It's not just right though. Some still needs reform.

The teachers would rather enforce tedious rules about homework instead of focusing on the bullying. In my first semester I witnessed two cases of extreme bullying while in the presence of unmotivated teachers. The first scene occurred in an almost empty classroom: two teachers and myself. Our attention was drawn when we heard the girl start screaming obscenities at her "friend". She began getting in her face, shoving and punching her. The "friend" blocked and said "sorry". The attacker yelled and cussed a little more and then stormed out the door. The teachers had done nothing except watched. They said nothing as the other girl fled. Weeks passed and I talked to the girl who was attacked and she informed me that she was still being bullied by the same girl, who was now spreading lies about her and turning others against her. The year is over and nothing was done to rectify it. The second case was during a class with a different teacher. This time a girl stood up and started yelling at the girl next to her. She was shouting about how that student insulted her religion, offended her, and traumatized her. She began cussing. The student replied with "OK". More yelling ensued, then the student replied along the lines of "I don't care and your yelling isn't going to change my mind. I'm not going to talk to you when your just shouting at me." The first girl said something like "Well I'm sorry, I just get really anxious when things like this happen. I have major anxiety. I'm just gonna leave" (She had stuttered and cussed as well) She gathered her stuff and then left. The teacher just watched. The student who had been yelled at apologized for what happened. The teacher told her that it was not her fault and that she had responded in the best way. Later, the girl came back in and informed the teacher that she was going home and would speak with the office. The teacher said "OK". Now, for the record I would like to say that there are a few teachers who I think are really good. One of them I know would have stopped them, he has done so before. The other is very kind and fun, and the last taught me a lot (though isn't kind). And I know of another teacher who never taught me but I know is very friendly, helpful, and actually cares. Most of the staff at ACAA are nice but taught me little. Some are mean and taught me nothing. Overall, I regret my decision to apply.

From My personal experience I can't say one nice thing about the school which is sad. My experience is a horrible one. From beginning to end (long story short time).I am contemplating homeschooling my daughter. I really thought this school was the right fit for my daughter. She was basically tossed from one place to another with a plan of action that was never put into action. No child should be mistreated under no circumstance! All students should be treated equal and fair. No teacher should ever engage in any boisterous behavior in front of her students towards a parent. ALL parents should be treated with Respect. I have Never disrespected this teacher or anyone at the school for that matter. But was treated in a very unprofessional manner. No one has to take that. My daughter has always looked forward to going to school but now it has gotten to the point where my daughter doesnt want to go to school. She cries, she gets irritable, she gets figity and nervous she complains her stomach hurts. My daughter struggles because of her seizures but she tries really hard she has come a long way. She is very affectionate which does not work well with this teacher. This whole experience has been very stressful for my daughter, me and my family. I mean so many things have happened in such a short period of time, and what's disheartening is there is no one there to turn to, no one!

Develops character: Strongly disagree

There is little interest in developing students. There are classes where the students sit and do nothing. Final exams are replace with games - seems like babysitting.

The school has a very good arts program. However, the academic program is lacking. Only about a third of the teachers are actually state certified which is not revealed when you visit the school. When my child attended this school, it was clear that the academic program was lacking. The teachers seem to be people who can't get jobs anywhere else. Generally, there is a lack of enthusiasm and even interest. When I attempted to meet with the principal to have a discussion about my perceptions, she would not make time to meet with me. Thankfully, although there was a little transition time, things are much better at our current high school which is MUCH better at preparing students for college.

Horrible teaching specifically from science. Horrible communication and poor academic materials. Arts not impressive for an arts school.

Withdrew from the school the minute we could. Transferred from one school to this sorry excuse for a charter and was sorely disappointed. They were going to make me retake classes (putting me a year behind) that I already took. Didn't get into most of the classes I wanted- which was the whole reason we applied. Substitutes were filling in for 4 teachers and nobody knew what they were doing. Administration will make you wait for hours just to talk for 5 mins. Administration is snippy and unfriendly. Every class had a fee and students have to provide practically everything and the teachers blamed it on a low budget. The only teachers that were any good were the musical theatre teacher and ballet teacher. I do not recommend this school to ANYONE. If you want to be angry 99% of the time, pay fees at any chance they can get, and learn absolutely nothing then this is the school for you.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Only two teachers- ballet and musical theatre that have even a little bit of knowledge of what they are doing.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Homework on first day of school. It was a test not finished in class, which is preposterous that they would require to do it at home- but they did.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The school never revealed that every class will have expensive fees. The first week of school is a waste of time for students and administration has no idea what they are doing.

Last modified Arizona Conservatory for Arts and Academics is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.