Public charter
Phoenix, AZ
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Dear Parents and Visitors, StarShine welcomes you. We believe each and every child has the ability to do something unique and wonderful to make the world better. We believe all schools and teachers should bring out the best in every student and to teach them not only academics but how to live and make good choices in body, mind, spirit, health, wealth and happiness. Our teachers exemplify excellence and our school is a way for others to follow. Our focus is 100% on each child. Test scores and grades do not tell much about what a child should know and master. It is not time to reform schools, it is time to revolutionize them, so they work for everyone, including parents. Thank you for caring for your child, they are our future. Sincerely, Trish McCarty
January 26, 2015

Posted January 25, 2015
My son had been struggling in school after school and last fall I enrolled him in starshine. He started out doing the same things he had been in trouble for at other schools but then they started having him work on behavior points and its really helped. He isnt fighting and he's proud to show me his points from school. Thank you starshine!!!!

Posted January 25, 2015
This school is horrible. One of their best teachers resigned last week and so many parents are going to remove their kids when they find out. Any positive reviews about this school on this page are made by the school themselves. Do not send your children here. You will be sorry.
7 people found this helpful

Posted January 25, 2015
This school cares about my daughter's success in more ways than I have ever seen with other schools. I am so grateful and wish all kids could have this.

Posted January 24, 2015
Oh, same old, same old! Teachers laid off mid-year due to lack of money, bills unpaid, vendors unpaid, payments (that were withheld from staff pay) to AZRS unpaid, student's special needs poorly planned for and unmet, a 'personal assistant' paid out of school funds who continues to be paid and occupy space on campus while teachers are told they should just work for free...it goes on and on, every couple to three years or so...this school lost it's charter once, could anyone who allowed that to happen step up, come forward and realistically defend it having been reinstated? Please! Don't be fooled by the marketing schemes and slick publicity stunts. If you live in this District, do your child a favor, Go Now to one of the Creighton schools nearest you, and not to this poorly managed, poor example of a charter school.
13 people found this helpful

Posted January 24, 2015
By law, every student must get support if they have an IEP- this school does not follow that. There are too many kids in my child's room, which makes it hard on the teacher. I will be withdrawing my student, after his or her teacher was laid off Friday. The teacher's are the hardest workers on campus and do all they can with the circumstances passed down from adminstration.
14 people found this helpful

Posted September 25, 2014
Never again! As a parent I want the best for my child. My child has an IEP and not once has someone contacted me to discuss his educational needs at this school. You call and leave messages and no one ever calls back. Communication here sucks. Planning on removing my child from Starshine. Parents open your eyes this school is a joke for children with special needs. They paint a good picture of how amazing the school is but it isn't.
12 people found this helpful

Posted August 18, 2014
First of all this school is terrible the staff is very rude and uncaring my daughter and son went to this school for 3 years and didn't learn anything my son is so far behind and they screwed up all my daughter's credits I should of took them out of this school a long t ok me ago I would not recommend this school for anybody. The assistant principal is very rude as well as the daughter of the owner of the school. VERY TERRIBLE SCHOOL PLEASE DON'T SEND YOUR KIDS THERE.
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 23, 2014
Just because this school changed the way the school looks it doesnt mean that it changed the way on how they "teach" the students. All the students do is sit around on a TABLET and sometimes learn on their own. Most of what they say is a lie, even the teachers know it! Your child is better of somewhere else & if the student doesnt do their work OH TRUST ME they are not going to get in trouble. All thats going to happen is they send them to the kindergarten to read to them.. what is that going to teach them? Thats its ok to not do work. NO this school needs a whole lot more work done. Btw this school might say they care about the students but guess what? They don't . If someone has been absent for so long they dont call to say anything, they just go on about their day & as soon as the student comes back to school they dont even question on why he/she has been gone so long and also dont even bother kicking the person out.( WAS a student here)

Posted February 04, 2014
StarShine is an extremely unique school where in the same day a student can play basketball in a beautiful new gym, work on a high tech project on their individual tablet computer in the innovation center, work in the on campus garden, play soccer on the soccer field and learn to care for goats and chickens in the on-campus pet area. Students follow individual learning plans that are specially designed to meet their academic needs while emphasizing areas in which the student displays interest and aptitude. Teachers are all committed to working with the "whole student" and not just treat the student as another test score. A great rapport exists between the student and facility because the students recognize that their teachers really care about helping them achieve their goals. The schools curriculum revolves around a set of 15 guiding principles that help the student and teachers learn to live a better life. StarShine stands as a shining beacon of light in a inner city neighborhood that is often devoid of hope and expectation. It stands as a true example of how charter schools can bring quality education and facilities to neighborhoods that are otherwise filled with blight

Posted December 04, 2013
It has been a very frustrating school. When I call to get answers to my questions, it sounds like I am a bother to them and don't want to help. Even the assistant principal has been so rude. I called one time to explain a situation regarding some classes and he wouldn't even let me finish speaking and I had to ask him to please let me speak. It feels very uncomfortable to communicate with Starshine staff. The teachers have been very supportive, but I don't know how they, the teacher can take it, for a long time they haven't been able to enter attandance in the school system.

Starshine Academy
3535 E McDowell Rd., Phoenix, AZ  85008
Last modified Starshine Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Starshine Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 52 reviews. Top