400 students|Starshine Academy
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Dear Parents and Visitors, StarShine welcomes you. We believe each and every child has the ability to do something unique and wonderful to make the world better. We believe all schools and teachers should bring out the best in every student and to teach them not only academics but how to live and make good choices in body, mind, spirit, health, wealth and happiness. Our teachers exemplify excellence and our school is a way for others to follow. Our focus is 100% on each child. Test scores and grades do not tell much about what a child should know and master. It is not time to reform schools, it is time to revolutionize them, so they work for everyone, including parents. Thank you for caring for your child, they are our future. Sincerely, Trish McCarty
January 26, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted April 14, 2016
I really have no idea and feel sorry for anyone stuck in their job with Trich McCarty

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted April 14, 2016
If you can't show respect and integrity to adults I don't think you can give it to children. No respect.

Develops respect: Neutral

Posted April 14, 2016
Not there to know but can say they don't show any respect to me or my employees.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted April 14, 2016
If they don't show it to adults I don't believe they would show it ti children.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted April 14, 2016
Not honest and does not show any integrity. Does not care and won't return phone calls.

Posted April 14, 2016
Starshine Academy has filed BANKRUPTCY. This school has is owned by a self center woman that only cares about herself. NEVER returns phone calls. Don't think they'll be around much longer. The state needs to have better screening processes before they give out charters to just anyone.

Posted April 12, 2016
My child is currently attending this school. I can honestly say that this is the worse school I ever put my child in. I will be removing my child from this terrible school. My child also have been in a classroom and experience two of here teachers leaving in just 4 months. The students can do whatever they want. Some are bullies and no one does anything about it. The best teachers are gone and this school is frankly a mess. I dislike this school along with former teachers and parents. This school needs to be shut down. I could open and operate a school better than Starshine Academy any day.

Starshine Academy 2

Posted December 06, 2015
Where to start? My son changed teachers 3 times in just 4 months, and the school never notified me. I heard about the changes from him at home. I only got a letter home from the school three times during that 4 months. Otherwise, I was completely in the dark about what was going on. As far as I know, there's no PTA. The school doesn't host any activities. I have no idea what their curriculum is comprised of, despite asking. Their website is full of lies. For example, they say they have after care programs like gardening, yoga, art, music, and so on. Nope. The kids sit in front of the TV the entire time during aftercare. High-schoolers watch them. The animal care program was discontinued this year. (Again, I only found out about this from my son, not a peep from the school.) If they are lying about these things, what else are they lying about? Do they not use respectful communication practices, as they say? Is their pedagogy not based on evidence, as they say? There is no sign-out sheet. There was one day when I didn't realize that my sitter had already picked up my child, and when I got to the school, nobody knew where he was. We wandered around the campus for several minutes, panicked that he had disappeared, until I thought to call the sitter. What if it hadn't been the sitter who had picked him up??? After this incident, I urged them to establish a sign-out procedure, but they didn't. Eventually I didn't feel safe leaving him at the after care program and made other after school arrangements. I emailed the principal my concerns about our experiences at the school. I got no response. I called and left a message, asking him to call me back. No response. I stopped by the office to talk with him. He wasn't there. So I withdrew my child. This school is a farce, a sham. Someone is profiting from the grant money, but they don't care about the students, that's for sure.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted November 18, 2015
This school has never acted with fairness on any topic. And it's lied all 5 years that my kids went their and now their struggling in their new school because they are sooo far behind because of Starshine. This school is a big day care center only.

Posted November 12, 2015
The founder of this school uses these kids to promote herself and advance her personal ambitions. She has cut corners repeatedly to the detriment of students. Teachers are either fired or get wise to the StarShine scam and move on. Look at the schools results. The poor kids at this school are at the bottom of the state when it comes to testing. It's all about the founder squeezing her wealthy friends for donations to support her international trips in which she flogs her book all about the StarShine "Effect." The only common effect shared by these kids is the need to overcome this so called educational experience. Very sad.

3535 E McDowell Rd., Phoenix, AZ  85008