PK-8 & Ungraded
Students enrolled: 1,211
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Congratulations and Thank You to all our volunteers. Sunset Ridge is proud to have over 100 volunteers that support the campus in many ways. Our volunteers serve on PTA, our Campus Improvement Team, read with our students, make copies, help in the office and much more. Parent Involvement is valued at Sunset Ridge.
April 19, 2011

Posted August 27, 2013
My 3 kids are new to Sunset Ridge this year. They have never switched schools before but last year had many horrible experiences and we decided it was time for a change. My kids were all so nervous since they didn't know a single person at Sunset Ridge. Well, when I picked them up on their first day they were all so happy and excited! We are now in our 3rd week and my kids are all still smiling and happy and just love this school. They have all made so many great friends already. It actually brought a tear to my eye of pure happiness when I over heard them talking to each other about their friends and how happy they are. All of my kids also absolutely love their teachers. So far, this move has all been worth it just to see my kids smiling and happy again.

Posted August 03, 2013
My child attended this school 2012/2013 for 7th grade, and will not be returning! My child is an honor roll student who exceeds on aims testing yet the teachers do not want to place my child in appropriate classes. The teachers lack consistency and turn a blind eye to student issues like bullying. My child is rather "popular" yet still faced bullying by other students at this school. When we tried to have social issues addressed by teachers and staff they either ignored or down played the issue. The athletic "coach" lacks the basic understanding that ALL KIDS should be played and displayed a poor attitude when addressed. This school lacks diversity in all areas and my child will not be returning.

Posted July 10, 2013
I am a 7th grade student at this school and I believe it to be a great learning environment. I have read some of your comments about Sunset Ridge having bullying problems. Let me tell you that I am not very popular yet I have not been bullied once since I came to this school in 3rd grade, and I do not believe it to be a problem at this school. The teachers at this school care very much for their students and go that extra mile some teachers i have had even offer to tutor after school or during lunch to those students who need it. This school has a good excel 3-6th grade reading and math classes currently taught by Mrs.Coiro. Mrs.Coiro is an outstanding teacher I had her for reading and math for 3 years and all students agree her way of teaching really allows the students to fully understand the concept and have it stick in their head. they also (new to this year) have advanced science and social studies class for 7 and 8th grade. They also have always had advanced reading and math for 7 and 8th grade. The physical education program is wonderful especially when taught by the best P.E teachers Mrs.Lucas, Mrs.Sparts, Mr.Geiger, And, Mr.Marcus they all encourage us to achieve our best.

Posted December 14, 2012
This school is working hard at changing the bullying problems. There is a no tolerance policy on bullying and/or harassing that they are really enforcing, especially since the new Vice Principal came on board this year. My own son has been spoken to about jokin around with friends, about not crossing the line. Also, the adminstration is teaching kids to stand up for others if they see bullying! I am glad to see them take even the smallest hint of harassment seriously. Maybe in some ways they are overracting to some situations but I see why and I support the bigger picture of the no bullying policy. Our kids should feel safe in all ways while at school to learn... and I feel that is the goal of the administration too. My opinion has changed to a more postivie view of this school! Sometimes you have to be the bad guy to make positive changes. I support the Vice Principal and her stance against bullying!

Posted October 13, 2012
This school is phenomenal. The kids are so happy, friendly and polite, and they have a fabulous character education program. If you ever have a problem, the principal and the teachers are quick to solve it. Sunset Ridge takes every kid's differences and helps to give them the best education possible from the level that they are. If you want your child to get a top rate education from a school with caring and compassionate, well trained teachers, send them here! I really don't understand the negative comments or reviews that have been posted here. As a parent, I know that I have to become involved in my child's education and not blame the school. Yes, it is a K-8 school, but every time I've seen all of the kids on the playground in the morning, the older kids have been separated from the younger ones. The kids have smiles and are safe, so I have no idea what that review was talking about with the kids wandering around together.

Posted February 09, 2012
Our children were here for two years. We recently moved to Idaho, and I just can't express enough how much we miss everyone at this school. I don't understand the reviews about people not being ihelpful as this was the exact opposite experience we encountered. We had help and support from every staff member! My children received the extra help the needed on several occasions. We needed to address a possible bullying matter and it was taken VERY seriously by the Principal. Before being too quick to judge this school, I would encourage people to get involved with the classes. Now that we are in our new place, we miss Sunset Ridge and all the staff even more. They are amazing and will continue to excel under the great leadership they have.

Posted January 16, 2012
I had a child in this school for four days before taking her out. The school allows the kids of all ages to mingle in the morning and at lunch, so the little kids are walking around with the junior high kids, which I find very wrong (and dangerous). The classes were packed and the teacher wasn't helpful or kind. The only nice and helpful person was the lady at the front desk of the office.

Posted January 09, 2012
This school has to be the WORST!! school I have ever seen. My daughter goes there and she gets stuff stollen out of her backpack almost daily. The princible does NOTHING, this score really needs to be updated, the kids there bully everyone and its over crowded, if you want the best fro your child DON'T!! send them here I promise you, you will make a very bad choice.

Posted October 12, 2011
We moved here 3 yrs ago have been very happy with the school. My son has been there for 3 yrs his first teacher didnt always teach in a way I would think is best BUT she prepared him for the next grade and he learned A LOT! His teacher next year was totally different but seemed to handle the kids yet got annoyed with silly behavior that is quite normal for this age group but still taught he excelled/learned a lot. This year he has a teacher who is very different then the last 2, she is too relaxed for me but still getting the job done, kids are learning great amounts. What im trying to say here is there is more then 1 way of getting a teaching job done kids today have to learn how to deal with different teachers. I think the school is GREAT and yes it has issues we had a bullying issue last year (I stayed more on top of it then the school) but from what I hear that is common in most schools! Unfortunately parents dont discipline at home so there is only so much the school can do! I think parents have to be more involved after all we are our kids first teachers! Funny how most parents dont want to add to their own kids education! We plan on staying at sunset ridge for the duration!

Posted May 25, 2011
My daughter is in Kindergarten at Sunset Ridge. I adore her teacher. Unfortunately, I cannot say I adore the office staff at this school. They are the most unhelpful group of people I have ever come across. I've been in that office a total of three times for various questions and need of assistance. Each and every time they helped me very reluctantly. I don't know what these women's deals are, but it's really very annoying to ask for help and get indifference and attitude. I've never once seen any of these ladies smile. Not once.

Sunset Ridge Elementary School
35707 N. 33rd Lane, Phoenix, AZ  85086
Last modified Sunset Ridge Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sunset Ridge Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 62 reviews. Top