School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Congratulations and Thank You to all our volunteers. Sunset Ridge is proud to have over 100 volunteers that support the campus in many ways. Our volunteers serve on PTA, our Campus Improvement Team, read with our students, make copies, help in the office and much more. Parent Involvement is valued at Sunset Ridge.
April 19, 2011

Bad
Good

I just recently promoted from Sunset Ridge, and will be going off to high school in the fall. Seeing as I have been there since kindergarten, I am really going to miss all of the kind teachers, staff, students, as well as Mrs. Byrn and Mr. Lindner. Once you're a hawk, you're always a hawk. It's time for me to spread my wings and soar, now it's time for a new generation to experience this school's greatness.

I have 2 daughters at Sunset Ridge. We couldn't be happier with the teaching staff for the past 5 years. I would highly recommend to anyone considering. The PTA is amazing and put on lots of activities for all student to enjoy!

My 3 kids are new to Sunset Ridge this year. They have never switched schools before but last year had many horrible experiences and we decided it was time for a change. My kids were all so nervous since they didn't know a single person at Sunset Ridge. Well, when I picked them up on their first day they were all so happy and excited! We are now in our 3rd week and my kids are all still smiling and happy and just love this school. They have all made so many great friends already. It actually brought a tear to my eye of pure happiness when I over heard them talking to each other about their friends and how happy they are. All of my kids also absolutely love their teachers. So far, this move has all been worth it just to see my kids smiling and happy again.

My child attended this school 2012/2013 for 7th grade, and will not be returning! My child is an honor roll student who exceeds on aims testing yet the teachers do not want to place my child in appropriate classes. The teachers lack consistency and turn a blind eye to student issues like bullying. My child is rather "popular" yet still faced bullying by other students at this school. When we tried to have social issues addressed by teachers and staff they either ignored or down played the issue. The athletic "coach" lacks the basic understanding that ALL KIDS should be played and displayed a poor attitude when addressed. This school lacks diversity in all areas and my child will not be returning.

I am a 7th grade student at this school and I believe it to be a great learning environment. I have read some of your comments about Sunset Ridge having bullying problems. Let me tell you that I am not very popular yet I have not been bullied once since I came to this school in 3rd grade, and I do not believe it to be a problem at this school. The teachers at this school care very much for their students and go that extra mile some teachers i have had even offer to tutor after school or during lunch to those students who need it. This school has a good excel 3-6th grade reading and math classes currently taught by Mrs.Coiro. Mrs.Coiro is an outstanding teacher I had her for reading and math for 3 years and all students agree her way of teaching really allows the students to fully understand the concept and have it stick in their head. they also (new to this year) have advanced science and social studies class for 7 and 8th grade. They also have always had advanced reading and math for 7 and 8th grade. The physical education program is wonderful especially when taught by the best P.E teachers Mrs.Lucas, Mrs.Sparts, Mr.Geiger, And, Mr.Marcus they all encourage us to achieve our best.

This school is working hard at changing the bullying problems. There is a no tolerance policy on bullying and/or harassing that they are really enforcing, especially since the new Vice Principal came on board this year. My own son has been spoken to about jokin around with friends, about not crossing the line. Also, the adminstration is teaching kids to stand up for others if they see bullying! I am glad to see them take even the smallest hint of harassment seriously. Maybe in some ways they are overracting to some situations but I see why and I support the bigger picture of the no bullying policy. Our kids should feel safe in all ways while at school to learn... and I feel that is the goal of the administration too. My opinion has changed to a more postivie view of this school! Sometimes you have to be the bad guy to make positive changes. I support the Vice Principal and her stance against bullying!

This school is phenomenal. The kids are so happy, friendly and polite, and they have a fabulous character education program. If you ever have a problem, the principal and the teachers are quick to solve it. Sunset Ridge takes every kid's differences and helps to give them the best education possible from the level that they are. If you want your child to get a top rate education from a school with caring and compassionate, well trained teachers, send them here! I really don't understand the negative comments or reviews that have been posted here. As a parent, I know that I have to become involved in my child's education and not blame the school. Yes, it is a K-8 school, but every time I've seen all of the kids on the playground in the morning, the older kids have been separated from the younger ones. The kids have smiles and are safe, so I have no idea what that review was talking about with the kids wandering around together.

When we enrolled our daughter in this school, we were warned from friends about how bad it was, and we didn't believe them. Now we do. This school was a huge mistake for our daughter. The academics were low, and the work she brought home was ridiculous. She had done more difficult assignments 3 years ago! She went from a gifted program into the regular classroom, because she had missed the gifted testing, and was never given any differentiation. The students were mean, and the teachers and administration not only allowed it, but condoned it. I have never seen such disrespectful and arrogant children in my life. We feel bad that we made our daughter suffer those few weeks at this school. I hope the school gets control. On another note, the woman in the front office was amazing! Too bad she isn't in charge of everything else.

Our children were here for two years. We recently moved to Idaho, and I just can't express enough how much we miss everyone at this school. I don't understand the reviews about people not being ihelpful as this was the exact opposite experience we encountered. We had help and support from every staff member! My children received the extra help the needed on several occasions. We needed to address a possible bullying matter and it was taken VERY seriously by the Principal. Before being too quick to judge this school, I would encourage people to get involved with the classes. Now that we are in our new place, we miss Sunset Ridge and all the staff even more. They are amazing and will continue to excel under the great leadership they have.

I had a child in this school for four days before taking her out. The school allows the kids of all ages to mingle in the morning and at lunch, so the little kids are walking around with the junior high kids, which I find very wrong (and dangerous). The classes were packed and the teacher wasn't helpful or kind. The only nice and helpful person was the lady at the front desk of the office.

Last modified Sunset Ridge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.