School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Horseshoe Trails is so very proud of the strong culture of academic excellence, character building, and positive relationships on our campus. The generous and supportive parents at Horseshoe Trails work with the dedicated and hard-working staff to meet the needs of each individual child. If you are interested in learning more about Horseshoe Trails Elementary School, call or email me to set up a tour! Matt Schenk // Principal // mschenk@ccusd93.org // 480 272 8500
February 20, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)

I have 3 children at HTES, and I continue to be impressed with so, so many things. Alisa Gould (reading specialist) is AMAZING!!!! Every teacher we have had over the years has been awesome! They work together to help my/our children to succeed. Especially considering that funding is such a huge problem, this school has done so extremely well in having the children continue to get music, art, and PE. Then they just go above and beyond by offering Mandarin, a full library, and horsemanship......WOW! I absolutely love this school!!!! !

- a school leader

Amount of homework: no rating

- a school leader
Homework should reinforce the learning that occurred at school. Homework should never be a burden to families or students. At Horseshoe Trails Elementary School, students are only assigned homework as practice of skills they learned in school. Teachers are available before school to help support or reinforce any concept a child may be struggling with. Many students take advantage of this before school "reach and teach" for additional enrichment in their learning experience.

Develops character: no rating

- a school leader
Students, staff, and parents love our TRRFCC Horsemanship Program! Students in grades 3-5 at Horseshoe Trails learn character education, participate in team building, and develop problem solving skills through our unique equine program.

Amount of homework: Agree

The student are challenged to their ability levels by their teachers. My children learn in different ways and the teachers teach on choice boards, and multiple intelligence strategies so all children can succeed. I have seen my own children complete different homework assignments in the same classes - because they learn differently. Mr. Schenk absolutely makes sure his teachers all teaching to the individual child!

HTES has a proud and excellent history...with the principal who has left, Ms. Marlow. I am writing this review as a parent who decided to leave the school when the new, young, inexperienced Mr. Schenk was made principal. Keep in mind that all of the excellent reviews are from the Marlow era and she is missed. Now a number of excellent teachers remain at Horseshoe Trails but there was an exodus of talent as well. If you are considering this school, ask questions and stay involved as it is a school in transition. We left after two years for the pv school district which is much larger and has a true gifted program. Larger isn't always better but this change in leadership had a dramatic trickle down effect. Our personal experiences with Mr. Schenk about a bullying issue was very disappointing. Perhaps in time this recent art teacher can grow into his role but not at my child's expense. Good luck!

I am always very proud to say that my student, Carly goes to HTES!! I am very thankful for all the teachers who go out of their way each and every day to make our kids feel special and LOVED! I am very grateful for the EXTRA time the teachers put in to before and after school programs/clubs to help the kids further develop teamwork and learning. Last night was a great example of a school and a teacher who go the extra mile. Thank you Mrs. D! The HTES PTO fundraiser/ choir performance at Desert Ridge had an amazing turn out. The choir showed up with family, friends and neighbors who support the children and our school. We cherish HTES!

Horseshoe Trails has some of the best teachers who truly care about their students and go above and beyond to make learning fun! They genuinely care about their students and it shows in the way the children excel in academics.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Again, the 5 that we have had have been great. The teachers all seem to be cut from the same mold and are fantastic.

Amount of homework: Agree

We have been lucky with the teachers. I know there are a couple that give WAY TOO MUCH. If children are learning in class then there is not need for excessive homework. INTERVIEW YOUR TEACHERS FIRST.

Last modified Horseshoe Trails Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.