Abraham Lincoln Traditional School

Public | K-8

Posted January 26, 2010

I was hopeful when we got the new Principal, Ms. Mayole. I soon found through dealings with the new principal, that she is very emotionally driven, which impedes productive results based on facts. My child's teacher made a poor choice at the beginning of the school year which adversely affected my child. We met with the principal more than once to dispel my child having anxiety and self esteem issues as a result of the choice the teacher made. The principal made empty promises and did not follow through . She lacks leadership ability and the example she is setting does not make a good role model. We have taken our child out of this school.

Posted January 18, 2010

The principal is a horrible leader. You don't know when to approach her and if she doesn't get her way with students, she is not a nice person. I was so excited when the other principal left and Ms. Mayole became the principal. It was great in the beginning and now it's not a great environment for my kids. I don't like how they are treated like they are in prison. They get in trouble for talking at lunch. For goodness sakes, it's lunch!!!!! I will be taking my children out of this school & put them into a better school which is excelling as well without the dictatorship! I would really think twice about putting your kids in this school. The academic work is great for my kids but the drama here with some of the lack of teachers doing there job is pathetic.

Posted December 6, 2009

This school rocks! It is very educational and makes learning fun and exciting! It is the reason why I get up in the morning. It has an exceptional dress

Posted November 20, 2009

Our family has been very happy at ALTS. As a new parent I have had several concerns and each time the principal has answered my questions completely. She took time to meet with me and my daughter's teacher . She also has emailed me, and has taken time to meet with me another time. Principal Mayole has been very approachable and friendly. Some omments I have read here than gave me concerns just havent happened in my experience. Very satisfied parent.

Posted September 16, 2009

Abraham Lincoln Traditional School is exceptional. The only concern I have is the amount of homework that my third grader comes home with each night. Mandatory homework is one of the four cornerstones of the school and is one of the reasons ALTS continues to receive Excelling status year after year. However, my child is NEVER able to complete homework in the '30-60 minutes' stated on the responsibility sheet; it is more like an hour and a half to two hours to complete the homework assigned in four subjects. We have had many stressfull evenings as a result. I have been told that it will only get worse.

Posted August 5, 2009

I have had to switch my son's schools 3 times since he was in Kindergarten. This is the best school I've found. They actually follow their stated philosphy and hold the children and parents to a higher standard. They take a lot of pride in their school and the children excel and feel proud of themselves. My son has grown acedemically since attending there. They do not tolerate bullying. I'm glad we found ALTS.

Posted July 24, 2009

Moved children from nearby St. Jerome private Catholic school to ALTS a couple of years ago, and it was one of the best decisions I could have made. ALTS is focused on the basics, and this traditional focus has served us well. My children read and perform math well beyond grade level. Students are challenged academically, and they learn accountability for their work real quick (as do the parents...). I also really appreciate how accessible the teaching staff are to parents in discussing performance, needs, and progress.

Posted July 11, 2009

i love this school the only down fall is the dress code there it is too strict! if they could at least wear nail polish, some other shorts than uniform shorts and to be able to wear screen print on the shirts it would an excellent school! my daughter loves it there except for that!!

Posted April 30, 2009

This is my daughter's first year at Abraham Lincoln. The curriculum is very systematic; Saxon and Spalding as well as a new Reading Adoption district wide. She has improved in all areas due to the focus on instruction and good manners. Behavior is very important along with dress code enforcement. Parent involvement is awesome and staff is extremely dedicated to the students, the new principal connects with students, staff and parents and is a strong leader and advocate for the school's mission and vision

Posted April 29, 2009

My daughter has attended ALTS since kindergarten and is now in 3rd grade. The academics at this school are excellent. Parent involvment is a must, and helps make the school run the way it does.

Posted April 25, 2009

I am a former ALTS student. I believe that this school has a very good cirriculum, but the passion to teach it in the teachers is lacking. I had more hours of homework in 6th grade than I have ever had in high school. The teachers are more like dictators. They do not incourage students to be themselves. It was not until high school i found qualities in myself that i should have found a long time ago. The staff unwilling to handle children with special needs. I saw my brother have a extremely hard time in school because nobody wanted to take the time to sit and help him. He would be upset 4 out of the fives days a week. It was unreal, and the principles unwillingness to sit down with my mother was extremely un professional. If you like military style this school is for you.

Posted April 6, 2009

I am a former parent from ALTS. Although I did love my child's teacher the overall atmosphere at the school is very unpleasant. We left the school because we felt that our child's emotional stability was severly at risk. I would highly recommend making a few unscheduled visits to this school before deciding to send your child...it it definitley not for everyone!

Posted March 31, 2009

I am currently a student at abraham lincoln and it is really just an amazing school. the environment is so friendly, and it has a real good feeling to it. Everyone knows everyone,and there isn't as much drama as there is in other other schools' middle school grades. The teachers are really great. All the time I've been going to this school, 7 years, neither i nor any of my freinds have failed a portion of the AIMS test. i recently switched to another school to partake in their FLEX program, which is a program for gifted students, and i'm sorry to say that it was easier than the things i was learning at abraham lincoln in a regular class. i switched back to abraham lincoln, and i really appreciate how great this school is now. Everyone should go here.

Posted March 4, 2009

I was excited to send my child to this school, but she is now in 5th grade and I wish I hadn't done it. The new principal is unreal! I'd love to add so much more, but I'd be typing forever and a day.

Posted March 2, 2009

I am proud to say my children attend. They get an outstanding education.

Posted January 21, 2009

ALTS is a wonderful school - we have an amazing staff that cares about our children. This spirit transcends from the leadership of our principal, and goes through our teachers, office staff, food services and maintenance staff! One main characteristic about ALTS is the dress code...it is an easy code, even though some still complain about it. We are grateful that our child can go to school and not have to experience immodest or offensive clothing. We believe that this is a piece of the puzzle that puts ALTS at the EXCELLING status year after year. The students ARE challenged academically, and CAN accomplish the goals set because ALTS teachers are committed to focusing on each student and their abilities. We are so thankful to have this kind of an environment for our child.

Posted September 12, 2008

I am a promoted student of 2008! When i went it was an excellent school with a great junior high!

Posted July 28, 2008

I have 2 children at ALTS. Our family is very pleased with our experience at ALTS. While no school is perfect, ALTS's back to basics and traditional values are almost impossible to find anywhere else unless you want to pay for a private school. They are strict and this enables the teachers to spend their time teaching instead of having to deal with unruly and disrespectful students all the time. The education is wonderful. My child can read on a 4th grade level coming out of K and 1st grade. My 7th/8th grader doesn't have to deal with the inappropriate behavior that is in so many middle schools across the valley. The work given to him is challenging. I can always count on his teachers for feedback in whatever areas I ask them about. They are always available to help should tutoring be needed. ALTS is a great school.

Posted July 9, 2008

This is one of the best schools in Phoenix. If you want your kids to excell in high school, this school is for you.

Posted May 23, 2008

This school has great programs for phonics. Jr. high is ruled by fear and intimidation, with the use of a patriot card. The projects assigned at the 6th grade level rival that of a college term paper. The teacher's do not comunicate well with each other about when they are going to assign projects--so they come two and three at a time, and always on top of homework. The hand book states that for jr. high they will not have more than 90 minutes of homework. We as a family supporting our student, did more like 3 hours of homework on most nights. Students that do not cause trouble are not rewarded for the behavior of being good. This school is more focused on themis behavior of students and discipline, then they are with rewarding good behavior.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 42%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

10444 N 39th Avenue