Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

My grandson has attended since kindergarten and is now almost done with 4th grade. He is on the honor roll and we're all so proud. However, there is a price to pay for achieving high scores. I believe the amount of homework is sometimes excessive. A 4th grader should not have 4 hours of homework. It's a detriment to his sleep requirements and interaction with family time. Mathematics is definitely the priority when it comes to homework and vocabulary or spelling is secondary. I can only imagine what it will be like when he enters high school. I have my doubts sometimes about the cost verses the benefits with such a heavy homework assignment. I can see how a student of lesser I.Q. would struggle to keep up.

My son started going there in kindergarten, he's now going in 2nd grade, I love the time the teachers take to help my son , very friendly staff, & a no bullying school helps too. I'm always telling everyone how great of a school this is, & being a no border school I recommend everyone try to get enrolled.

My children have loved going to this school. I feel the teachers do a great job and love doing so. They work at making sure the kids are understanding things and give them extra help if needed. The principal is also involved a lot and makes sure things go smoothly. They do ask parents to be involved a lot but I've never felt like they looked down at me if I couldn't help. It is a very structured school and not for everyone. I think the dress code is a little strict but good. My only thing is I feel like the younger grades should be moving around more, there is a lot of desk work, and doing more group activities. Overall I think this is a great school. I am confident that my children are getting a good education.

Amount of homework: Agree

I think there is a fair amount of homework but sometimes it can be a bit much.

When my son was in preschool I'd done a considerable amount of homework in researching the best elementary school around our area. This school was by far among the top for "public schools" (I use that term loosely). I put my son in this school and thought it was great the first year, however, my family and I noticed significant changes to the treatment of our son from one year to the next. You see, the school is largely funded from a non-profit "parent ran" PTO called the "Guild." There is heavy emphasis placed on you as a parent to be involved with this non-profit regularly, however, as a young professional and being a dual income family of professionals my lady and I found it extremely difficult to do much for the school. Long story short, because of our inability to donate our time or money to their non-profit we noticed an immediate change in the way our son was treated, and measures were taken to try and have him removed from the school in an administrative way so that it looked right on the records.. Our negative experience goes far beyond this but I'll leave it at this.......

This is a decent school UNLESS you have more than 1 child. There is not nearly enough parking at the school so they remedied this by having release times 40 minutes apart for K-2 and 3-8. This is the only school in the district that does this. They will not let you wait in the cafeteria or playground if you have a younger child waiting for an older one. Your options are to use the pay per hour child care provided on campus or sit in the car and wait 40 minutes...

My grandson changed schools this year and has been extremely happy here. His last school was a little harder but the kids were all snobs. This school has been the best thing for him all around.

I am very happy with this school. My child is a first grader this year and although she was struggling in the beginning, her teacher was there to help us guide her in the right direction. My child started tutoring and the teacher would sit with us regularly to check on her progress. She is now right on track and feeling confident in her skills. Parents and teachers alike are very enjoyable and ready to work together from my experience.

To the comment below VVV. That is awesome how your daughters are doing extremely well and you work with them. Take in to consideration the struggling student who gets help before school, during school, after school, and at home and the weekends. Not every child is perfect and children learn at different paces. I'm sure if your child was struggling and not so smart, you'd feel the stress as the parent and your child would feel down. You are having a great experience, because your children are above grade level. A real teacher can handle teaching different levels of kids and be capable of leading the class in a positive manner. This school is has great kids who have parents that care about their education and that is what is well-liked about this school. However, certain classroom instruction needs a bit of tweaking and adjustments. Children should not feel "not smart enough". Children this young need to be built in to confident individuals.

Both of my daughters go to this school and we are more than happy. The teachers are great and have never had a problem and the Principal is fantastic, she cares about the kids and the school and does every thing she can to communicate with the parents. The dress code may be strict to some but it is needed and also parent interaction with your child AFTER school and even before is very important which is what ALTS pushes. We have three years of this school in our lives and are very impressed and could not be happier. As parents you also have to be fully involved with your child's development in school and not just depend on that school to substitute all parental involvement. It is a bi racial school that is a plus with everyone there with the same mind set, discipline, morals and education which prepares your child for the future . ALTS, is strict but so is the world and it prepares our children for that world and has an environment that has the focus on education. If one feels this is not what they want then ALTS is not for you. Through hard work both of kids are straight A students and are at a higher level than they would be at your standard public schools.

Last modified Abraham Lincoln Traditional School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.