No rating

St. John Bosco Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 500 students

Our school is best known for academic excellence for the whole child.

Living in Phoenix

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $185,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,040.

Posted October 13, 2012

What an incredible experience we have had at SJB. The administration and teachers really respond to each child as an individual. The new assessment system is amazing! Ensuring academic growth in every child. The love and support on campus is contagious, not to mention an amazing safe, community all working towards the same goals.

Posted August 22, 2012

My 2 children feel loved at their school, and we know they are learning to be well-rounded in academics, faith, and friendship.

Posted August 21, 2012

St. John Bosco is an excellent school! There is a great sense of community because of the great teachers and incredible parent involvement. I would definitely recommend SJB to families looking for "more" for their child's education.

Posted June 18, 2012

St. John Bosco is an excellent school with our Catholic faith at the core and the dedication of highly qualified teachers and staff. Along with a quality education, our children are taught respect, generosity, and care for each other while building their own self-confidence and leadership. We love it!

Posted June 15, 2012

Our child just finished Kindergarten this year at SJB and we couldn't have been happier with the experience. Her teacher was dedicated, happy, spiritual and really cared about the well-being and learning of her students. Our child was challenged appropriately in all subject areas and was excited to go to school each day.

Posted June 14, 2012

I am updating my post from 2 years ago, because I am still thrilled with the education my younger kids are getting. I truly believe that both Catholic elementary and HS will help prepare my kids to better individuals all around. My daughter was accepted at both the schools she applied to. Her close friends/classmates are doing very well at the school she attends, as are her friends at the boys and girls high school. One semester out of SJB and her grades resulted in her making 1st Honor Roll. I am personally very pleased and happy my kids attend SJB. I love the small school environment, and I like that I am encouraged to be involved!

Posted June 12, 2012

St. John Bosco is a school in much need of an administration change and I agree that a child is so much more than a test score. With that said how can a childs needs really me met when they are cramming 35 kids in a class. There is no possible way that any child can thrive emotionally or academically. I felt that my children were not given a chance to thrive above their grade level. The school teaches staight to the middle of each grade. Nothing more and nothing less. If you have a child that you feel needs more academically this is not the school for you. Many families this yr had to go to the administration for different reasons and changes have not been made. Families are afraid to speak up but are afraid of retaliation towards their kids. As a teacher myself I don't think this is an environment that best suits my children.

Posted June 12, 2012

After reading some of the negative reviews, I find myself thankful for the experience that we have had at SJB. I taught in public school, so I know what else is out there. My children love school, are challenged academically, but more importantly, they are becomming great people. SJB doesn't "teach" them good character traits, they model it and expect it from Pre-K to 8th Grade. There is no doubt in my mind that my children will grow up to be well educated, good, and caring people because of their SJB foundation. The reason that I gave SJB 4 stars instead of 5 is because it doesn't currently have an asst. principal. I think they need one to help balance the administration and handle discipline issues. My child's class was one that had 35 students in it (not all classes are that big, some only have 25), and some of them needed a good "talking to" from the administration.

Posted May 31, 2012

St. John Bosco is a small, close knit, caring and nurturing community that supports students, families and staff. The rich catholic traditions are woven into the daily life of the students. I believe that another positive attribute is that children are disciplined with religious values intertwined. The faculty's focus is to develop the whole child with love and guidance to becoming a life long learner. I love that the teachers are dedicated to continue to improve the children's education through staff development. They are supported by the principal who shows great dedication to SJB.

Posted May 30, 2012

SJB for our family has everything we want for our children: quality teachers, academics, values, strong community and Catholic education. Our children love school and it shows year after year as they grow and develop. They are challenged academically, encouraged emotionally and supported entirely. The administration and teachers are all committed to meeting the needs of each child. We have not been disappointed. We know that when our children graduate they are going to be well prepared for high school and beyond. Take an opportunity to talk to other families. It is a dynamic school that offers both academics and Catholic values. If you are looking for a school that will take the time to get to know your child beyond their student number, look no further. We feel blessed to have our children be a part of this loving, supportive, thriving community.

Posted May 30, 2012

Our children are more than a test score. This learning community focuses on teaching the whole child. Excellence in academics is a high priority. So is faith and spiritual development. Test scores play a role in assessing learning. However, it saddens me as a parent to hear other parents placing so much emphasis on one aspect of their child's education (a single score from a test taken on one day. A tiny snapshot). This school's scores are competitive. The teachers are profoundly dedicated. Our children are truly cared for. A student is more than a "test score" - they are a complete person with spiritual, social, emotional, and intellectual needs. A great school provides more than a test score report. It addresses and meets all those needs. I'm pleased that my children are here. I recommend this school if you believe that your child is also more than a test score.

Posted May 24, 2012

St. John Bosco is preferable to public education, but not by much. This was not always the case, but sadly the school has been slipping the past few years. This can be evidenced by comparative standardized test scores, as well as how poorly many 8th grade students place as entering 9th graders. Math and science curriculum are mediocre at best. My child has friends in public school in the same grade level, and those students are working above what my Bosco kid is in these subjects. The only reason I keep him in Bosco is because I believe the religious integration brings a spiritual fulfillment not available at the public school. Based purely upon academics, and weighing the hefty cost for annual enrollment, I would search out other options. Tuition keeps climbing, quality of education decreases. The administration's response is to constantly solicit even more money from cash strapped families, change the quarterly grading system to a trimester system, and hand out license plate frames to help "publicize" Bosco because enrollment is on the decline. The diocese needs to step in and examine the situation at Bosco, and make some MUCH NEEDED administration changes.

Posted September 14, 2011

I was a student at Bosco, and I do not recommend this school for your child. Parents and teachers can say all they want about how great the school is, but what is really important is your child's thoughts. SJB suppresses free-thinking and creativity. Students are prevented from being who they really are and are transformed into the administrations vision of a perfect student. There are a very limited amount of ways to express yourself. Teachers are more focused on educating with discipline than they are by helping and encouraging. Students become afraid to go to their teachers for help with problems academically and socially. I had lost faith in my education and failed to understand how our education system is still a working one, but since I switched schools to a college preparatory, I have been doing better, I have been more social, and I have a better relationship with my teachers. My younger siblings agree as well. Take this as a tip from a student, because a student needs a proper education, which is not what you will find at SJB.

Posted July 30, 2011

Saint John Bosco is a wonderful caring community of parents, staff, and administrators. The teachers are well educated, effective, and care about the success of their students. The community is made up of many wonderful families, who are actively involved in making SJB one of the best schools around. Our kids are growing into academically excelling students who are emotionally and socially happy. Most importantly, they are becoming people with good character and strong moral beliefs.

Posted July 20, 2011

Nice small campus. High tution for the teaching capabilities. I feel they need more male teachers.I feel they need more quality teachers. I don't think bulling issues are not properly addressed. It's like (all) office staff is afraid to bring this issue up for fear of offending the wrong person and losing funds that they so greatly rely on. I don't think amount of homework should fall under quality of homework. There is too much for these kids a lot of the time especially at end of quarter when teachers haven't spent much time on it but to pass it through the system it's kinda pushed on the kids to get it done. I would just like to know how some of these folk are blind and rate this place 5 stars..first very few rate 5 star but thus place certainly is far from it. I give 2 at best. Dress code enforced is only for some not all. I think very unfair for occasional birthday snack when they mostly serve pizza. Mac & cheese, hot dogs all those carbs .but no ocassionsl birthday cake ? This is suppose to be a school nothing worse correct? Please address the bulling issues, give homework a bit of break add make teachers and more interesting and challenging Then maybe its worth $5000.yr.

Posted May 28, 2011

Great School, great learning environment, great parent involvement - St John Bosco is preparing our children to become responsible adults.

Posted April 4, 2011

It is a tough decision when choosing a school for our children. We have been very happy with the involvement of the teachers and administration with our family. They truly care about what is in the best interest of our child. We've already had two children graduate from here and our third child will be completing pre-k in May.

Posted April 3, 2011

The academic success of your child is not a factor for the teachers or the principle at St. John Bosco. The only interest the faculty has is in their own agenda which is money money. Do not waste your money or your childs education on the staff and faculty of St John Bosco. There is not a person there that actually cares about academic excellence or preparing your child for the challenges ahead. Instead the teachers are simply interested in putting as little effort into your childs education while collecting a paycheck. As a parent I am not only disappointed with the lack of direction displayed by the faculty but by the greedy nature of the school in genera.

Posted July 31, 2010

St. John Bosco is an excellent school for our family and our friends. Not every school will be a perfect fit for all kids, but this one is great for our family. I have found the academics to be very challenging for the kids, and I don t consider my kids average (but don t most parents ). Seriously, they are stimulated, challenged & doing much better than their cousins in public school and my other friends kids in public school. My children have a strong faith base, moral teachings and excellent academic stimulation what else could you ask for? How about incredible teachers and staff. The parent involvement is out of this world and contributes to a welcoming environment for other parents and children. Some of the other reviews on here don t seem fair either one or a few have had a bad experience, and I m sorry to hear that, but I feel the kids get enough stimulation and the services are outstanding.

Posted February 3, 2010

Our child has been attending SJB since 2004. We have found the school's faith-based curriculum very good and classroom teachers to be caring individuals. We feel our child is safe and loved at SJB. The school is dedicated to teaching the whole child - mind, body and spirit. We enjoy giving the school our time and talents. The administration and faculty are a joy to work with.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
German
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • John Hopkins Talent Search (2013)
  • Catholic Math League (2013)
  • Math Counts (2013)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Christian Service Scholars (3) (2013)
  • Christian Service Scholars (2) (2012)
  • Christian Service Scholars (2) (2011)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Science

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 3:05 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:45 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Kim Silver
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Science
  • Social justice
  • Technology
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Computer animation
  • Graphics
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Book/reading club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Monthly Q & A
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor