Posted June 28, 2015
I am reading some of these reviews and I am truly baffled. I am absolutely shocked that this amazing school only has 3 STARS!!!! I consider myself an involved parent that is on campus, in the classroom, and involved with many extracurricular activities. I can honestly say that I cannot imagine my children going to a better school. For us, this is the best!!! The curriculum is challenging, but not so intense that they are doing 3 hours of homework each night.. The community feel is absolutely amazing!!! I have never met a group of people so friendly and welcoming. The teachers are caring, yet have high expectations of their students. The new administration has been a welcome change. We have 2 children who have been at this school for a total of 8 years. They are both hard working, faithful, caring, giving, and confident. I also have to say this. This past school year, the new administration sent out a parent satisfactory survey. They shared the results at a "State of the School" meeting in the Spring. The overwhelming majority of the responses were highly satisfied in all categories. Everyone I chat with is highly satisfied with SJB and can't imagine sending their child (ren) anywhere else. Again I say, I am completely baffled as to how this amazing school only has 3 Stars! (Actually, I think a few disgruntled parents, which ALL schools have, have brought our score down). I HIGHLY recommend this school, and if the thought of paying tuition makes you nervous, there are SO many ways to make it work. Contact the school and they will help you. You will not regret it!!!

Posted June 25, 2015
We have been blessed to be a part of St. John Bosco for over ten years. The community is loving, the teachers are compassionate, and the administration is continually striving to provide the best education to the students. I can't say enough wonderful things about SJB.

Posted June 24, 2015
Catholic faith community centered around Christ and the Catholic faith. Warm teaching environment and community. Academics are impressive and test scores are high. Wonderful new administration and staff. So blessed to be at SBJ!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 24, 2015
The teachers at St. John Bosco are effective, kind, and loving. Each student is able to learn to their highest potential in a safe learning environment. We are blessed to be a part of the wonderful community.

Posted June 24, 2015
St. John Bosco is a community that I'm proud my children are a part of. We have been there through different administrations and I like the direction that the school is headed. My children are getting a great education and there are lots of opportunities outside of the classroom as for the students to grow personally and academically. When we started at SJB the public schools in our neighborhood were cutting libraries, music, art and PE. At St. John Bosco they have these and also Spanish starting in Kindergarten. When the kids get in the upper grades the students are really challenged to be hard workers and good students. This whole child approach creates a work ethic and kindness that will serve them well in high school, college and in their adult life. We are extremely pleased with the education that St. John Bosco provides and my children in involved in a community where they know they are cared for by everyone on campus.

Posted June 23, 2015
Great faith filled community! The school provides the right amount of math, english and catecism in the school!

Posted June 23, 2015
St. John Bosco is a fantastic place to learn!! My children have been attending there since they began Kindergarten. They are happy and proud to be students at SJB. They are challenged and their academic needs are consistently met by their teachers, support staff, and administration. As with any school, there a problems, however, the students, community, and above all, our Catholic Faith remain a priority. Our family was faced with moving out of state. When we weighed the pros and cons of leaving, we found that staying in Arizona so our kids could finish out their K-8 education at SJB was very important to us. Part of why we didn't move was to keep out kids at SJB. When compared with our public school friends, our kids are offered many more advantages like arts, music, and sports. Any kid would be lucky to be a student at SJB and new families are always welcomed!

St. John Bosco Catholic School 1

Posted June 22, 2015
Parents get that SJB needs money to support changes in technology but there's too much focus on fundraising, partying, and socializing, and less discussion on academic standards. Even though Catholic leaders tried to change the culture that Catholics are not all about wealth and money, this school has regressed. SJB needs more meetings and activities related to strengthening SJB's curriculum and less about fundraising and socializing! We need new leaders who are selfless and who are really concerned about the welfare of the students. Leaders who know what Catholic school culture should be, leaders who know what an excellent curriculum looks like, leaders who are open to feedback and leaders who know how to be good Catholics first. SJB Administration is not open to feedback and constructive criticism from parents who are concerned about their kids and the school. SJB is full of cliques, with parents acting like mean girls who buzz around like Queen Bees like they own stocks at SJB. Not a good role model for Catholic students. The moms club needs serious rebranding! Of the hundreds of parents, very few want to join the clubs because they are not seen as high value but just a source of politics and bullying. There seems to be poor leadership from the top to the to the Board level. The Administration still insists what they think is best for the school and with what's happening nothing is working. The people being forced by Administration to join that team are just warm bodies occupying positions are the same people this school just reshuffling from other clubs in the school - the same people over and over again. People who have no idea about strategies and vision are being placed to lead those discussions. Parents are wondering on what happened to SJB since the change in Administration. It used to be one of the best schools with a real Catholic feel and environment. Please parents out there, don't enroll your kids at this school! Just like one of the parent's comments here, we're praying and hoping that the diocese will notice and do something about it.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 22, 2015
Favoritism is rampant, favoring rich parents and their kids and whoever is part of the leader's circle.

St. John Bosco Catholic School 1

Posted June 22, 2015
We're so glad we're out of this school! Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this school to anyone. In the last couple of years it became so political, staff turn-over is high, and the curriculum is not strong. Good staff continues to leave, yet those should leave are still there. These circumstances keep both parents and students stuck! There's a few really competent and hardworking teachers and staff and from what I know they don't get adequate support from the Administration. The leadership team is very ineffective. They think promoting or brainwashing the public that the school through false advertising is still working. SJB doesn't feel like a Catholic school anymore, at least it's not like what it used to be. During the previous Administration (before 2012) there was so much love at SJB. You could feel the love as soon as you enter the school vicinity through to the emails they sent to parents. Recently, it's been all about the wealthy and whoever is part of leader’s circle. Mind you, he's not apologetic about it. He seems to flaunt how he's friends with the rich and the famous in the community. If you're not rich or part of his circle, you will not get the attention or an immediate response to your concerns. What happened to the basic Catholic values? If you file a complaint, you are labeled as being judgmental or a gossiper. He has even included admonishments in his sermons to lash out at parents who've complained about the school. Parents who provide positive reviews conversely are part of his circle. What happened to the Catholic values of being compassionate to others and for the poor? There are parents and single parents who don’t have the extra time to volunteer at school because they work hard and spend extra hours to be able to afford Catholic private school for their children. These parents are not heard but are shunned because they don’t volunteer enough. Children from wealthy families have private tutors or after school lessons in Math, Science and English that’s why they excel in school. The Administration must stop claiming that they have gifted or smart students because SJB has a competitive curriculum. Students who have parents who pay extra money to ensure their kids are not left behind in terms of academics know they cannot depend at SJB alone or their kids will be lag behind.

16035 S 48th St., Phoenix, AZ  85048
Last modified St. John Bosco Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. John Bosco Catholic School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 147 reviews. Top