Develops grit: Agree

Posted August 30, 2015
yes but for the wrong reasons -- persistence in dealing with unfair teachers, problem students

St. John Bosco Catholic School 1

Posted August 30, 2015
The Administration is terribly ineffective and insensitive. They do not help resolve conflicts or issues among students (e.g., bullying, harassment). It is not a welcoming community. Some of the teachers are great but majority are judgmental -- quick to blame or yell at student. The culture definitely does not align with strong Catholic values and respect

St. John Bosco Catholic School 1

Posted July 29, 2015
Although the school says it is there for all students it is clearly not. The administration and the math specialist are only worried about the high math students. I learned about kids being tested at an evening event from other parents. The school did not even tell us about these "tests." Apparently they will have special classes for this handful of students in each grade to give them more, higher math concepts. I thought the math specialist was out to help all students not just the chosen few. Other reviews mention certain circles of parents that get all of the attention, this seems to be true. Worried about all the kids that are just "average."

Posted July 23, 2015
We have had our kids at St. John Bosco for over 10 years. We have been extremely happy with the curriculum, community and faith formation. It's hard to know how well one's children are doing until they leave the school. One of our kids graduated a few years ago (the others are still at SJB), and she is doing very well. She is excelling in an all honors program at a Catholic high school. This is due to the excellent study skills and preparation she received at SJB. I highly recommend this school to anyone who wants a challenging academic environment combined with a warm and supportive community. Teachers and parents really care at SJB.

Posted July 10, 2015
We love this school! We have had our children attending St. John Bosco for 6 years and we will not consider going anywhere else. Our children have flourished in all areas - academically, socially and personally. The community is outstanding, gathering in prayer and support for anyone that needs it. I have never experienced any problems with cliques and have felt welcomed by everyone on campus. I feel like I can approach anyone on campus from administrators, to teachers, to parents. My children have also made some amazing lifelong friends. The test scores are high and only continue to get better. Teachers and administrators continue to develop new programs for more targeted learning for each level of students (I know because my children are directly effected). All of our teachers have cared a great deal about our individual students. SJB students go on to great high schools and colleges. We are not a wealthy family and we make sacrifices to send our children to this school. We have never felt like we don't belong or like we aren't valued as members of the community. I have asked my children and they tell me they cannot imagine going to a school where they can't talk about Jesus, pray with their class and for their friends publicly, or go to Mass with their friends and teachers. To us, that is just as important as academics. SJB provides a well-rounded education that we know will contribute to our children becoming well-rounded, well-formed adults. We really do love this school.

Posted June 28, 2015
I am reading some of these reviews and I am truly baffled. I am absolutely shocked that this amazing school only has 3 STARS!!!! I consider myself an involved parent that is on campus, in the classroom, and involved with many extracurricular activities. I can honestly say that I cannot imagine my children going to a better school. For us, this is the best!!! The curriculum is challenging, but not so intense that they are doing 3 hours of homework each night.. The community feel is absolutely amazing!!! I have never met a group of people so friendly and welcoming. The teachers are caring, yet have high expectations of their students. The new administration has been a welcome change. We have 2 children who have been at this school for a total of 8 years. They are both hard working, faithful, caring, giving, and confident. I also have to say this. This past school year, the new administration sent out a parent satisfactory survey. They shared the results at a "State of the School" meeting in the Spring. The overwhelming majority of the responses were highly satisfied in all categories. Everyone I chat with is highly satisfied with SJB and can't imagine sending their child (ren) anywhere else. Again I say, I am completely baffled as to how this amazing school only has 3 Stars! (Actually, I think a few disgruntled parents, which ALL schools have, have brought our score down). I HIGHLY recommend this school, and if the thought of paying tuition makes you nervous, there are SO many ways to make it work. Contact the school and they will help you. You will not regret it!!!

Posted June 25, 2015
We have been blessed to be a part of St. John Bosco for over ten years. The community is loving, the teachers are compassionate, and the administration is continually striving to provide the best education to the students. I can't say enough wonderful things about SJB.

Posted June 24, 2015
Catholic faith community centered around Christ and the Catholic faith. Warm teaching environment and community. Academics are impressive and test scores are high. Wonderful new administration and staff. So blessed to be at SBJ!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 24, 2015
The teachers at St. John Bosco are effective, kind, and loving. Each student is able to learn to their highest potential in a safe learning environment. We are blessed to be a part of the wonderful community.

Posted June 24, 2015
St. John Bosco is a community that I'm proud my children are a part of. We have been there through different administrations and I like the direction that the school is headed. My children are getting a great education and there are lots of opportunities outside of the classroom as for the students to grow personally and academically. When we started at SJB the public schools in our neighborhood were cutting libraries, music, art and PE. At St. John Bosco they have these and also Spanish starting in Kindergarten. When the kids get in the upper grades the students are really challenged to be hard workers and good students. This whole child approach creates a work ethic and kindness that will serve them well in high school, college and in their adult life. We are extremely pleased with the education that St. John Bosco provides and my children in involved in a community where they know they are cared for by everyone on campus.

16035 S 48th St., Phoenix, AZ  85048
Last modified St. John Bosco Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. John Bosco Catholic School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 169 reviews. Top