St. John Bosco Catholic School 1

Posted April 02, 2015
I can't tell you what little regard I have for a school that keeps teachers on faculty who have an inability to interact with students in a personable and Catholic manner. The administration fully acknowledges "personality" problems with these teachers. The parents are lulled into the idea that these teachers are something to be endured rather than expect more for our tuition and from our school. After having personally been on the receiving end of a teacher's ire over calling her out on a grading error on her part (that she flatly refused to acknowledge when my child tried speaking with her), I can say the stories the students tell are spot on. The grade was fixed, but not before I saw first hand what my kid experiences daily. It clouds what overall is a good faculty, and what should be a good educational experience. The behavior is something that would never be tolerated at a public school in the Kyrene district. Why it's embraced at the Catholic school, where it goes against the school's mission statement, is beyond me. Diocese, please do your job and fix this.
11 people found this helpful

Posted February 16, 2015
I am so very thankful for SJB. My son has been attending since first grade and is now in third grade. He is excited to go to school and is happy when he comes home. This is a great change from his public school experience. We have attended both the Kyrene public school and the other main private school in this area and SJB by far exceeds both! One of the main reasons, outside of the academics, is the kindness and caring school environment which I believe sets SJB apart form other schools. The children are taught to care for one another and those values are enforced by the teachers and staff. This school is a true blessing and I am so thankful we found our way there.

Posted January 13, 2015
Hello, I am a grandparent and volunteer at the school on a weekly bases. My own children went to public school as we couldn't afford private school. I did attend Catholic schools myself. I feel because of my own schooling and business background I can be an impartial voice. I have watched the students and faculty over several years and see a caring environment with everyone's well being at the heart of everything that is done. I am amazed at how the students treat each other with respect and care. The whole child is developed at this school. Their ability to speak in front of groups, handle challenges could be a model for any business. In the future you are going to have to be able to sell yourself in the work force. SJB is teaching their students how to be a complete person in society and this will help them succeed as adults. I tell business leaders on a regular bases that if SJB students are the norm then our country will be in very good hands in the future. I am very proud and privileged to be part of such a great school.

Posted December 08, 2014
I started my first child at SJB 5 years ago and now I have 3 there. I have watched this school go through an amazing transformation over the last 2 years since new leadership have arrived on campus. Dr Axman and Mr Watson are fantastic and have done more to connect with the kids and the parents than the previous administration ever did. Father Bob is also a Godsend bringing a renewed sense of spirituality and Catholicism while also going out of his way to foster the relationships with the original 4 parishes that started the school. Sure, we've had teachers that we've liked better than others, but our kids have always progressed and outscored their peers on the standardized tests. The addition of the math coach over the last 2 years has definitely had a positive impact on all 3 of my kids' math scores and comfort with numbers. There remain some communication issues between administration/teachers and parents that I'm sure exist at any school, but overall, being able to have our kids in a Catholic environment every day and benefit from the blessings that provides is really great. We fully expect to see our 5 kids graduate from SJB.

Posted October 28, 2014
Since the change of the Pastor and the Administration improvement has been seen in: student interest, excelling grades, teacher team work, investment in the students, increased enrollment.

Posted October 21, 2014
Great school. The parent involvement is fabulous. There are high standards for student behavior and performance and the leadership has been greatly enhanced in the last 2 years. I am really surprised by some of the comments below

Posted August 14, 2014
Great School! The faculty and staff are very welcoming. Even with all the new changes, I like the direction the school is moving in. The new leadership is already showing good results in implementing the newest educational technology. AND what thrill that each day my child is excited to go to school.

St. John Bosco Catholic School 1

Posted July 24, 2014
New Administration is very poor and no patience to listen to small kids and parents problems. My kids suffered a lot at the elementary and the kindergarten is terrible. Some parents are too involved into the school and the other kids suffers a lot due to their favoritism and their involvement at the school. Administration has partiality in resolving problems and you are not welcome to make such complaints.
7 people found this helpful

St. John Bosco Catholic School 2

Posted June 02, 2014
If you have a special needs child, read further. My family has been at this school for several years. Love the community spirit of families, and the faith based learning. However, I disagree with the information posted by the school that this school is able to assist students with special needs. My child has a physical disability recognized under the ADA. Administration is reminded annually that my child has a physical disability, and it is duly noted on the health record, yet there has annually never been ANY collaboration whatsoever with administration, health office and faculty to provide assistance. Instead, I have to contact each and every teacher to discuss the situation individually, hoping to get some small assistance. Weeks into the school year, one or more has forgotten about the special circumstances. Grades are impacted, tears are shed, but we have accepted this as the unfortunate result of not having gone with a public school where these situations are handled in a structured method by law. If the new administration wants to make an impact, they need to do a far better job in a COLLABORATIVE effort to assist students with special needs.
4 people found this helpful

Posted May 28, 2014
The new administration is the BEST thing to happen to the school. They are making changes and implementing new programs from technology to language arts and computerized assessment testing for a far more accurate read on how individual students are performing -- SJB is the only Catholic school doing this. We have been at the school for a few years and I've never seen such innovative thinking AND making things happen at the curriculum level -- this is refreshing and impressive for a new administration that has only been in place for one year. It's human nature to resist change. This is truly the best time to be at St. John Bosco Catholic School.

St. John Bosco Catholic School
16035 S 48th St., Phoenix, AZ  85048
Last modified St. John Bosco Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. John Bosco Catholic School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 78 reviews. Top