PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (18 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (18 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (14 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (12 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (21 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (16 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (11 responses)

Posted May 26, 2016
Thank you to Nurse Lisa, Mrs. Debons, Ms. Lara, Mrs. Watson, Mr. & Mrs. Byrnes, and Mrs. Jiminez for your kindness and impact on our children.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted May 26, 2016
This administration is letting many of the wonderful teachers of SJB go. The teachers were the heart and soul of this school. Teachers such as Mr. & Mrs. Byrnes, Mrs. Hernandez, and Mrs. Debons are some of the best teachers we have had. This administration has done nothing to show compassion, caring, and empathy particularly in how they have treated the staff. Shameful!

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted May 13, 2016
The kids at SJB are wonderful to each other! There is a real sense of community!

St. John Bosco Catholic School 2

Posted May 03, 2016
We have a great school but the new principal has the whole school in turmoil. We have lost 12 or more teachers because they were fired or refused to come back. I would not consider sending your children to this school until the current administration has been replaced.

St. John Bosco Catholic School 4

Posted April 26, 2016
It’s a shame the new principal is getting backlash for doing her job: taking the lead and running the school – instead of running it on autopilot or worse, into the ground, which is sadly the state the school has gotten to over the past several years as enrollment AND retention continued to decline. Staffing decisions are hard, and it’s understandable the relationships families have built with teachers over the years. But logic, students’ best interests and survival of the school have to come into play here. It’s no secret many Catholic schools are in trouble everywhere, not just SJB and not just in AZ. If they’re not shutting their doors completely, smart administrators are making serious changes to compete academically while retaining strong communities and faith-filled environments, the hallmarks of Catholic schools. Our family supports SJB’s administration for their business sense and courage to head the school in a new, necessary direction.

Posted April 21, 2016
Thank you teachers for your dedication to the students. Too bad the new admin doesn't see it.

Posted April 21, 2016
I am currently a high school student who attended SJB for numerous years. SJB is where I grew up. It was my home. I became the person I am today because of the people that surrounded me. My great friends and the caring teachers especially. I grew up surrounded by a great community who truly cared about me. But this community is being torn apart. Why should I care, you might ask, SJB is a part of my past now, right? Wrong. I owe so much to the school for what it has done for me. I write this hoping that the new principal, or someone else of importance at the school reads this. Here is a review of some of the teachers who I particularly believe shouldn’t be asked to leave, although I really believe that none of them should be. 1. Mr. and Mrs. Byrnes. The Byrnes’ are amazing people, and amazing teachers. Mr. Byrnes, although quite daunting at first, is one of the most sincere people I have ever met. He taught us morals in class, along with social studies and religion. I would like to know what he has done to deserve being asked to leave. Same with Mrs. Byrnes. First of all, she’s a hilarious woman full of great jokes. She made us smile while learning in math class! The Byrnes’ have dedicated so much of their lives to SJB, it is absolutely cruel to force them to leave. Plus, firing BOTH of them? Think about how wrong that is! 2. Ms. Whalen. I’ll admit, I wasn’t the biggest Ms. Whalen fan while I was at school, but only because she was a hard teacher. She was one of the most dedicated people ever! She lives and breathes what she teaches! She is so passionate about science! And she is also the best teacher I have ever had at SJB, she prepared me so much for high school! She is truly an amazing person. 3. Mrs. Avila. Mrs. Avila is one of the nicest people I have ever met. Ask any kid in 5th grade and up who their favorite teacher is. Chances are that it will be Mrs. Avila. Her class is so fun and awesome! It was the highlight of my day every time I had Spanish! I also learned a lot from her class, and am doing very well in Spanish. She prepared me for high school as well! Maybe I’m more passionate about these particular teachers because I had them for two years instead of one… I don’t know. But what I do know is that these and all of the other teachers don’t deserve this. Let our teachers stay.

St. John Bosco Catholic School 1

Posted April 20, 2016
the school is going down hill and I would not send your kids here. Find another school.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted April 20, 2016
The teachers are very effective, however considering the principal just fired 13 teachers, I would have to say next year will be very ineffective.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted April 20, 2016
Thank you to the teachers of SJB without you the school is simply a building. I am saddened that the new administration did not take the time to find out that you are what has made the school what is was. There will be no history and no reason for my children to return to what was their second home for so many years.

16035 S 48th St., Phoenix, AZ  85048
Last modified St. John Bosco Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8