No rating

Pardes Jewish Day School

Private | K-8 | 292 students

strong secular academic program with a strong Judaic studies program

Living in Phoenix

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $98,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $800.

Posted July 10, 2014

DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE! Despite the upcoming move to the former King David/Jess Shwartz campus next the JCC, do not fall into the Pardes trap. They are still the same old unprofessional and incompetent excuse for a "school" that they have always been. Even if your "close friend" tells you how much they love Pardes, try to ask them deep level questions about the content, strategy and curriculum that Pardes uses to "educate" the children and you will get lots of double-speak. The fact is that Pardes has perfected lip-service and has no substance for the fundamentals of learning. Your children will run free with no supervision and you will be told this is "healthy". However, you will not feel that way when your child is perpetually bullied and the administration blames your child and then tells you they have emotional problems and should be medicated. If you want your child to have a proper education in Arizona, look into the new charter schools and send your children to Hebrew school. Pardes is a disaster in every way.

Posted April 17, 2014

My child is in 3rd grade and her use of Hebrew Is really coming together. It's wonderful!

Posted March 15, 2014

My daughter is in 6th grade, has attended the school since 3rd grade. The school provides a well rounded education, 1:1 support whenever necessary. I receive emails from the teachers at least once a month, with curriculum updates and more frequently if my child is having difficulty. The principle is forthright in changes being made. They have an excellent anti-bullying program, after school sports and other activities. We are very fortunate to be able to attend, and there is a good bit of additional funding for scholarships, so anybody who wants a dual Judaic/secular education can afford it. Highly recommend!!

Posted March 14, 2014

We love everything about Pardes! Our son has thrived since being at the school and we can't wait for our younger son to go to attend Pardes as well. The academic curriculum is top-notch and the individual attention the students get from teachers is unparalleled. No class is more than 15 kids! Pardes integrates Jewish studies and values into everything they do. It is an environment that fosters a passion for learning, self-confidence, creativity, compassion and growth. We can't say enough good things about Pardes!

Posted March 14, 2014

As a parent of a child who attended public school and transferred to PJDS, we truly appreciate and value the PJDS staff. While in public school, a hand full of children were not fortunate enough to participate in an early education program prior to kindergarten; this was not an issue at PJDS. As a result of the extensive public school resources dedicated to those children who lacked basic skills, the majority of children started to slip through the cracks. My son struggled to stay stimulated in a 25+ class size. PJDS on the other hand is blessed with smaller class sizes (i.e. 15 kids in this year s class). The teachers are able to personalize their teaching techniques based on the individual child's needs. Teachers partner with parent(s) to educate the children, focusing on both Jewish and secular learning. Pardes maximizes many of the community's strengths by including Rabbi's, parent professionals and community resources to create a robust-learning rich environment, second to none. We feel blessed to send our child to this wonderful school and look forward to sending our younger child in the future.

Posted March 14, 2014

We moved to Phoenix three years ago and were interested in a school that provided a well rounded education that emphasized both academics and value based learning. Pardes provides both a Jewish and secular education that is challenging yet allows our kids to be kids- not robots or mini- adults. Our kids love going to school and feel as though they are part of a community. There may be a lot of 'competition' out there but I haven't found a school that does it better. My husband and I are both professionals and value strong academics. If standarized test scores are a measure of academic success (as some might think) we know first hand that Pardes excels. However, we know that the real value in our school is the confidence it instills even in our youngest kids and the love of learning that hopefully will continue grow with them As for the teachers and administration- I can't imagine a more responsive, caring, creative group of educators. We feel very fortunate to be part of this community.

Posted February 21, 2014

I really can not believe this school is still open! Why have you smart, educated, caring Jewish parents not realized yet that you are selling your children incredibly short. There are so many other excellent options now that really do deliver on the promises they make as opposed to the false lipservice you get at Pardes. The curriculum barely exists and the Teachers are not even held accountable for following what little direction they have. The leadership is way out of touch with the current education climate (which is HIGHLY competitive) and the gossip still runs rampant! Gossip guides all decision-making at Pardes which makes them erratic and subscribe to a CYA / blame the child (and parents) mentality. DO NOT WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY ON PARDES. Your child will not be able to survive in the public or charter schools if you keep your child at Pardes past kindergarten.

Posted September 11, 2013

Yesterday morning, I found my children (4th and 2nd grades) reciting passages from a Midsummer Night's Dream to each other. Seriously, Shakespeare. This is one of the many, many things my husband and I love about Pardes. We wanted a nurturing environment, while still providing a rigorous secular education. Pardes does both beautifully. The administration and staff are warm and welcoming. Our once shy daughter has blossomed into a confident, thoughtful little girl. Our son, who came to Pardes with social challenges, has thrived at Pardes (both academically and socially). We are absolutely thrilled with our experience at Pardes.

Posted September 10, 2013

Our children have been at Pardes for 4+ years now, and we couldn't be happier with their experience there. All of their teachers have been deeply dedicated, caring, and kind. Several teachers have been truly *outstanding* educators - the kind who develop a lifelong love of learning, and who have an amazing positive impact on your child's self-esteem. The entire staff is equally dedicated. There isn't a staff member there who doesn't greet my children, by name, with a smile every day. The class sizes are small (15 and 16 students this year for us), which is incredible and allows for so much individualized attention to your child. The environment is warm, all are made to feel welcome, and the children learn to support and encourage each other. All in all, Pardes is a happy place. My children love school and look forward to going every day!

Posted June 12, 2013

We have been at Pardes for 3 years and have 2 children enrolled in the school. Our children are excited to go to school everyday! They are receiving a wonderful secular and religious education. The teachers are kind, knowledgeable, and make learning fun. Class sizes are small, so teachers are able to differentiate instruction to meet each students's individual needs. Pardes also works hard on teaching children values and how to be a good person. There is a wonderful community feel for the children and parents.

Posted June 11, 2013

My family moved to the Phoenix area in August and decided to enroll our 9 year old daughter at Pardes. It was a wonderful decision for us. It was a nurturing environment, wonderful curriculum. We were crazy impressed with the teachers. We really liked the reading program. The creativity with everyday learning was amazing! Super happy with our decision. Our daughter is thriving!

Posted June 11, 2013

Pardes Jewish Day School is an amazing school. We recently moved to town and enrolled our two children and they thrived academically and socially. The administration and teachers went above and beyond to nurture our children. The academics were vigorous and changing. The individualize education that our children received was impressive. I would recommend Pardes without hesitation!

Posted June 10, 2013

We have had children at Pardes for over 6 years now and love the school more each year. We have the financial means to go to any of the private schools in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area, but believe in Pardes and the wonderful secular and religious education our children are receiving. My children are happy to go to school and look forward to seeing their friends and teachers. I have no doubt that we are in the right place and that my children are getting the best education possible and learning how to become responsible young adults!

Posted April 19, 2013

Its hard to believe that Pardes is still in existence as it continues to under-perform by promising way more then it can deliver. The administration has its "shpeel" down pat and persists in luring well-meaning Jewish parents into it's doors. However, when the children can't read or understand math, they blame the child and say they have a learning disability and send them off to a very expensive outside tutoring center. Please stop and think - why do so many Pardes students have "learning" problems???? The answer is: their lack of a good education due to Pardes' lack of leadership and poorly trained Teachers who have free reign to teach or not teach whatever they feel like since they do not follow a standard curriculum and have no accountability to any higher governing body. PARENTS BEWARE!!! This is not a normal Jewish Day School that you would find on either coast - it is basically day care.

Posted November 5, 2012

Since our son began attending just a few months ago, we have not only watched him blossom into a confidant child but also can see a growing sense of self. The whole school is a support system for every family. We are better parents because of the interest Pardes has taken in us and our child. He so happy everyday with the bonds I am sure he will take with him for life. In kindergarten the average reading level is at second grade; but the most important key to success the school instills is that the children feel proud of themselves and their success as well as setting examples for each other. As a Doctorate student myself, I am able to pinpoint these exact skill sets being introduced at this young age which are imperative for life success. Unfortunately, the previous unfavorable comment seems to based from a negative emotional reaction than from rationally related information.

Posted November 5, 2012

My son is only starting in Pardes as a Kindergartener but he as already come out of his shell thanks to the teachers and staff there. Everyone who works there takes time to include me and my son in activities that he would enjoy. My son has more confidence and spirit than I could of imagined. But more than anything he looks forward to getting up and going to school. That says alot about the school and staff in itself.

Posted November 2, 2012

One more thing. To the staff who wrote about Pardes's ranking in the John's Hopkins Talent search - one student scored the highest on that test who happened to be at Pardes. However, that student has long since left and moved on to live up to his potential elsewhere. Yet another pathetic attempt by the staff to stretch the truth about the quality of education at Pardes - just more smoke and mirrors. Such an embarrassment.

Posted August 15, 2012

Now that we are beginning our 5th year at pardes, we decided to share sentiments towards the school. Let me start by noting two of the "baby sitters" we have used have been Pardes graduates. Both these amazing kids, after having graduated top of the class in high school are now attending prestigious colleges (Duke and George Washington). And both clearly say that they credit Pardes for their confidence, their education and their ability to adjust to varous people and situations. This is why we chose Pardes. We have watched and experienced the Pardes administration and faculty bending over backwards to address all aspects of academics, taking into consideration any child who may may need more attention in one subject or another. The campus is nurturing and our children are flourishing. Let me note that upon reading other reivews, we felt proud. And when we stumbled upon one that seemed so very angry, all we can say to that disgrutled individual, is: It is impossible to please the impossible to please. In conclusion, we believe wholeheartedly that Pardes offers an expectional learning environment.

Posted August 13, 2012

As a parent of two children at Pardes I couldn't be happier with my experience. My children are two very different personalities and the small class size and individualized attention allows them to get exactly what each needs to thrive. Additionally, I am impressed with how well the leadership staff selects the "right" teacher for my child's specific needs. I am also reassured by the flexibility in the learning structure that places no boundaries in subjects where my child excels while making support available in specific areas where one may need it. Pardes is a top choice in Jewish and secular private education.

Posted August 13, 2012

As a father of two children, I am thrilled with the Pardes community and the secular and jewish education my children are receiving at Pardes. Pardes has instilled a love of learning in my children. My children have benefitted from the individual attention and support they have received from their teachers as evidenced by the fact that they both tested in the top percentiles in all of the same standardized tests administered to students at other highly regarded private schools in the valley. By the time my children reached first grade, my children could recite all basic daily and shabbat prayers, routinely asked insightful questions about their judaism and are now eagerly hoping for a first trip to Israel. As an added bonus, the idea of being a "mensch" (a good person) permeates everything that is done at the school. I highly recommend Pardes.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Gifted specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Security personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Hebrew
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Jill Kessler
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • PARDES
  • PEJE
Fax number
  • (480) 991-9405

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• None
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

• Creative writing
  • Dance
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

7 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year
Applications received for the 2012-2013 school year
Students typically come from these schools
JCC

School-based aid
Outside scholarships
Tax credits

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
PCDS