School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I like ACCLAIM with my whole heart. I am a social-justice minded person who wants the world to be better than it is. I believe academics are important but I believe it is more important to treat people well. I have worked at ACCLAIM for nine years, since 2009, and all of my interactions with students have been an opportunity to learn, for me and for them. The school is not perfect and the last few years have been very difficult because of staffing challenges. I am part of the interview team that has been hiring new staff over the last two years and we are doing all we can to find staff who will be dedicated to our students and our school. At this school I have learned what it means to persevere, what it means to pursue excellence and what it means to accept people how they are and make choices that always lead to a better place than where I currently find myself
July 28, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (9 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Really! How can this happen when teachers are yelled at or put down for speaking up. I started working there this year and I left. This is worst that jail. I notice how teachers would talk behind her back and making comments about her way of trying to control our eating habits. I even heard how teachers came back because they got used to have Friday's off. Lady open your eyes none of your teachers respect you. Like they say is just a job and a check.

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

the kids here are well behaved. i think the principal is a bully.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Im pretty sure they would be effective but they dont last long here.

Amount of homework: Disagree

the students dont have a teacher, so no homework can be assigned

My son is currently attending ACCLAIM but not for much longer. His teacher quit at the beginning of the year and he has gong without a teacher for two months and is now failing! The prinicpal Mrs. Powers refuses to meet with me or other parents in regards to this. She says she is too busy teaching the 8th grade class because they dont have a teacher either. I even requested to meet afterschool to not interrupt class but no one is ever available. THis website helped me choose this school, I chose to ignore the bad reviews, I should have never of done that. They were accurate.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Teachers are always great! The director just doesn't know how to treat them and disrespecting and talking down them is not the way!

The school changed this year. The secretaries are nice and helpful. There are no substitutes in 7th or 8th grade and there are teachers back from last year and before. The teachers that are new this year are good teachers and they make class interesting. The food is better too.

The school has a lot of rules that are different from the other schools but the teachers help kids feel like the rules are there to help them learn

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted July 28, 2016

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
ACCLAIM teachers, staff and administration really care about the students. We work hard to learn new strategies to teach students and help them love learning. We also make a great effort to talk to students about the virtues and help them practice those character traits at school.
Posted July 28, 2016

Last modified Acclaim Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.