School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I like ACCLAIM with my whole heart. I am a social-justice minded person who wants the world to be better than it is. I believe academics are important but I believe it is more important to treat people well. I have worked at ACCLAIM for nine years, since 2009, and all of my interactions with students have been an opportunity to learn, for me and for them. The school is not perfect and the last few years have been very difficult because of staffing challenges. I am part of the interview team that has been hiring new staff over the last two years and we are doing all we can to find staff who will be dedicated to our students and our school. At this school I have learned what it means to persevere, what it means to pursue excellence and what it means to accept people how they are and make choices that always lead to a better place than where I currently find myself
July 28, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Teachers are always great! The director just doesn't know how to treat them and disrespecting and talking down them is not the way!

The school changed this year. The secretaries are nice and helpful. There are no substitutes in 7th or 8th grade and there are teachers back from last year and before. The teachers that are new this year are good teachers and they make class interesting. The food is better too.

The school has a lot of rules that are different from the other schools but the teachers help kids feel like the rules are there to help them learn

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted July 28, 2016

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
ACCLAIM teachers, staff and administration really care about the students. We work hard to learn new strategies to teach students and help them love learning. We also make a great effort to talk to students about the virtues and help them practice those character traits at school.
Posted July 28, 2016

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

The effectiveness of the teachers can be seen in the student test scores. ACCLAIM students get two State mandated tests and five reading and math program tests every year. On the State tests the students do so well that ACCLAIM has earned a B rating from the State, meaning most kids approach, meet or exceed grade level or improve their English-language proficiency. The reading and math tests show the students continually moving from one academic level to another: from Urgent to Intervention, from Intervention to Approaches and from Approaches to Meets or Exceeds the benchmark. While the students take the tests, the teachers do the daily work of organizing lessons that students enjoy and understand. There are new teachers every year, due to the extreme teacher shortage in Arizona but every effort is made to find teachers who love our students and our school environment. And when the right teachers are found, teachers like Mrs. Bustos, Mrs. Walther and Ms. Piceno not only are the teachers effective, but they help develop school spirit and create joy.

Amount of homework: Agree

ACCLAIM gives homework in math and reading only to 3rd-8th graders. The students are in school for 7 1/2 hours. They are expected to read at least 30 minutes at home and complete some practice math problems. At the end of the day, that's about 8 1/2 hours of learning per school day. On the weekends students should read a lot more because they have more time, but ACCLAIM believes the families need time to be together and giving lots of homework for nights and weekends can take that time away.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school is a safe place to learn and the students are the number 1 reason for that. They respond to the expectations of the teachers and administration because those expectations are valuable to the students themselves. They want to learn, they want to be good people, they want to live a valuable life. ACCLAIM helps them do that by being able to come to school and learn instead of being afraid or worried.

ACCLAIM is an established west Phoenix educational institution. Entire families have started in Kindergarten and been promoted through 8th grade, siblings, cousins, aunts and uncles, and even children of former students. Because the school has been around for so long the programs are well developed and the administration has been with the school since the very first day. That means something very important because the school has a B rating with the State of Arizona, 400+ students year after year, and is now celebrating its 20th year. That must mean the Director, Melanie Powers, leading a really great team of educators!

Virtues what virtues. If a school is going to say they have a values plan it should start with the adminstrative staff. If it doesn't start there how can the teachers and students show those virtues. Administration is more focused on dress code, what food is being eaten and talking down to people than what the real focus of a school should be educating the students. Making sure teachers have the supplies they need to teach the standards. How this school has run for so long is only through lies and deceiving parents.

Last modified Acclaim Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.