Alhambra Traditional School

Public | K-8 | 740 students

Sweep tile

Posted October 12, 2007

The principal is constantly visible on campus and very involved - and even sat on the dunk tank chair for field day sporting floaties and flippers. Not only is parent involvement appreciated, it's expected. Homework is to be checked and signed daily and we can walk into the classroom whenever we want. This school is the most fantastic thing that ever happened to our children. We drive them 30 minutes each direction to get there and it is so worth it! The use of the smart boards in the classroom is so fantastic. The teachers have instant feedback as to how well the students are understanding the lessons, and the kids pay attention because they are interacting with their own transmitters. I cannot say enough great things about this school!

Posted September 7, 2007

I love this school! It is comforting to know that my children are getting the education that provides a good foundation for their future.

Posted August 27, 2007

By far this school is going in all the wrong directions, admin is awful, the principle is down right unfair, and parent involvement is unwanted. Children are overloaded and have not life after school from grades 5-8. Policies are being broken all over the place and nothing is being done about it. U will see burn out r around 10 grade. Let your kids be kids and have fun with education. There is no fun at this school. Parents whom are involved watch out. This school is not the same at all and that is the plan. This school is open to all, but at what expense, just for the numbers to be pushed up. I will never send or recommand anyone to send their children here every again. Admin undfair and unjust. Bad location as well.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 18, 2007

My children were promoted out of ATS 3 and 5 years ago, and they are still benefiting from their education there. They were not only challenged academically, but they were also taught how to study and apply their knowledge. Our oldest graduated first in her high school class, and credits her success to the skills she learned at ATS. Our youngest is entering his senior year of high school, and his teachers cannot stop talking about how much he brings to the classroom environment - again due to his years at ATS. I recommend this school often - especially to those parents whose children need to be challenged academically.

Posted June 5, 2007

I loved and hated ATS at different times. Coming in and not starting at a young age is very tough. I recommend putting your child in at a young age. I started in 4th grade and had a hard time with the spalding method. Although the work is hard and you get a lot of homework I have realized it really does give you the upper leg when applying somewhere else. If you pay attention in class you will do great. If you don't get it the teachers are always willing to help. Extracurricular activities are great Music,P.E,and Art teach you a lot. If you are not a driven student and love to push yourself , I wouldn't go. Even though ATS gave me a great preparation for my new school, I wouldn't go again with all the groups who are harsh.

Posted March 19, 2007

I have 2 students at ATS. My oldest has attended for 7 years. My youngest for 5 years. The teachers are very good and I am amazed at all they are able to teach in any given year. The principal is easy to talk to and knows my kids by name. ATS has a small school feel - only about 600 students. My boys both can memorize long poems easily because this started with a short poem in Kindergarten and grew as the years went on. They love reading and math. They do not feel that they cannot be kids there as others have reviewed. They don't like the dress code, but they don't complain about it much. It is better than uniforms. My younger son is ADD and ATS has handled it great. The teachers work with me to come up with solutions that work. I love ATS and staff!

Posted February 26, 2007

The only difference from Ats to their other schools is that students are now doing both State req. and Ats Requirements. Overload! Uncooperative Principle and Dist. Superintendent.. Don't send your kids here!

Posted February 26, 2007

My child began ATS this school year as a second grader. The difference in the rigor and quality of education was tremendous. The expectation that all children are capable of learning at a high level is pervasive and interwoven throughout the academics and the extracurricular activities. The principal knows all of my children by name and greats parents openly. This school is an opportunity for children and families to focus on their education and a place where kids love learning. I look forward to all of my children having the opportunity to be part of the ATS family in the coming years.

Posted February 24, 2007

I am a parent of 2 going to ats. The teachers are very uncooperative and don't teach very well.

Posted January 8, 2007

Hi I am a student at this school and I am in the seventh grade. The new principal is not as good as the old one, but I do think that she is trying, and I give her credit for that. My parents also agree that sometimes she is uncooperative but with students she is great with being fun and energetic( as long as you aren't in trouble). I would definetly say that this is an amazing school and the teachers are teriffic! I have attended this school for 7/8 possible years, and I have tried other schools, but they were awful! At alhambra traditional your children will get the best (free) education that their is, and they deffinetly can be children!
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 3, 2006

My 2 kids attended this school since kindergarden.I truly loved this school however new principal not very cooperative with parents. Teachers are great, education is great. However I decided to pull my kids due to the school administrators negative attitudes and thinking they control my children's future. Great education however kids are over loaded and have no extra activates. Kids need to be kids and they can't at this school. Send them if you want an awesome education. Things are changing @ this school and not for the best.

Posted September 21, 2006

I went to this school starting in 2nd Grade when we had one of the best principles. New Principle came in not as good as I might have thought, however teachers are great. I would say this was a great school until the last year with new principle didn't care about students so much, sorry to say that just a kids perspective.

Posted September 19, 2006

So far my 4th grade child has done great at this school. He has made many friends, and really enjoys his play time. His grades have been outstanding. The teachers we have had each have different personalities, but all have been open to questions, and suggestions. Some of my friends whose children don't attend ATS, are struggling with things important, such as reading. ATS understands teaching children while young, and sponge like, is the best approach. Spaulding has worked very well for our child. ATS' Principal in my opinion is doing a very fine job. In a society where gangsters rule and lazy parents accept this, she has a challenging job, and does it well. More is expected from the child and the Parent. If you are not going to work hard, this is not the school for you. Go Eagles! G. Slaughter

Posted September 18, 2006

My two children where in ATS for two years. They received an excellent education and we took them out because we moved overseas. During the time we where in the school my experience was that the rules overcame everything and exeptions where not made even in the extreme case. My kids had wonderful teachers and excelled while making great friends. The day I transferred them out I asked the front desk if they could say goodbye to their teachers and friends and we where denied. The rule states that since they no longer where students in the school and I had signed the papers they could not even step foot in the grounds to even say farewell. I left very disappointed and sad for my kids because I felt that an exeptions should have been made. Excellent school but very disheartening for my kids in light of their circumstances.

Posted August 30, 2006

I went to this school from kindergarten through 8th grade. I received a high quality education and also learned how to take tests, study, take notes, etc., which many students entering high school cannot do. I also started high school with a huge ego, thinking I would be smarter and significantly ahead of everybody else. ATS carves this idea into you brain; make sure you humble your kid before high school. Any decent school and parent involvement can produce the same result as ATS, only it would be more fun, more lax dress code and better extra-curricular activities. ATS concentrates more on academics than anything else. Don't expect good sports, field trips or arts.

Posted July 3, 2006

I feel as if this school is too strickly structured. If you are looking for that, this is it.

Posted July 3, 2006

I was a student here from kindergarden-8th grade. This school does not allow a kid to be a kid! I urge you to continue your school search and not choose this school for your children! Please!

Posted June 12, 2006

I like this school because of the challenge that provides to my 3rd grade child, there is one warning that I would like to give to the parents, please request a class room policy from your child's teacher otherwise he or she will be spending and receiving 0's and detention when he or she should not have.

Posted April 25, 2006

this is one of the best schools for excelling kids. it teaches kids how to plan for the future and strives for exclance

Posted March 30, 2006

Great school! Excellent parent involvement.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian 5% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 22%N/A46%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3736 W Osborn Rd