Posted March 11, 2015
I recommend and support the Arizona Academy of Science as an exemplary educational institution. I cannot see my child attend any other school. This charter school provides a wonderful academic curriculum with focus on science, math and technology. These subjects are most important to my child in this age of Information Technology. The school campus is beautiful and the class room sizes are small which adds to my child s positive education. The Central location and diversity of the school are very important factors why I entrust my child to attend AZAOS. Every day is exciting for my child who loves her school. She enjoys the staff, her pupils and the challenges that the school provides. Without any reservation, I would recommend AZAOS to anyone.

Posted March 04, 2015
This school is perfect for my fifth grade son. His home room teacher can tell me, on demand and from memory, how he is scoring in every subject. The tech lab has Vex Robotics and Arduino kits. The curriculum is flexible to accommodate the needs of individual students. After toiling through years of public school where he was constantly bored, my twice-exceptional son is THRIVING and I couldn't be happier. There was some staff turnover this year which led to a few angry parents leaving some nasty reviews. I decided to investigate to see if there was any credence to their complaints. My scientific mind requires objective evidence! I went to board meetings, paid close attention to details whenever I was on campus, and had more than one frank discussion with faculty and administration. I was amazed. Everyone here is completely dedicated and passionate. In particular, I have never met a principal who works harder and cares more about individual students. Test scores overall, as presented to the Board, indicate that AZAOS students are learning, progressing toward educational goals generally faster than pretests projected they would. Success! We stayed, and I am so glad we did.

Posted January 15, 2015
Run Away. First let me say that, unlike many reviewers, I was generally happy with the teachers. All of the teachers I interacted with actually care and are trying to turn things around here, but the administration is failing them. Due to low enrollment they laid off half the teachers (of course some of the better ones that thought outside the box were the ones to get laid off) and merged the classes and grades, so now the classrooms are combined with every two grades (K-1, 2-3, etc) being taught by a single teacher. They may add floating teacher aids, but that still leaves the teachers preparing and teaching twice the amount of material. Communication is a definite problem: Little to no information given to parents for events until days before (if that). I was initially told I could pay for lunches and after school care via the website (not kept up to date btw) , but then told on the first day that online payment wasn't set up and I should just bring in cash each month. The final straw: The administration wants to hold all grades K-8 to the same behavior standards, and seems to respond to everything with a suspension.

Posted December 11, 2014
DO NOT ENROLL YOUR CHILD HERE BIG MISTAKE! !! My child went through 3 teachers no wonder he had failing grades it takes a child alot to learn one way of being taught yet 3 ways?! The staff is related so if you're uncle works there you are hired teachers look very young and like they graduaded high school. They sent home wrong report cards not once but twice! You will stress even more just save your self now DO NOT ENROLL YOUR CHILD HERE! ! -0 stars
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 20, 2014
If I could give this school a lower star I would. There are some many this wrong with this school I am completely surprised it has a license to operate as a school. Besides the very week curriculum, the complete lack of any kind of communication it has incredibly poor teachers. If you can even call them teachers. The people teaching science and tech are not teachers first and they are the first to tell you. They do not have lesson plans. They can not communicated in an effective manor with the students on any level. It's so poorly run that when you call and ask a question about an event that they are hosting in 5 days, the staff can NOT answer any questions except when the event starts.
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 22, 2014
This school year has been the worst school year I have ever experienced My child has been going to this school for a little over 2 year I transfered my child to this school for smaller class size and more one on one My child has learned a lot but this school year we have new staff and new principal There is very little communication between the staff parents and students Teachers have degrees but no child development education as well as the principal The principal is not personalable doesnt communicate very well with parents or students This year I dont feel like my child has learned very much and this is why my child will not be attending next school year They are focused more on discipline than studies please dont get me wrong children do need to be disciplined but for every little thing is uncalled for There is no structure in there curriculum or in the class classes are mixed grades with to many students to a class/teacher This school doesnt have a lot to offer kids theres no sports art music computers or any other extra curricular activities for students to get involved with.

Arizona Academy Of Science And Technology 2

Posted December 10, 2013
I would have to say so far being new to this school, I don't really feel the teacher/student ratio is giving children the opportunity to learn as much as they could if the classes were smaller. The mixing of the grades in a classes I think are by far taking away from what a charter school is suppose to be. Its confusing to the students who are trying to learn at their grade level already and being mixed with another grade level is not a very good idea I think. The reason I switched my child's school in the first place was for one is thinking this school that was suppose to have smaller classes which led me to think they would have more undivided interaction with the teachers which I thought was great at the time. The teachers are very nice yes, but their passion for helping a child individually is purely impossible because of the numerous amount of children in the same class that also need help. To me this sounds very discerning because my child is being penalized from learning to the best of his ability. I think this school could improve if the classes were split back by grade level only and smaller classrooms again.

Posted December 05, 2013
I read a previous review about how great the science was in this school. how is that possible???? there is little science going on here. the review mentioned microscopes in the 2nd grade classroom. there is nothing of the sort. there are very few supplies of any kind & the kids are not well behaved. I would never send a child here. I am a scientist & this is not science education. I will send my child & my tax money elsewhere.

Posted March 28, 2012
Arizona Science Academy has made it easier for my child to learn with mulitiple techniques! My child has gained a loy of confidence in her learning. It makes sense to her now. Thank you for everything you've done for us.

Posted February 27, 2012
I already commented below, but I also want to make a quick comment on the science program. My husband and I are working scientists and inventors and have multiple science degrees. We think the science prep here is top notch. Referring to 12/7 review, just because a class is full of computers and science text books, means nothing in regards to a science program. This school has a working organic garden, a kinder with fish, hamsters, and hermit crabs, a second grade with very good microscopes, a math teacher that uses real world examples and mixed media to immerse the kids in math in many new ways, etc. Science is woven into every grade in a very hands on way - the way it should be learned, especially in K - 8 when kids are very concrete learners. 12/7 reviewer, are you a scientist? I doubt it. If you were, you would be more concerned about hands on inquiry based experience than some outdated textbook approach. Silicon Valley execs are proponents of actually keeping computers OUT of the classroom and love Montesorri/ Waldorf style ed so children can learn to really think critically and build. 1/17 reviewer - I think the Kinder science prep is great and the library is a block away.

Arizona Academy Of Science And Technology
1875 North Central Avenue, Phoenix, AZ  85004
Last modified Arizona Academy Of Science And Technology is a Charter school that serves grades K-8
Arizona Academy Of Science And Technology Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top