Arizona School for the Arts 1

Posted October 13, 2014
I am a parent who's child is attending this school and I have to say it's more aimed as a prison rather than a school. Focusing on dress code rather than education or the teachers are focusing on bulling the kids and intimidating them rather than there education. They do have some qualities and some (very few) decent teachers but not enough. If things do not Change soon I will forced to pull my child out of this school and find a school that my child will better excel at. Remember these are our kids Not your inmates or personal punching bags ACAA.

Posted September 21, 2014
This is my daughter's 2nd year at ASA. I appreciate the emails teachers send me regarding my daughter's progress or places that needs my attention. I especially appreciate the lecture videos teacher created and the free tutoring time at lunch. I am thankful my daughter study at ASA.

Arizona School for the Arts 3

Posted August 01, 2014
I am currently a 9th grader and have been going here since 5th grade. About half of the teachers I have had since 5th grade were good while the other half were easy and worksheet orientated. The teachers and students are a small number, so the environment us very close. The teachers observe you closely and if you mess up a couple of times, the teachers gossip to each other and create you a really bad reputation (like me). The classes are not close and caring but rather people who judge you and roll their eyes. All the teachers and administration underestimate you and care more for their "image" to the public rather then the students happiness. The education and college prep is higher than most other schools but in reality only about 10 students are doing great while the rest are dragging behind. From 5th to 8th they use a meets system, that goes from fars far bellow, aproaches, meets-, meets,meets+, exceeds. Meets minus the the passing minimum,so a m- = C-. So most of the students at a m- are in into the C section in highschool because the meets- was considered okay in middle school. Overall decent school with character flaws.

Arizona School for the Arts 4

Posted May 17, 2014
My children have gone to this school for some time and still feel ASA is one of the best. The arts instructors remain excellent, though academics seems to be slipping. I've noticed that in the past years, many of the long term teachers have left and some of the new ones aren't the same quality, passionate, accessible and accommodating calibre as their predecessors. I see more busy work and my children have complained at times of not learning anything new in some classes. In one case, a teacher was thankfully replaced. At birthday parties this conversation is prevalent. We love ASA but get frustrated by some instructors that lack the gift to reach our right-brained, divergent thinking children. Some have a rigid structure that favors complacence and surface learning. My children miss certain instructors because they learned so much. I wouldn't say the school has replaced all the good teachers with inferior ones because some new ones are really quite excellent and my children love those that challenge them and reward their uniqueness and are willing to work with their weaknesses. Hopefully the academics instruction will move beyond mediocrity with more time on the job.

Posted May 12, 2014
I graduated from ASA in 2011 before it was expanded and remodeled and attending high school there was the best four years of my life! Sometimes I wish I could go back and do it all over again. I am who I am today because of ASA and I try to return as often as possible to see performances. ASA prepared me for college, for life and helped me perfect my talents and what I love to do. By far the best school in Arizona.

Posted April 30, 2014
The Arts programs are fabulous. The parent community is extrememy involved and inclusive. The majority of the teachers create an environment that is very supportive.

Arizona School for the Arts 3

Posted February 28, 2014
Like any school, this one has negatives and positives. The teachers are wonderful. The academics, however, are not much different from the public school my child attend. In fact, half the books taught this year were ones my child read last year. The ballet is geared more towards beginners in the early grades which is difficult for those with extensive ballet training. Piano and choir are amazing. I keep hearing that the ASA "culture" is so different but I haven't seem much difference from public school. I do wish they explained a little more about the "culture" and what the administration deems important. It's not for everyone.

Posted February 19, 2014
This school is incredible. I am a little surprised by some of the negative reviews that a few people have posted. I couldn't disagree with them more. My oldest son graduated last year and is now pursuing a career in performing arts. My younger son is currently a sixth grader and thankfully my youngest will get to attend there next year. The academics are rigorous, the arts training is top notch but what I love the best about the school is the culture. The kids are totally safe to be themselves and are treated with respect. They have zero tolerance for any bullying. The teachers are so on top of it. The school teaches the students to be independent learners and how to take responsibility for their own education yet they are always will to help any kid that is struggling offering their lunch hours to come in for tutoring. I have had the privilege of chaperoning a few field trips and have always been so impressed by how well behaved ASA students are. Not for kids who are looking for the traditional high school experience of football games and homecoming. But if you are looking for a great college prep school with great exposure to the arts ASA is a great choice.

Posted February 11, 2014
I am a parent of a 7th grader and I am very pleased with the education and environment ASA provides. I was concerned coming in in 7th grade that my daughter would be behind the other students in her arts courses (she had not previously had any arts education). The environment for learning is warm and supportive. It is such a positive feeling when you walk on campus, very different from most middle school settings.

Arizona School for the Arts 0

Posted February 03, 2014
This school persists to continuously decline in quality teachers, quality staff, and quality education. For a school that continues to advertise as a school built around the community, the admin at this school consistently disprove this theology. The quality of the arts department is a complete parallel to the overall success of this school. The school lacks enthusiasm for the arts and continues to suppress the enthusiasm of the students for their arts. This is such a disappointment, for this school had such great potential. .

Arizona School for the Arts
1410 N. 3rd St, Phoenix, AZ  85004
Last modified Arizona School for the Arts is a Charter school that serves grades 5-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Arizona School for the Arts Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 117 reviews. Top