Public charter
Phoenix, AZ

Arizona School for the Arts
Amount of homework: Just right

Posted September 01, 2015
It is a bit much at times, considering that this is a rigorous college-prep environment, but over my three years here I have learned how to manage it all very well, if I do say so. Just think: the amount of homework load we have helps prepare us for greater things - college and beyond!

Posted September 01, 2015
I am an 11th grade student at A.S.A. and this is my 3rd year here. This place is absolutely fantastic, and I dread having to leave it next year! First of all, A.S.A. has some of the best history teachers I've ever had in my roughly 14 years of schooling. My love of history has been kindled and expanded on by the teachers I have had here. I am currently in AP US History and AP Literature and I love both classes! Second, the school has a great National ranking in regards to both reading and math (I believe we are 12th in reading and 22nd in math), so that's pretty awesome. Third, the foreign language and performing arts departments are both outstanding. I adore taking French with my awesome prof! I also adore being involved in the choir and band programs; they are fantastic! My choir teachers over the years have inspired me to pursue professional singing in the future. All-in-all, if I had to sum it all up in one word, I'd say A.S.A. is exceptional. I enjoy the fact that I am able to come here and work with great people, in an accepting and rigorous environment, in the heart of the amazing Phoenix, AZ. :)

Posted November 20, 2014
We just started at ASA with a 5th grader. Groundlevel Grade. UNREAL. Initially, we were a bit shocked as were told by the teachers that our 'A' student was struggling. In my daughter's last school, papers that looked beautiful and was 'done' got an A. In this school, she gets feedback, questions to expand her thinking and she is being held to task with punctuation and processes in math rather than just getting the right answer. In just three months, our daughter has changed from 'doing' her work to THINKING. She is learning to be a conversationalist and to ask questions. Her arts teachers are amazing and are teaching legit. theory not just 'how to play songs'. We are totally impressed with the work and communication of all the teachers at the 5th grade level. They have a great balance of patience, high expectations and caring. They even have a Facebook Page just for 5th grade parents to ask questions! As far as who should go to this school? REALLY strong academic students who crave learning, understanding and are curious and like the arts. I think some of the dissatisfaction in other reviews comes from kids/parents who probably shouldn't go to this school.

Posted October 26, 2014
I have been going here for about three months and I absolutely love it. The curriculum is very advanced and there is a lot of homework, but i think it prepares us for college and careers. The students and teachers are very friendly, helpful, and welcoming. I was a little nervous before coming here because I had read other reviews saying that there are many cliques and too much stress, but that's definitely not the experience I have had. I'm a rather shy and reserved person but being at ASA even if only for three months so far has helped me realize my potential, become more sociable and really enjoy school.

Posted September 21, 2014
This is my daughter's 2nd year at ASA. I appreciate the emails teachers send me regarding my daughter's progress or places that needs my attention. I especially appreciate the lecture videos teacher created and the free tutoring time at lunch. I am thankful my daughter study at ASA.

Arizona School for the Arts 3

Posted August 01, 2014
I am currently a 9th grader and have been going here since 5th grade. About half of the teachers I have had since 5th grade were good while the other half were easy and worksheet orientated. The teachers and students are a small number, so the environment us very close. The teachers observe you closely and if you mess up a couple of times, the teachers gossip to each other and create you a really bad reputation (like me). The classes are not close and caring but rather people who judge you and roll their eyes. All the teachers and administration underestimate you and care more for their "image" to the public rather then the students happiness. The education and college prep is higher than most other schools but in reality only about 10 students are doing great while the rest are dragging behind. From 5th to 8th they use a meets system, that goes from fars far bellow, aproaches, meets-, meets,meets+, exceeds. Meets minus the the passing minimum,so a m- = C-. So most of the students at a m- are in into the C section in highschool because the meets- was considered okay in middle school. Overall decent school with character flaws.

Arizona School for the Arts 4

Posted May 17, 2014
My children have gone to this school for some time and still feel ASA is one of the best. The arts instructors remain excellent, though academics seems to be slipping. I've noticed that in the past years, many of the long term teachers have left and some of the new ones aren't the same quality, passionate, accessible and accommodating calibre as their predecessors. I see more busy work and my children have complained at times of not learning anything new in some classes. In one case, a teacher was thankfully replaced. At birthday parties this conversation is prevalent. We love ASA but get frustrated by some instructors that lack the gift to reach our right-brained, divergent thinking children. Some have a rigid structure that favors complacence and surface learning. My children miss certain instructors because they learned so much. I wouldn't say the school has replaced all the good teachers with inferior ones because some new ones are really quite excellent and my children love those that challenge them and reward their uniqueness and are willing to work with their weaknesses. Hopefully the academics instruction will move beyond mediocrity with more time on the job.

Posted May 12, 2014
I graduated from ASA in 2011 before it was expanded and remodeled and attending high school there was the best four years of my life! Sometimes I wish I could go back and do it all over again. I am who I am today because of ASA and I try to return as often as possible to see performances. ASA prepared me for college, for life and helped me perfect my talents and what I love to do. By far the best school in Arizona.

Posted April 30, 2014
The Arts programs are fabulous. The parent community is extrememy involved and inclusive. The majority of the teachers create an environment that is very supportive.

Arizona School for the Arts 3

Posted February 28, 2014
Like any school, this one has negatives and positives. The teachers are wonderful. The academics, however, are not much different from the public school my child attend. In fact, half the books taught this year were ones my child read last year. The ballet is geared more towards beginners in the early grades which is difficult for those with extensive ballet training. Piano and choir are amazing. I keep hearing that the ASA "culture" is so different but I haven't seem much difference from public school. I do wish they explained a little more about the "culture" and what the administration deems important. It's not for everyone.

Arizona School for the Arts
1410 N. 3rd St, Phoenix, AZ  85004
Last modified Arizona School for the Arts is a Charter school that serves grades 5-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Arizona School for the Arts Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 135 reviews. Top