Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Arizona School for the Arts 3

Posted May 28, 2016
I completely agree with the student review from March, 2016. The school is not what it used to be. And the administration refuses to adapt and change in order to improve. They rest on they "history" of being a charter school for over 20 years. But every year, newer charter schools pass them by academically. This school is still rated very high in the state, but they are going in the wrong direction. Too much teacher turnover, administration will not listen. And very few opportunities to actually perform for an audience in the theater department. For many people, it is a long drive to this school, and frankly no benefit compared to other schools in many of the arts specialties. Many public schools and other charter schools are copying ASA's model, but doing it better. There is a lot of competition for students. The one area where ASA is still the best is for ballet. But for any other art - find a school closer to home. You'll be just as happy.

Arizona School for the Arts 2

Posted March 24, 2016
Notice a lot of the parents reviews praise the rigorous academics and arts programs, while many of the student reviews have only one or two stars. As one of those many students, I feel as though this school is definitely not what it used to be, and there's a large air of elitism. The administration is unable to take criticism and will force students to conform to their idea of management. The arts, while classically good, do not allow you to be yourself, and I have never felt like I have truly done the art I want while at ASA. The academics prepare you for college but are extremely rigorous, especially the first three years of high school. When preparing for AP testing junior year students should expect to write several 5 paragraph essays every day, and have piles of homework on top of that. The management acts as though all of their teachers are perfect and is afraid to really criticize them, especially teachers that have been there for 10+ years. Many of these teachers have made me feel alienated, or not even taught me a thing. There's an idea of "ASA culture" in the minds of the board, and while this culture is yet to be seen on the campus, they use it as further excuse to believe their school and way of teaching students is perfect. Bullying still happens (even from teachers in some cases) even when the school claims to accept everyone. While a student who wants to be classically trained and attend an ivy league college might like it here, anyone else who cannot swim, sinks. Many a night has been spent stressing or crying over schoolwork, and I have had to adapt to sleeping at 1-2 am and waking up at 6:30 due to the massive amounts of homework and projects. If you're taking extracurricular activities, this will only cause more stress. This school needs to learn to take criticism and be more respectful to the students, and take back on teachers that actually know what they're doing. Then, maybe, ASA could be great again.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted March 24, 2016
A few different teachers have been the very best I've ever had, and have taught me very much. This is comforting even in the air of other teachers being stale and unforgiving.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted March 24, 2016
Students learn to be someone else more than they learn to be themselves. Teachers alienate kids and if you don't reach the high standard you're going to fail.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted September 01, 2015
It is a bit much at times, considering that this is a rigorous college-prep environment, but over my three years here I have learned how to manage it all very well, if I do say so. Just think: the amount of homework load we have helps prepare us for greater things - college and beyond!

Posted September 01, 2015
I am an 11th grade student at A.S.A. and this is my 3rd year here. This place is absolutely fantastic, and I dread having to leave it next year! First of all, A.S.A. has some of the best history teachers I've ever had in my roughly 14 years of schooling. My love of history has been kindled and expanded on by the teachers I have had here. I am currently in AP US History and AP Literature and I love both classes! Second, the school has a great National ranking in regards to both reading and math (I believe we are 12th in reading and 22nd in math), so that's pretty awesome. Third, the foreign language and performing arts departments are both outstanding. I adore taking French with my awesome prof! I also adore being involved in the choir and band programs; they are fantastic! My choir teachers over the years have inspired me to pursue professional singing in the future. All-in-all, if I had to sum it all up in one word, I'd say A.S.A. is exceptional. I enjoy the fact that I am able to come here and work with great people, in an accepting and rigorous environment, in the heart of the amazing Phoenix, AZ. :)

Posted November 20, 2014
We just started at ASA with a 5th grader. Groundlevel Grade. UNREAL. Initially, we were a bit shocked as were told by the teachers that our 'A' student was struggling. In my daughter's last school, papers that looked beautiful and was 'done' got an A. In this school, she gets feedback, questions to expand her thinking and she is being held to task with punctuation and processes in math rather than just getting the right answer. In just three months, our daughter has changed from 'doing' her work to THINKING. She is learning to be a conversationalist and to ask questions. Her arts teachers are amazing and are teaching legit. theory not just 'how to play songs'. We are totally impressed with the work and communication of all the teachers at the 5th grade level. They have a great balance of patience, high expectations and caring. They even have a Facebook Page just for 5th grade parents to ask questions! As far as who should go to this school? REALLY strong academic students who crave learning, understanding and are curious and like the arts. I think some of the dissatisfaction in other reviews comes from kids/parents who probably shouldn't go to this school.

Posted October 26, 2014
I have been going here for about three months and I absolutely love it. The curriculum is very advanced and there is a lot of homework, but i think it prepares us for college and careers. The students and teachers are very friendly, helpful, and welcoming. I was a little nervous before coming here because I had read other reviews saying that there are many cliques and too much stress, but that's definitely not the experience I have had. I'm a rather shy and reserved person but being at ASA even if only for three months so far has helped me realize my potential, become more sociable and really enjoy school.

Posted September 21, 2014
This is my daughter's 2nd year at ASA. I appreciate the emails teachers send me regarding my daughter's progress or places that needs my attention. I especially appreciate the lecture videos teacher created and the free tutoring time at lunch. I am thankful my daughter study at ASA.

Arizona School for the Arts 3

Posted August 01, 2014
I am currently a 9th grader and have been going here since 5th grade. About half of the teachers I have had since 5th grade were good while the other half were easy and worksheet orientated. The teachers and students are a small number, so the environment us very close. The teachers observe you closely and if you mess up a couple of times, the teachers gossip to each other and create you a really bad reputation (like me). The classes are not close and caring but rather people who judge you and roll their eyes. All the teachers and administration underestimate you and care more for their "image" to the public rather then the students happiness. The education and college prep is higher than most other schools but in reality only about 10 students are doing great while the rest are dragging behind. From 5th to 8th they use a meets system, that goes from fars far bellow, aproaches, meets-, meets,meets+, exceeds. Meets minus the the passing minimum,so a m- = C-. So most of the students at a m- are in into the C section in highschool because the meets- was considered okay in middle school. Overall decent school with character flaws.

1410 N. 3rd St, Phoenix, AZ  85004
Last modified Arizona School for the Arts is a Charter school that serves grades 5-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.