Benchmark School

Charter | K-6 | 420 students

We are best known for hands on sensorial curriculum.

Living in Phoenix

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $98,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $800.

Sweep tile

Posted February 19, 2014

Prior to having children I knew Benchmark School would be my first choice. Now as a Mother of 3 (2 of which are school aged) I have no doubt in my mind I made the right decision for my family. We have been with Benchmark for 5 years now and love it! The school is amazing in every aspect. Parent involvement is very high and the students benefit greatly from that. We are blessed to have two teachers is every class from Preschool through Elementary. Any negative reviews always come from those pushy, overbearing, and argumentative parents, which unfortunately every school has. My kids tell me all the time their school is the best and that makes me happy as a parent. I don't look forward to the day my kids will no longer be in elementary school, unless the school adds 7th and 8th grade. hint, hint.. THANK YOU BENCHMARK FOR BEING SO WONDERFUL!!! --- PROUD PARENT

Posted November 2, 2013

Benchmark School - PHX, AZ To the parent, who I suspect posted both the 10/8 & 10/10 reviews, I would like to ask why, when you feel as you do, would you keep your children in Benchmark? If my assessment was as vociferously negative as yours, I would enroll my children in another school. What is in the best interest of my children will always trump what is convenient for me including driving a greater distance to another school. Sometimes parents don t like to hear that their child may have an issue or problem, and become defensive, attacking the messenger, instead of working in concert with one of the wonderful Benchmark principals & teachers who take great personal interest in the well-being of children placed in their care, under their supervision. As the Aunt of a Benchmark student, I know that there is a long list of parents waiting hopefully for spots to open so they can transfer their children to Benchmark. We were overjoyed when our little girl was accepted. The fact that you voluntarily chose to keep your children in Benchmark speaks much louder than your vindictive diatribes. Stop the venom. Shame on you. Support the school like every parent I know or move on.

Posted October 10, 2013

I would have to agree with the poster that wrote about this issues with the management, the principals in particular. If you spent 5 minutes in the office waiting for your child you know who it is. Having a child that spent 6 years there, if you have an issue with a teacher, you might as well be talking to a brick wall. While 1 star may be harsh when evaluating the education, overall it is within the spirit of the "unsatisfactory" rating because of how incredibly condescending they (she) is when discussing your child's issue or problem. Unfortunately the tone in the front office and makes this place very unwelcoming, unfair in how kids are discipline, with kids of parents they like getting favors and leniency and those that they disagree with not. Do yourself, and your child, a favor and go with one of the recently opened charters such as great heats, basis and other and leave the mind games to them.

Posted October 8, 2013

As a parent of 3 children that have gone to this school, you will realize one day that the mind games and poor administration of the principals, one in particular, are not worth the anxiety and stress you will go through. There are so many charter school options now for elementary school now, much better than Benchmark, that you will rue the day you sent your kids here.

Posted September 27, 2013

This school is amazing. Both of my children are happy and learning at their fullest potential. As far as other children leaving for other charter schools, most that we know have all since returned. The teachers are dedicated and have the ability to be creative with their instruction. We highly recommend this school.

Posted September 10, 2013

Benchmark is a dream come true for parents and students alike. Every teacher is wonderful in my 4 year experience at the school. Each year I think it can't get better than the current year and somehow it does! In my experience, the only disgruntled parents are the ones with struggling students. They move on to other schools looking for something better and then wish they could come back. The wait list continues to grow every year with very good reason, getting in is like winning the lottery. I volunteer often and am always impressed with the wonderfully behaved students. Kids don't need 3+ hours of homework in elementary school, too many parents are confusing busy work for quality education. I only hope Benchmark can get a junior high and high school developed in time for my 3rd grader to not have to switch schools, it would be a shame to break up their wonderful group. Other schools are thrilled to get Benchmark students due to their advanced skills, so no hurry to switch here!

Posted September 8, 2013

Many families have decided that they don't need to tolerate the administrative issues with the principal now that there are new charter choices. There has been a real brain drain with a lot of higher performing students leaving. To remain competitive, the school needs to realize changes need to be made in the office and also recruit a higher level of teachers particularly in math and science.

Posted August 31, 2013

Benchmark School provides an environment where any family will feel at home. There are 2 teachers in every class so no child falls behind. All of the teachers are top notch or they will not be allowed to continue to teach there. The principals truly care for each child as if it were their own and are always available to talk at a moments request. The front desk greets you with a smile and can help with any questions or point you in the right direction of someone who can. This school is very unique in that we feel like one large family. It is worth every moment you might stand in line to enroll your child. I have read the negative comments and can honestly say they are just not true. When my children continue on to another school after sixth grade I feel they will be ready to exceed any expectations their future school might have from a child entering at their grade level. I feel truly lucky that we are able to attend this school.

Posted August 29, 2013

Where else can you get a 15:1 student to teacher ratio, without paying private school prices? Not many, I know because I have looked. The supportive and involved parent community at this school allows us to shelter our children from some of the negative experiences I hear about in public school. I love this school and so do my kids!!

Posted August 22, 2013

KYRENE DE LOS CERRITOS I have 2 kiddos in this school 1st & 3rd grade, principal and teachers are amazing.

Posted August 11, 2013

This is our 6th year at Benchmark. Having been an elementary school teacher, I had very high expectations for what I was looking for in a school. Benchmark has hit all of those expectations. Two of my children have moved on to middle-school and they left Benchmark fully prepared with a love of learning. I can not say enough about this school!

Posted August 8, 2013

I have two children at this school and the teachers are amazing! I could not be more pleased with the academics! The school also does an amazing job enriching and engaging the kids. I moved my kids from public school and it was the best thing I did!

Posted August 5, 2013

I have two children at this school and the teachers are amazing. We left our public school due to class size and a deficient science and math ciriculum. As a parent I am so very pleased with the level of instruction at this school. The creativity and the varied tools of instruction that the teachers use make learning fun and memorable. Both of my children are exelling academically and are very happy at Benchmark.

Posted August 5, 2013

I have a 2nd grader and a pre-k student this year. Our kids receive amazing individual attention as each class has 2 full time teachers. My oldest falls probably in the middle of his class academically, and i feel certain that he would be left behind at a traditional public school. It's a small community that has many wonderful traditions. It continues to be an academic success thanks to the amazing teaching staff and an administration that understands what it takes to be Great!

Posted July 30, 2013

Don't send your children here - the school is lacking in many things from many different aspects!!

Posted July 1, 2013

My son just finished kindergarten at Benchmark and looks forward to returning for first grade. The teachers and staff are amazing, parents are all involved, and facilities feel safe and welcoming. I am thrilled with this school and always recommend it to others. Space is limited, which is nice because faculty has more flexibility with addressing a child s individual needs. Everyone working with Benchmark truly has the children s' best interests at heart in all that they do and I greatly appreciate that!

Posted August 12, 2012

My son and daughter attended this school for over 5 years. They enjoyed it most of the time. Benchmark is very strong in math. It has given both my kids an excellent foundation in math and reading. They group kids based on ability which is good for the kids because it challenges them on their level. In the upper grades though, it seems to cause some social conflict, in that there seems to be a lot of comparisons going on about what group certain kids are in. I believe the prinicipals, while not super outgoing, have their hearts in the right place. They can be somewhat hard to communicate with at times. Overall, this is a great school and I would send my kids there again.

Posted August 8, 2012

My son has been at this school for two years. He has learned nothing new from the first year he attended. The principals are very unresponsive. I'm a unsatisfied with this school.

Posted July 23, 2012

This school is, bar none, the best possible elementary school you can find! I found this school when my daughter was struggling in her first grade class. The teacher was submitting nothing but "paper and pencil" assignments. We love Benchmark because it encourages creativity and uses several different teaching styles! Best of all, it levels the children off so each child is working at the level that is BEST for them! My son just finished their Pre-K program and I am astonished at the amount he has learned this year. "Mommy, that is not a diamond, that is called a rhombus" (he was 4 at the time) I love this school so much that when I graduated with my teaching degree, I immediatly applied at this school...unfortunately, (for me, not you) they have such a low turnover rate, that nothing was available! I will keep on trying! I will sing Benchmarks praises to anyone and everyone I meet. If you are looking for somewhere where your child will grow socially, emotionally, and most importantly, educationally, you have found it! There is a reason it has a rating of 10!

Posted August 1, 2011

My daughter and son go to this school. My daughter started in Kindergarden then left for another school in second grade to another "Excelling" school. The other school was nice and had 'hug' days but academically did not challenge my daughter the way she needed to be challenged. We came back to Benchmark for 3rd grade. She loves it there! The teachers believe in educating the kids and keeps the bar high because they know these kids can do the work and do it well.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian 6% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Arabic languages
French
German
Japanese
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Top Ten Charter School in Arizona, A+ Charter School
  • Odyssey of the Mind finalist

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Clubs

• Japanese

Health & athletics

Clubs
  • Gardening

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Carole Challoner and Barbara Darroch
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (602) 765-1932

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge

Performing arts
  • Creative writing
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Parents are involved at benchmark through many committees involved with the benchmark parent teacher organization. they coordinate the cultural arts program which brings many visiting artists to school. parents are on campus daily as reading companions, library helpers, lunch time helpers, playground supervisors and art and music masterpiece presentors.