Posted September 30, 2014
I have found by talking to other parents, that this is the place for kids who have parents that consider themselves partners in their child's education. If you want your child to excel academically, become responsible for their own behavior and work ethic, and become a better friend and citizen, this is the place for them! If not, and you just want to complain and make excuses and get mad when teachers hold your child accountable for work they missed while you were in Disneyland for a week, homeschool them.

Posted September 16, 2014
My children were at Benchmark for 2 years. The teachers are great and attentive. However, the Principles at Benchmark appear to have no interest in school safety or security. All of the other schools in the PV school district and the charter school my kids are now currently attending, have locked gates and doors and visitors must be allowed in through a locked door at all times. At Benchmark, the main gate is left unlocked at all times, the doors are all unlocked and there is only a token sign-in system that is poorly enforced. The drop off and pick up procedures are also poor and disorganized, especially when you compare their efforts to BASIS, Great Hearts or even the public schools! These comments are not a reflection on the teachers, as they appear to do the best they can, but the administrators appear to show little interest in these matters which appear consistent with other negative reviews.

Posted September 15, 2014
Benchmark only gets the scores they do because they test the children with memory cards 2 weeks before the State tests are taken. They are actually dumbing down the kids with too much TV. I think this is the perfect school for kids who have emotional or health related issues as long as these difficulties don't affect their ability to score well on test days. Otherwise, the school allows class interruptions, class parties and lots of movie time-- all perfect for the ADHD, ADD or learning disability child. Just make sure your child tests well! So many parents have issues they want to mention but are warned not to, especially with 1st grades dream team... bc once you do, you and your child will be shut out completely. The unprofessionalism starts at the top and funnels its way down to a teaching staff with no accountability.

Posted August 07, 2014
I completely 100% agree with the 1 star rating and everything said by "submitted by a teacher". We were thrilled to enroll our daughter at such a highly rated school. We were never informed of any issues with our child until our mid year teacher conference. At that point we were told our child would not be welcome to continue at Benchmark no matter what our child accomplished or learned in the last half of the year. They even implied our child had a learning disability. We immediately withdrew her and put her in a top rated "10" public school. We had her tested through the district and she actually tested above her age level. She is so much happier now! If your child doesn't fit perfectly into the Benchmark mold, the teachers and staff make you feel like there is something wrong with your child. Getting our daughter out of that school was one of the best things we have ever done. In my opinion, the only reason Benchmark is rated a "10" is because they only keep the children who are able to perform at a specific level they expect, which is unrealistic for some children. The ones that require teaching or any extra attention are pushed out. - Disappointed parent

Posted July 22, 2014
This is interesting. I posted a comment on this blog and it has been removed. It stayed on this blog for a couple of months so it wasn't outside of the guidelines, but it was honest and something all parents should know. Administration and teachers are quite dysfunctional in the manner in which they approach families and children. If a parent has issues and attempts to communicate with the teachers, their response is very intimidating and quite bullying. I found it interesting that a problem I had was how my nephew got to watch Fifteen movies in class thought the school year. When this was brought to the teachers attention a group of five teachers met with the parents and made them feel inferior and demeaned their complaint. I myself am an educator for public schools, so a decision on a charter was difficult for me, and after denoting the several attempts made to communicate legitimate issues, it validated that public education is the better way as someone is held accountable. Administration and teachers here are related in some fashion so if you go above heads it creates more issues than solutions. Talk to other parents before enrolling kids here, trust me!

Posted April 30, 2014
Benchmark is known for its amazing core knowledge curriculum and awesome teacher enthusiasm. My kids love going to school everyday!

Posted April 30, 2014
Benchmark continues to go above and beyond all state and federal standards. The students are always highly motivated by the enriching curriculum. The leveled groups also help to provide every child with the education they deserve.

Posted February 19, 2014
Prior to having children I knew Benchmark School would be my first choice. Now as a Mother of 3 (2 of which are school aged) I have no doubt in my mind I made the right decision for my family. We have been with Benchmark for 5 years now and love it! The school is amazing in every aspect. Parent involvement is very high and the students benefit greatly from that. We are blessed to have two teachers is every class from Preschool through Elementary. Any negative reviews always come from those pushy, overbearing, and argumentative parents, which unfortunately every school has. My kids tell me all the time their school is the best and that makes me happy as a parent. I don't look forward to the day my kids will no longer be in elementary school, unless the school adds 7th and 8th grade. hint, hint.. THANK YOU BENCHMARK FOR BEING SO WONDERFUL!!! --- PROUD PARENT

Posted November 02, 2013
Benchmark School - PHX, AZ To the parent, who I suspect posted both the 10/8 & 10/10 reviews, I would like to ask why, when you feel as you do, would you keep your children in Benchmark? If my assessment was as vociferously negative as yours, I would enroll my children in another school. What is in the best interest of my children will always trump what is convenient for me including driving a greater distance to another school. Sometimes parents don t like to hear that their child may have an issue or problem, and become defensive, attacking the messenger, instead of working in concert with one of the wonderful Benchmark principals & teachers who take great personal interest in the well-being of children placed in their care, under their supervision. As the Aunt of a Benchmark student, I know that there is a long list of parents waiting hopefully for spots to open so they can transfer their children to Benchmark. We were overjoyed when our little girl was accepted. The fact that you voluntarily chose to keep your children in Benchmark speaks much louder than your vindictive diatribes. Stop the venom. Shame on you. Support the school like every parent I know or move on.

Posted October 10, 2013
I would have to agree with the poster that wrote about this issues with the management, the principals in particular. If you spent 5 minutes in the office waiting for your child you know who it is. Having a child that spent 6 years there, if you have an issue with a teacher, you might as well be talking to a brick wall. While 1 star may be harsh when evaluating the education, overall it is within the spirit of the "unsatisfactory" rating because of how incredibly condescending they (she) is when discussing your child's issue or problem. Unfortunately the tone in the front office and makes this place very unwelcoming, unfair in how kids are discipline, with kids of parents they like getting favors and leniency and those that they disagree with not. Do yourself, and your child, a favor and go with one of the recently opened charters such as great heats, basis and other and leave the mind games to them.

Benchmark School
4120 E. Acoma Dr., Phoenix, AZ  85032
Last modified Benchmark School is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Benchmark School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 172 reviews.