Camelback High School

Public | 9-12 | 1900 students

Posted March 9, 2014

Best school ever. The students are really disciplined and respectful. They value diversity and they are very very nice. Yes I know the ranking is a 5 and it doesn't have debt card vending marchines but its a perfect environment for your kids.

Posted September 9, 2011

CBHS is one of the best schools in the district. I graduated class of '09 from CBHS. The teachers are wonderful and push students to strive for a better future. If you're a parent whose student was struggling academically, you should consider whether your student pushed him/herself. High school isn't about having your hand held and being babied (Though, that is how some students expect it to be). It is the responsibility of the parents as well to ensure that their child is understanding material and communicating with their instructors to ensure that he/she is getting all of the help needed. Violence is hardly an issue. Everywhere you go, no matter what part of the city, there is violence. Compared to other schools in the district, CBHS has much more rules and procedures regarding safety. CBHS is simply fantastic. GO SPARTANS!!

Posted May 4, 2010

very good school. Im so proud of my student sucess at Camelback Highschool.

Posted April 8, 2010

I'm a former Camelback HS student and my neices attended CHS too. I saw the neighborhoods around the school deteriorate with gangs and drugs becoming more prevalent over several years. The school itself has performed as well as it could to handle these problems, but the parents certainly have not! Considering the faculty only, they've given their best effort in a tough environment. CHS isn't what it once was, but no Phoenix Union District school is!

Posted April 2, 2009

Camelback isn't the school that will treat you like a child and guide you through high school and I think that is what many parents want it to be. As a student I prefer the way that it is now where they put the responsibility of an adult on me so that when I do leave I will be prepared for actual life. The only thing that I think is lacking is the advanced placement classes and that could be improved if parents ever wanted to start supporting the programs instead of complaining without a point. Camelback is a good school overall despite all the bad imaging that it receives.

Posted April 2, 2009

I graduated last year at CBHS as one of the top of my class. Personally, I don't know what people are really complaining about. Camelback undeniably has great teachers (though we all agree some need to learn how to). Camelback has this reputation of being a bad school, but the way I see it, many of the teachers at CBHS helped me prepare for the university I'm attending now. Then again, the lack of AP classes brings this school down a bit. (Class of '08)

Posted January 16, 2009

I am currently a student at camelback high school and in my opinion it is much better and a little cleaner than schools like North. Of course there is absolutely no way to avoid the gangs and all those stupid problems, but Camelback is alot cleaner and controled than all those other schools.

Posted December 5, 2008

I am formerly a student of CBHS. Don't believe all the bad publicity about gangs and violence!!! This school rocks!! The environment is both student/parent friendly-encouraging parents to be proactive and encourages student growth upon graduation. Also, this school embraces cultural diversity....cudos to this school-I am glad I attended...it helped myself and many others to excel!

Posted November 20, 2008

Good news! Camelback received $1.5 million in scholarships last year (07-08). Not bad for a school that is supposed to be riddled with gangs and violence. By the way, anything you hear about CBHS being a gang riddled school or unsafe etc, trust me, they are lies. CBHS is the safest school in the District. With our new Dean, admin has become less tolerant of deviant behaviors whether it cell phone usage, dress code, fights etc. I've worked there for 10 years and I couldn't be happier. And I love my students - treat them with respect and they will yield great gains. While we do have a lot going against us, we also have a lot going for us. Go Spartans!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 27, 2007

My daughter graduated from CHS and did well, but if you're looking for scholarship assistance, they are of no help. She was in mostly honors classes - her honors biology class had only 3 students in it! I withdrew my son from CHS because of safety and academic issues - it is a very tough school with a large portion of the male students involved in gangs. Academically, if your student is not an honors student or an 'at risk' student, they will just coast thru or slip thru the cracks. Administration is far more interested in keeping attendance up and AIMS scores than on curriculum. My daughter received enormous pressure to keep retaking the AIMS even though she had already passed it - administration was trying to raise the score averages. Be very diligent and involved and talk to your student daily about their impression of the CHS environment.

Posted July 26, 2007

As a former student at CBHS I beleive it is a great school. I am very familiar with the staff and office personnel, and I have always been treated fairly and with respect. I would recommend this school to those who are not sure whether to attend or not. The school has many different programs, clubs that a student would find useful for the 'real world' after high school. I love you Camelback'

Posted May 26, 2007

I had throughout HighSchool a C+ or maybe B average. In retrospect, the only way an average guy like me could have been successful at CBHS was to beacause I was active in clubs. My choice was Camelback Now, the media club that would actively attend events and tape/edit/distribute/sell/show them as well as put on a weekly television show (not just announcements, but an actual news show with segments and interviews). Through that I got to see how awesome some of the other clubs were, like the Step Team, Track and Field, anything having to do with the Band, and the Drama Club. I was also part of STRUT (Students Recycling Used Technology, sponsored by Motorola and Intel) and through that program got a THREE-YEAR-SCHOLARSHIP to GateWay Community College which I used to get my Associates in Applied Science. TAKE NOTE: My parents had to be _forcefully_active_ in my education!

Posted October 12, 2006

My daughter attended CHS and although it is a very good school and has lots of great programs and extra curricular activities. The administrative personnel leaves a lot to be desired. As a parent I feel that I was never given the respect that I deserve. As for the teachers, they hardly ever had time to properly introduce themselves. This overall, made me as a parent, not want to be involved as I should have wanted to be. My frustration was such, that I removed my child from CHS.

Posted February 2, 2006

Loved going to school here.

Posted October 13, 2005

It's a great school! we love you camelback!

Posted July 14, 2005

Camelback has a lot to offer your student. I have had 4 sons and 18 foster sons attend Camelback. It really is a good high school. DECA is a big plus. Get your son or daughter involved dance, music, yearbook or STRUT. It is going to a great 4 years. Get involved and help your child make the best of it. English, Reading and Math are major strenghths.

Posted April 1, 2005

Camelback High is a great school. It has good sports programs and an excellent drama program. They just started the READ 180 program that is helpful to low readers. I am happy with the school so far.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 26, 2004

The school is very well maintained and the students are well behaved.

Posted August 15, 2003

The school has very well prepared counselors who help students to improve thier perfomance in every aspect (grades,getting along with other students, sports).

Posted April 28, 2003

During meetings with my child's teachers they have told me they 'don't have time' to address my childs special needs. In multiple meetings to try and get the assistance the law dictates for my child I have met with indifference from the teachers. The adminstrative staff of the Special Education department have been helpful but their hands are tied by the indifference perpetuated throughout the teaching staff. I know that funds are tight but my child is entitled to the same education as a 'normal' child. I also continuously receive phone calls from the registration office telling me my child was absent from classes. Upon calling the registrar numerous times I was told that their computer call back system was faulty and to disregard the calls. In this situation I say, if it's broke, fix it! It will save my child my assuming that she has 'ditched' a class when in fact she was present.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

450 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

461 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

444 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing".

Source: Arizona Department of Education

School end time
  • 4:10 pm
  • Dr. Chad Gestson
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (602) 271-2295

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Passes/tokens for public transportation

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.

Apply now