Phoenix, AZ
Students enrolled: 1,900

Posted July 19, 2014
Camelback High School has experienced a renaissance since 2009, establishing a positive culture where every student is connected and valued. No student is allowed to be invisible. More of the top performing students are gaining college admission and scholarships ($3.8 million in2014). Top students are also helping the struggling students via a popular and successful peer tutoring program. All students have the same advisor and counselor for all four years. Many new clubs attract students with a variety of interests. Students participate in many community outreach programs. This process has been assisted by a group of local business and professional people from Social Venture Partners-AZ. United Way has launched its own mentoring program for struggling freshmen students. See: successismandatory.org which provides a case study of this remarkable project and outcome. The school's visionary principal has now been moved up to a senior position at the District where he is helping other schools in the Phoenix Union H.S. District to create their own versions of this success.

Posted March 09, 2014
Best school ever. The students are really disciplined and respectful. They value diversity and they are very very nice. Yes I know the ranking is a 5 and it doesn't have debt card vending marchines but its a perfect environment for your kids.

Posted September 09, 2011
CBHS is one of the best schools in the district. I graduated class of '09 from CBHS. The teachers are wonderful and push students to strive for a better future. If you're a parent whose student was struggling academically, you should consider whether your student pushed him/herself. High school isn't about having your hand held and being babied (Though, that is how some students expect it to be). It is the responsibility of the parents as well to ensure that their child is understanding material and communicating with their instructors to ensure that he/she is getting all of the help needed. Violence is hardly an issue. Everywhere you go, no matter what part of the city, there is violence. Compared to other schools in the district, CBHS has much more rules and procedures regarding safety. CBHS is simply fantastic. GO SPARTANS!!

Posted May 04, 2010
very good school. Im so proud of my student sucess at Camelback Highschool.

Camelback High School 4

Posted April 08, 2010
I'm a former Camelback HS student and my neices attended CHS too. I saw the neighborhoods around the school deteriorate with gangs and drugs becoming more prevalent over several years. The school itself has performed as well as it could to handle these problems, but the parents certainly have not! Considering the faculty only, they've given their best effort in a tough environment. CHS isn't what it once was, but no Phoenix Union District school is!

Camelback High School 0

Posted April 02, 2009
Camelback isn't the school that will treat you like a child and guide you through high school and I think that is what many parents want it to be. As a student I prefer the way that it is now where they put the responsibility of an adult on me so that when I do leave I will be prepared for actual life. The only thing that I think is lacking is the advanced placement classes and that could be improved if parents ever wanted to start supporting the programs instead of complaining without a point. Camelback is a good school overall despite all the bad imaging that it receives.

Camelback High School 4

Posted April 02, 2009
I graduated last year at CBHS as one of the top of my class. Personally, I don't know what people are really complaining about. Camelback undeniably has great teachers (though we all agree some need to learn how to). Camelback has this reputation of being a bad school, but the way I see it, many of the teachers at CBHS helped me prepare for the university I'm attending now. Then again, the lack of AP classes brings this school down a bit. (Class of '08)

Posted January 16, 2009
I am currently a student at camelback high school and in my opinion it is much better and a little cleaner than schools like North. Of course there is absolutely no way to avoid the gangs and all those stupid problems, but Camelback is alot cleaner and controled than all those other schools.

Posted December 05, 2008
I am formerly a student of CBHS. Don't believe all the bad publicity about gangs and violence!!! This school rocks!! The environment is both student/parent friendly-encouraging parents to be proactive and encourages student growth upon graduation. Also, this school embraces cultural diversity....cudos to this school-I am glad I attended...it helped myself and many others to excel!

Camelback High School 2

Posted December 05, 2008

Camelback High School
4612 N. 28th Street, Phoenix, AZ  85016
Last modified Camelback High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Camelback High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top