Posted September 18, 2014
I had enrolled my daughter in a nearby charter school because I had been influenced by the "1" rating received by Cesar Chavez Elementary and by how negatively people had talked about the school. My daughter is a bright girl and usually loved going to school but her transition into 1st grade was not facilitated by the faculty or students at the charter school and she was miserable. So I transferred her to Chavez and I will tell you this, it was the best decision. She has taken to school like she had in the past and while I will admit I'd like to have her presented with a more challenging curriculum, that is something I as a parent can influence by working with her teacher. I am very pleased with the staff, teachers and students. As a whole, the school is far better than where she was before.

Posted March 08, 2010
This is a school that is undergoing a metamorphosis. There are 9 existing teachers left from last years' staff. 17 of us are new. This is my 7th year of teaching and I am well educated with experience in the classroom as well as a Master's degree. Cesar Chavez is beginning to run like a well oiled machine. The current administration gives up Saturdays, stays late and asks for teacher input often in order to make the school a better institution for kids and the community at large. While no place is perfect and public education needs a serious overhaul in general, this school is on a recent upswing and I am proud to be a teacher employed there.

Posted August 30, 2008
The school was moving in the right direction last year. It is a performing plus school. The state came and took over this school and now the school seems to be going down hill. Staff morale seems very low and the principal cannot communicate with parents.

Posted April 28, 2006
Very nice school, but too big. Has 3000 students

Cesar E Chavez Community School 1

Posted January 10, 2006
Chavez lacks organization and leadership. The new principal is trying however; teacher involvement or lack thereof is disappointing. This school caters to the none English speaking community, I am Hispanic and unimpressed with the lack of interest on the faculty's part unless you do not speak English and the district office is no better. Unfortunately, now my choices are limited considering all but a few school's in this district are 'failing. The middle school teachers I have met all but one (Ms. Strange) lack compassion and motivation. As for elementary teachers, only one deserves recognition that would be Ms. Hawken. These two teachers are great; unfortunately, no one else can hold a candle to them, thank you both for coming into my children's lives. I wish I had positive things to say regretfully I do not. If you have a choice, I would strongly recommend you send your child to another school even district if possible. The PTSO is what I have seen a joke. This school has no strive for greatness and even less enthusiasm. I believe only 10% of the student body will further their education, which is not encouraged by the staff, or at least I have never seen it.

Cesar E Chavez Community School 2

Posted June 08, 2005
I was impressed with new building and my child s kindergarten teacher as well as the art teacher. I was not impressed with school front office secretaries who never had enough information about the school or the Principal and Assistant Principal who were never accessible to the parents. Very unorganized, letters/flyers sent home with child were misspelled and not written in proper English. No (PTA) Parent Teacher Association or attempt to construct one. There were some nice family nights at school but not enough to make up for all the negatives. Went on field trip with my child class and was very concerned with the lack of supervision the children had and the lack of organization and professionalism of the teachers. My child will be attending another school for 1st grade.

Cesar E Chavez Community School 3

Posted May 13, 2005
Chavez offers a lot of after school programs for the students: choir, dance, drama, tutoring, and various sports. There is a need for stronger parental involvement, as well as leadership.

Cesar E Chavez Community School 5

Posted September 09, 2003
Cesar Chavez is a striving school and we welcome any and all parents to participate in any way they can.We need your involvement to help keep our children learning and growing. Mrs Osnato 1st grade and Mr. Garcia 3rd grade are exceptional teachers and provide the best teaching for the children. Way to go guy's! Keep up the good work!

Cesar E Chavez Community School
4001 South Third Street, Phoenix, AZ  85040
Last modified Cesar E Chavez Community School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cesar E Chavez Community School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top