Chaparral Elementary School

Public | PK-6 & ungraded

Posted May 30, 2013

My daughters attended the 4 Year Old Enrichment program here, as well as Kindergarten. They loved it and I really like the school and staff. All the teachers seem to communicate well and we have had no issues. Parents are very involved which the school encourages.

Posted July 22, 2010

My daughter's teachers for the past two years have been very skilled educators. I feel she has gotten lucky to have such great teachers. The principal is great with the kids, but definitely lacks the social skills of the adult kind. The administrative staff is what irritates me. I understand there are certain procedures that you need to follow but must it always come off as being trite. I also don't feel that they are the nicest that they could possibly be even a quarter of the time. Other than that I would've given it 5 stars.

Posted August 20, 2009

The current principle, Dr. Schofield is absolutelty wonderful with the children. He is beyond words a great principle to my children; however, when it comes to adults he falters. He is at times great with parents, yet I have first hand witnessed on multiple occasions him being verbally abusive to his teachers, staff, and pta leaders! The eye opening events really put a sour taste in my mouth for him, and I am so let down that I had him up on this pedestool and he has shown some ugly true colors over the years. I will still rate this school high becauuse my children love it, and some of the teachers are fantastic! To name a few that rise above and beyond: Mrs Irusta, Mrs Huddleson, Mrs Singer, Mr Poggie, Mrs Gillespie, Mrs Plemons, and Mrs Witskey

Posted February 19, 2008

I think this school is the best because it really teaches the kids a lot. They have great after school programs like Advance Skippers (jump rope), skippers (jump rope), and plays. woulwoulwohighly recomend this school
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 2, 2007

My son just finished Kindergarden and my daughter just finished 3rd grade. This school was far above my daughter's last school. The teachers are attentive, work with the kids and the school actually communicates withthe parents. They make themselves available via e-mail and keep my kids invovled. They worked well with them on curriculum not just for testing, but beyond that. I was very pleased.

Posted May 24, 2007

I think this school is the worst school possibly possible. The project potential program is practically the only good thing about this school. The teachers, students, everything, are terrible.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 3, 2007

Chaparral Elementary is a great school. The staff and teachers there are wonderful and have offered a great learning environment for my daughter. She has been there for 2 yrs. The only thing I was a little disappointed is that the classes were a little bit large for 1st an 2nd graders.

Posted March 2, 2007

I like chaparral, but they are very traditional. When I have visited my children's classrooms which are in lower grades, they spend almost all day in their seats doing individual work. I believe children learn better by working hands on and communicating with others.

Posted November 30, 2006

This is our first year @ Chaparral Elementary. I feel is has been such a blessing. My daughters are so happy and love to go to school. The staff really cares about every child. I wish we had more parents involved in the PTA. There is so much more that we could be doing for our students if more parents got involved.

Posted October 4, 2006

We recently moved to Arizona from California and we feel blessed to have found Chaparral! My son loves going to school. We love the teachers and the principal. He loves the 'special' classes such as art, music and pe. My son's self-esteem has soared since the beginning of school.

Posted July 14, 2006

Although morale among teachers seemed to be low in past years, I have seen huge improvements over the last year since there has been a new principal. I had nothing but positive experiences with teachers in 2005/2006 school year and my daughter's experience was very positive at Chaparral this last year.

Posted March 31, 2006

I would have to agree with prior reviews, HOWEVER, this school year 2005/2006 we have a new principal who is wonderful. He has made some wonderful changes and this school has improved overall because of it. I think the academics are providing our children with the knowledge they need to achieve, they have extracurricular activities for everyone. Parent involvement has increased this year with the help of more activities for families to attend!

Posted September 14, 2005

My family just moved to Arizona within the past month and we are already ready to pull my son out of Chaparral. Everyday my son tells me he does not want to go back! Last year he couldn't wait to get to school.

Posted March 16, 2005

I can tell you that my son will not attend chaparral next year. The thing that gets me is the amount of times the schools automated message dialer constantly calls my phone to tell me about things that are already put in newsletters and flyers(Papa Johns pizza night, days off for what have you, and to donate money money money). The parking lot is a frenzy and rules put in the newsletter about parking lot never enforced. No communication between faculty and parents, poorly maintained grounds , and the preschool charges $2,000 a year. Just a poor experience. I called the principal about my son getting money stolen from his backpack and I never recieved any response, they just blew me off.

Posted March 4, 2005

My son and daughter have been attending this school for almost a year now- I highly recommend choosing another school. Teachers are insensitive and the academic programs aren't great either- My oldest went from almost a straight 'A' average last yr at his previous school and has taken a serious nose dive since attending this one! Not to mention the fact that he now has 0 self esteem no thanks to the teachers/administrations serious lack of handling bullies and implementing some type of disciplinary rules- thanks to this school, my son now hates school more every day. We will be pulling both of my kids out of this school asap! Beware!

Posted September 22, 2004

some teachers here are rude,uncaring and have no business teachung children at any level. they are harsh, cold hearted and insensitive to students needs. they yell and scream at students.they berate the students and will not listens to parents concerns! rec do not send your child there if you can. refer to private or christian schools. will harm your childs self esteem and moral!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted August 18, 2004

I am extremely disappointed in this school---its leadership, many of its teachers and staff (though certainly not all), the parents and the facility. The student population has really changed compared with five or six years ago. It has become far more transient and has declined significantly socioeconomically. Many of the teachers are burned out, the principal is untrustworthy and underhanded and the librarian has an anger management problem. If not for a few specific great teachers, I would pull my children out of the school immediately.

Posted May 25, 2004

Used to be a great school, until new principal showed up. I'm pulling my kids out asap. Library services are being cut down to pay for administration (non-teaching, non-custodial, non-janitorial) positions. Teachers are trying hard to make due, but the overall morale is dropping rapidly.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 62%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (602) 896-5320

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now