Cholla Middle School

Public | 7-8 | 740 students

Meeting the academic, social and emotional needs of all our students.

Sweep tile

Posted July 30, 2013

Cholla Middle School "Is a GREAT place to be"!!! That has been the slogan since my son has started this school and he just recently promoted to the 9th grade. The office staff was always so helpful even with dealing with outrageous parents whose child could do no wrong. They greeted you with a smile and "Have a good day" were their exit words. The Principal was always helpful and to answer any parents concerns. The Student advisor dealt with the discipline and student schedules in a very timely manner. The teachers were all good with cordinating any meetings with parents to keep them up to date with students progress and with the district getting up to spped, all teachers have thier own website where you can go in and check the calendars of the students agendas and assignments schedules. The cafeteria might not have the food that an average teenager would want to eat but it was all design to make sure that our students are eating the right portion of a average meal. If we can get more parents involved in their child school, the PTO could use some help. I could go on and on with this review but there are not enough words to express how much Cholla "Is a GREAT place to be"!!

Posted June 8, 2013

I just promoted from Cholla and I have to say that those were the best two school years I've ever experienced. The advanced classes and gifted program is great. I feel well prepared for honors classes in high school. All of my teachers and the staff members were very nice, respectful, caring, and helpful. I have no complaints.

Posted May 21, 2013

My school is Cholla Middle School. The office staff is unfriendly and there is never any parking for parents in the front parking lot. You get the feeling that the heads of this school have their own agenda and could care less about any concerns you convey, It is like they are dismissing you and just nodding in agreement and then never act on it just to get you off the phone or out of their office.

Posted March 10, 2013

I am a parent of three children who has and one that still is in this school. I have lived here for twenty years. I have to admit it was not the model school in the past. I know that there are a lot of teachers and staff that are going above and beyond what is required of them to ensure that our children are doing and being the best they can be. I believe we have one of the best Principals leading the charge to achieve greatness in all our children.

Posted February 27, 2013

Cholla has a great teachers who do care for your education. They make sure that every student is safe from harm. Also, the principal is very trustworthy and very easy to talk too. Cholla middle is the best middle school you can go to. I switched from different schools and this one is the best by far. Go to this school, you will NOT regret it!

Posted August 9, 2012

I was enrolled to this school for 11-12, it was a HORRIBLE school. The students were harsh on each other, fights often happen, and there was no way you feel safe at this school. In elementary school, I used to be straight A's, now when i transfer here, I get straight F's and D's and I'm one of those good students too! They give me the "cold" shoulder because I "talked" back to one of my teachers, which I didn't. I just corrected her that her answer was wrong, and mine was right, and I showed her where she went wrong, and then compared it to mine. She then yells at me, give me a bunch of homework, and then I guess she told the other students and teachers to give me the "cold shoulder" and bad grades as well. This school is a disgrace. I will never go back to this school, Cholla say Palo Verde was a bad school, but I disagree, Palo Verde is MUCH MUCH better school than Cholla. They actually don't yell at you, and admit their mistakes! The only thing that I like about Cholla is probably the principal, because he used to be my Elementary Prinicpal. He comforts me because he knows me.(being the principal and all from my elementary school) Don't waste your time to go to this school.

Posted August 16, 2011

I attended this school two years ago, and I must say, my experience here was the worst I've ever had at a school. The whole student I.D. rule is pointless. If you don't visibly wear your I.D. around your neck you get lunch detention. The whole school was littered with trash and fights happened every other week. You are not allowed to bring book bags or backpacks. Instead all your supplies and papers must be kept in a binders, which you carry around everyday (which leads to students knocking down other student's binders on purpose). Once you walked into the basketball courts during lunch, there's no turning back until lunch hour is over. Not even to go to the bathroom. All my classes behaved badly. My time in 7th and 8th grade were miserable. I'd prefer High School any day. The only thing that I enjoyed was when guest speaker Calvin Terrell came and spoke with the school.

Posted April 26, 2011

I love this school , and I am so happy becouse my son happy when he gose to school.

Posted April 25, 2011

Very blaise attitude afforded by teachers towards students that are average and below (GPA - wise). The school has an overall feeling of great stagnation - and it has permeated (in my keen opinion) throughout the school and student attitude. This school should be shuttered and fumigated (again, in my opinion) - a fresh, brand new start-over may be the recipe here... but, alas, it may be too late to save the sinking ship ....

Posted October 19, 2010

This school has a very warm and inviting environment. The administration, staff, and teachers seem to genunely care about the students on this campus. My children absolutely love drama class and PE. The new Principal is very friendly and helpful too.

Posted July 16, 2010

I am a gifted student attending Cholla Middle School. The gifted program (FLEX) is a very close knit family of teachers, students, and advisers. It is terrific to have very educated and professional teachers that know how to get the job done right, and not drift us to sleep. It was a truly memorable experience to work in such a productive environment.

Posted June 5, 2010

i loved the school ... the finest girl and who will forever and eternally be popular is in the history books there her name was Bianca Monique High

Posted March 19, 2010

Cholla Middle school has gone down. My oler brother was a student a few years ago. Back then the school had more after school activites. I have learned somethings but I do not feel challenged. Mostly she school if full of drama. Cholla Middle School could be doing better.

Posted November 25, 2009

This school is the best for my daughter. I am glad I chose this school. Everything I need is based on this school. Thanks for everything Ms.Brenda Case and Woodwark and for all the teachers, keep up the good work.

Posted September 16, 2009

Our school is AWESOME!! The teachers really work together to make the school environment a safe and interesting place to learn. We have an amazing after school program with everything from math enrichment to reader's theatre to organic gardening! Our population is diverse and our students are terrific.

Posted April 21, 2009

This school has taught me everything i need to know even more.They have a great range of staff that are kind and care aboout the students needs. They keep us active and excited to learn. I highly reccomend it

Posted March 22, 2009

I am a current student attendinq Cholla MIddle SChool. I love it. The teachers are great, and the activities are funn, and if I were to say I did not learn anything, I would be lying.

Posted January 21, 2009

Choola Middle school is an excellent school. Everyone here is nice and wonderful. The athletic programs include girls/boys volleyball, girls/boys basketball, boys/girls soccer, wrestling, cross country, track, and girls softball. As well as the academic programs there are regular courses along with an elective. Lunch is excellent but could be healthier! Overall Cholla is a great school. Go Chargers!

Posted September 10, 2008

I really have a love for this school. It is excellent in education that is. We do have dram as most schools do but it get resolved by our terrific student service specialists. Ms. Watters and Mr. Nevling. We have a great and fun principal Brenda Case and an awsome asssitant princiapla Tim Woodword.

Posted August 29, 2008

I'm in 7th grade and I go to this school. I think this school is excellent and highly recommended. And the campus is very safe for all.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

352 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

352 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

351 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

457 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

457 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian 3% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 66%N/A46%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Emotional behavioral disabilities
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
  • Phil Garitson
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (602) 896-5420

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced placement courses
  • Gifted / high performing
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Spanish
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Remediation
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Poetry
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Anime club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
Lakeview
Tumbleweed
Sunset

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Moon Valley