Public charter
Phoenix, AZ
Before care: Yes

Adams Traditional Academy 4

Posted November 23, 2014
My child has attended Adams Pre-K, K & 1st. FYI Our 13 yr old attends Deer Valley so we have "outside" view. Adams CONS: lots of hmwrk & requirements (book rpts, reading logs, poems, etc) so lots to keep track of, as parent I feel I am teaching vs. encouraging w/hmwrk, VERY high standards - maybe a little too high? school/parent communication could improve, uses Spalding/Singapore methods which r great but most parents don't know so hard to help w/hmwrk (perhaps school needs to remember and offer assistance more) PROS: Child is doing well (little stressed over hmwrk), love uniforms & "stricter" atmosphere (less noise/chaos/respect required), Principal/staff open to talk & resolve issues, curriculum hard but gives child opportunity to achieve great levels that may not have been pushed at other schools. Results so far - GREAT my 1st grader is reading chapter books!! Overall, we are pleased w/Adams. After almost 3 yrs there I would still make same choice. If u r looking at Adams be sure to consider they do use Spalding & Singapore Math and they have HIGH expectations and hmwrk levels. This WILL require more time/involvement as a parent - but our kids r worth it!

Posted October 27, 2014
In terms of education the quality is high, but in terms of leadership and how children are treated I would only give this school a 1. Bullying is acceptable from the children to the adults, communication is horrible, and now they shame the elementary students by handing out detentions left and right. I would be awesome if this school could find a healthy balance between education and the children. New leadership is definitely needed, and if you don't like the way they do something, you will be shown the door and told that this school is not for everyone. I have never been more disappointed in our education system.

Posted October 17, 2014
My child has been attending ATA since 3rd grade, which is also the 2nd year they had been open. ATA is not for every family. It does take a lot of parent involvement, particularly in the lower grades. I've read some of the reviews. Good and bad, as far as the teacher turnover, you'll have that in every school. Of course some teachers are better then others. They try to hold on to the "good ones". It is a very high demand job, that's not for every teacher. I believe the curriculum has helped push my child to be the best she could be. Looking forward to Jefferson Prep (ATA High School).

Adams Traditional Academy 3

Posted October 08, 2014
As a parent, I love the structure at school. Our child has attended for 3 years now. The Curriculum is challenging, our only struggle is the long nights of HW which include Studying for test.

Posted August 26, 2014
For the person who wrote this review: " My kid is in ATB preschool program, their preschool program is nothing but BABY SITTING. . ." I STRONGLY disagree! My child was there 2 years and came out knowing ALL her letters/sounds; she recited poetry; she was more than prepared for kinder. In fact, when I looked at the regular public school in our neighborhood, what they were doing in K was what she did in preschool at ATB. We opted to stay at ATA because of this. We didn't want a repeat of what she already knew. Just a few weeks into K, my child is ready to read. That would not be the case if she had just been "baby sat".

Posted July 24, 2014
I wrote the last review and hit five stars. I do not how it changed to one. I love Adams!!! I hope to get it fixed ASAP.

Posted July 24, 2014
We love having our children attend Adams! At first, I was concerned by the heavy homework load and strictness. After a year, I found out that your child brings home tons of homework if they aren't finishing the work in class. Now my kids do the class work in class and bring home very little homework. Our children feel very safe and comfortable with strict guidelines for behavior and dress code. We are ecstatic with our choice! But it takes a huge amount of parental involvement and focus.

Posted June 17, 2014
This school looks very good at first glance but there are problems below the surface. The turnover of teachers is truly alarming. Also the demands expected of children causes anxiety that is not worth the payoffs. Children are held behind in upper grades and will end up hating school. The resources department is very small and not equipped to handle the demands of the children who need the services. Parents read the reviews and think that this school will be a magic cure for children with demanding disabilities. If your child is ready to devote their life for the next year to schoolwork and nothing more than by all means send your child here.

Posted April 18, 2014
Adams is very academically challenging, which for some Is a good thing! We switched to Adams due to some bullying issues at the local public school. We had a fantastic 2nd grade teacher who was very understanding to the "transition period" that new students go through to get used to the rigorous curriculum and homework demands. I have found, though, the turnover rate for teachers is VERY high bc of the demands of the job at this school. Third grade was an entirely DIFFERENT story. My son (who is a good student and very well behaved!) was regularly bringing home homework that took 60-90 mins to complete, he was constantly criticized, and ended up HATING school. Third grade is a tough year at Adams and they tell you that at orientation! We are switching to a school with similar philosophy, but with teachers that want to make learning fun and less homework demands so that my children can participate in afterschool activities and still be kids!

Posted April 08, 2014
Adams Traditional Academy is huge step forward from the public school my kids were attending. The teachers really care if the children are succeeding.

Adams Traditional Academy
2323 W. Parkside Lane, Phoenix, AZ  85027
Last modified Adams Traditional Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Adams Traditional Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top