Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

My daughter has attended ATA for K and 1st grade. There are many things we like about the school but also many things we struggled with. I was not familiar with the Spalding method and had to learn it help my Dtr. Parents must be willing to spend time each afternoon to do hw, review spelling works, phonograms etc (and thats not including book reports, poems, reading logs etc) In K, each Thursday students take spelling and phonogram test and if they get 100 they dont have to take the test on Friday. Sounds nice but teachers were made to write the names of the kids who got 100 on a special board and announce it to the class and on Friday they were allowed to have "fun time" doing cool activities while the hand full of students had to retake the test and were not allowed to participate in "fun time". In first grade, words were marked off if it looked like a capital letter ex South, the s was slightly bigger but spelling was correct. School is stricted which we liked but it did seem overboard. In 1st grade, we decided to start Kumon (to get our Dtr ahead so she hopefully wouldn't stress so much) and found most of my Dtr's 1st grade class all ready enrolled...no wonder the reading and math score are so high! Kumon is a 7 day program, adding 30-60mins of worksheets/ night but was very effective. My Dtr had 98/99 on progress report cards in 1st grade for all subjects. The only problem was with ATA hw/spelling etc, and Kumon we didn't have time for music or any extra curricular activities...and even though my Dtr was always getting 100 on Thursday tests she was still stressed and getting stomach aches and just not excited about learning! A lot of learning for us as parents...we are switching charter schools for 2nd grade to something less strict and that will hopefully foster a joy for learning.

Adams is a wonderful school. The kids are learning really advanced, interesting, life skills and character. They are patriotic and conservative and the kids wear uniforms to focus on academics. The students are very kind to one another and are taught to show respect for their teachers. There is alot of homework but it's not unreasonable. The student teacher ratio is very low and for the younger grades there are teacher's aides.

I feel so blessed to have such a wonderful school for my children. I have had nothing but good experiences with administration and staff. The high level of education and responsibility can be tough, but totally worth it.

Our child was transferred here during the second grade year and did great. In fact, we were asked to consider putting them into the gifted class. Third grade was the exact opposite. We started to notice a lot of safety issues on the playground and in fact warned administration that it would only be a matter of time before a child was seriously hurt. Little did we know that it would be our child. While our child was in the hospital, I received emails from the teacher telling me that our child had missed a lot of school and that he really needed to be there. Yes, we agree but when a child is in the hospital, some support would be nice. Our child was knocked unconscious on the playground (accident) but the adult that was there and alerted, simply picked him up and told him he was fine. Later I get a phone call that he has a fat lip. No mention about the loss of consciousness. I realized at dinner there was a problem when he couldn't tell me how he had gotten a fat lip. It took a week for the school to come clean with us and the doctors about what had happened. Our child was medically not able to return to school for the last qtr and the support from the school was limited. When we got all of his belongings back after the year had ended, we find out that everything had been broken, used, or missing. Thought that this school taught respect of others as one of their hallmarks. Definitely didn't show in our case and not returning.

I absolutely love Adams Traditional Academy. I have many children who attend and have for years. I have children with varying abilities from gifted to special Education. They are able to meet all their needs and help them to excel. I love the high expectations and parent involvement. My children love school and look forward to going. That means a lot to me as a parent.

We had a great teacher but the administration needs to be respectful of parents concerns and questions about school policies need to be answered in a timely manner. Overall because of the disrespectful way the administration treats the parents I wouldn't recommend this school. We are unheard and talked down to even though they claim to be a parent oriented school. Very disappointing. Been there 3 years, changing schools.

My child has attended Adams Pre-K, K & 1st. FYI Our 13 yr old attends Deer Valley so we have "outside" view. Adams CONS: lots of hmwrk & requirements (book rpts, reading logs, poems, etc) so lots to keep track of, as parent I feel I am teaching vs. encouraging w/hmwrk, VERY high standards - maybe a little too high? school/parent communication could improve, uses Spalding/Singapore methods which r great but most parents don't know so hard to help w/hmwrk (perhaps school needs to remember and offer assistance more) PROS: Child is doing well (little stressed over hmwrk), love uniforms & "stricter" atmosphere (less noise/chaos/respect required), Principal/staff open to talk & resolve issues, curriculum hard but gives child opportunity to achieve great levels that may not have been pushed at other schools. Results so far - GREAT my 1st grader is reading chapter books!! Overall, we are pleased w/Adams. After almost 3 yrs there I would still make same choice. If u r looking at Adams be sure to consider they do use Spalding & Singapore Math and they have HIGH expectations and hmwrk levels. This WILL require more time/involvement as a parent - but our kids r worth it!

In terms of education the quality is high, but in terms of leadership and how children are treated I would only give this school a 1. Bullying is acceptable from the children to the adults, communication is horrible, and now they shame the elementary students by handing out detentions left and right. I would be awesome if this school could find a healthy balance between education and the children. New leadership is definitely needed, and if you don't like the way they do something, you will be shown the door and told that this school is not for everyone. I have never been more disappointed in our education system.

My child has been attending ATA since 3rd grade, which is also the 2nd year they had been open. ATA is not for every family. It does take a lot of parent involvement, particularly in the lower grades. I've read some of the reviews. Good and bad, as far as the teacher turnover, you'll have that in every school. Of course some teachers are better then others. They try to hold on to the "good ones". It is a very high demand job, that's not for every teacher. I believe the curriculum has helped push my child to be the best she could be. Looking forward to Jefferson Prep (ATA High School).

As a parent, I love the structure at school. Our child has attended for 3 years now. The Curriculum is challenging, our only struggle is the long nights of HW which include Studying for test.

Last modified Adams Traditional Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.