Painted Rock Academy - Reid Traditional Schools

Charter | PK-8 | 510 students

We are in the top 2% of AZ schools for annual student academic growth, rated "A"

Living in Phoenix

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $104,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $700.

School Official Point of View

Posted August 29, 2013

Painted Rock Academy's teachers and students are amazing! Thanks to their efforts, we earned an "A" rating from the AZ Dept. of Education, in part because we scored in the top 2% for annual student academic growth. It's a joy to work with such great kids and dedicated, creative teachers. If you are looking for a rigorous academic curriculum that also includes Art, Music, P.E., Spanish, and Technology classes, you will find we have all that here. We believe in individual student accountability, and we welcome parent involvement. Our teachers are nurturing, and we make sure to maintain a safe school for your child. We have high academic and behavior expectations for the students, and the kids are happy to rise to the challenge. Past students from Reid Traditional Schools have a history of success in advanced Honors, AP, and IB high school classes. A strong traditional foundation (including instruction in phonics, memorized math facts, handwriting, algebra, history, grammar, classical literature, and critical thinking) sets the stage for future achievement. We are enrolling students now for the current school year, so come visit me at Painted Rock Academy and learn how we can help meet your family's education goals.

Posted January 24, 2013

IMPRESSED! I am a mother of two and was seeking a charter school that follows a traditional curriculum. I did a great deal of research in the Phoenix area and because of the great reputation I found in REID Traditional Schools, I was excited about the prospect of becoming a part of their brand new campus, Painted Rock Academy. The teachers are caring and professional and both of my children are excited to come to school and learn. The facility and grounds are very clean. The front office staff are welcoming and helpful, and every time I have been on campus I never find administration in their office. They are always in the hallways and classrooms, and I have seen first hand how much they interact with their staff and students. I find both the principal and assistant principal to be very approachable. My children are being challenged, and I have seen great progress. You never would know that Painted Rock Academy was in their first year. I have recommended Painted Rock Academy to friends, and plan to continue to do so!

Posted December 12, 2012

After being on the waitlist for some time at Valley Academy, we were very excited to find out this sister campus was opening and have our kids accepted. We have children in kindergarten and 4th grade here. First off, the academcs are above anything I've seen in our prior public school. We knew the expectations would be higher but the traditional concept is wonderful. Parent involvment is expected, as it should be. The teachers are always very responsive and are very caring. Safety is a major concern here, which is reassuring. The principal is wonderful. She is always visible and it's not uncommon to see her in the morning help direct traffic, assisting as needed, or stopping you to ask if you are happy with the school. The staff is friendly and helpful. The after-school program emphasizes cirriculum and they have various after school activities (i.e. sports, art, dance). We are very happy here and feel our children are getting the best education possible.

Posted October 19, 2012

Painted Rock Academy and Valley Academy really does push the kids to a new level they didn't know they could achieve. Very pleased.

Posted October 10, 2012

We are so happy we enrolled our son in this school. Our son has always struggled with math and we were concerned about his performance in this school because they have an advanced curriculum. Math did not come easy to him at the start of the year, but his teacher gave up her lunch hour in order to give him one on one instruction. Now he loves math and is always eager to come home and share with us all the new things he has learned! I can not believe how much he has improved in such a short time! Every staff member has always been polite and cheerful to me, when I am on campus. The teachers are friendly and helpful and I believe they truly care about students. My son always seems to get the help he needs and he is happy and excited about learning! The only thing lacking in this school is musical instruments for the students to play. I would highly recommend this school to parents because students get the support they need to be successful with a challanging curriculum. The school provides a safe orderly environment and a private school education without the tuition! I think it is a great place for kids to learn!

Posted October 10, 2012

I am a parent who has come from another Traditional school, and have been impressed with Painted Rock's curriculum, and specials that include a foreign language. I am on campus everyday and have seen the staff in action - they are friendly, and excited to be at this new campus. They are concerned about security issues, and have been making changes as soon as issues arise. I have spoken with the principal several times - she is very approachable and eager to make our school (and students) a success! Both the principal and vice principal are visible on campus before and after school, assisting with drop-off and pick-up times. This is a brand new school, and there are going to be kinks and wrinkles to straighten out, but I think they are doing a great job in the short amount of time we've been there. The front office staff is very friendly and helpful as well - greeting everyone that comes in the door. I LOVE the "morning assemblies" that they have implemented each month! The entire school gathers together to sing a patriotic song, say the pledge, and recognize students from each grade for a "job well done." I have attended them, and it is a neat experience!

Posted October 10, 2012

We are happy to have chosen this school for our children. This school offers challenging academics, great extra curriculum classes , including Spanish, in a clean safe environment. Our experience at this school has been the best that we can remember from any other schools any of our five children have attended. Teachers are caring, dedicated, encouraging and have high expectations. The administration has always been welcoming, helpful and very involved with students and parents. I really like how they will stop any parent and student and ask, "How are you?" "How is everything going"? That means a lot and shows their interest. Our children are hoping that sports will start soon. We think Painted Rock Academy is off to a great start. We are excited to be here!!

Posted October 9, 2012

Well first of all I want to say we were super excited to have been excepted into this school for my daughters first grade year. Things seemed fine for awhile until she came home and told me that the students were not allowed to use the restroom except for during lunch and recess. If they asked to go they were told no and if it was an emergency then they were punished. So I spoke to the teacher and was told this was a school policy. I then went to the principal and was told this was not the case and she would speak to the teacher. I then received a nasty phone call from the teacher who was very rude and unprofessional. I was shut out of my daughters classroom never welcome to volunteer. Then the end all was when my daughters teacher did not even show up for school one day and her entire first grade class was left alone on the playground without a single staff member outside with them. I pulled my daughter from this school and placed her elsewhere. The principal is very in your face/ defensive about any issues you may have and the staff is mean and uncaring. If I could give this school 0 stars I would. Parents if considering this school I recommend you keep looking.

Posted September 27, 2012

My son is a 7th grade student at Painted Rock Academy. We were a little reluctant to move him from his last school but we are so glad we did. He is so excited about his teachers and classes. While my son usually maintained average grades in school thus far, this is the first time I've seen him really engaged in learning and he seems proud of himself and he feels successful. I can't say enough about the staff and administration and how welcoming they have been to our family. I am confident that my son is getting a well rounded education with all the basics, plus arts, computers and even a foreign language. I highly recommend this school.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

The Arizona Department of Education did not report AZ LEARNS results for this school.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Computer specialist(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:15 p.m.
  • Mrs. Leslie Szostak
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (623) 455-3270

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • College prep
  • Direct instruction
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Spalding Language, Saxon Math
  • Standards-based
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student council/government

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom